C Channel vs. tube trailers ?'s opinions.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: C Channel vs. tube trailers ?'s opinions.

Why would you need closed cell foam if you had the tubes completely welded shut?

Because you can't guarantee the welds will be 100% waterproof, especially five years after the fact. Foam doesn't weigh much, and the closed-cell foam will help keep any water out that does try to get in there.

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

Here are a couple of pics down the tubes of my broken trailer. As you can see this tube is deteriorating from the inside through out the entire trailer. The paint looks good though. I added a bunch of other pics to this post:

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=367302&page=4

DSC00174.jpg

DSC00176.jpg

So which tube is that? the tongue tube?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

I have had a few trailers re galvanized but it's usually just not worth the work to strip it down and cart it over to the galvanizing plant. I've done a few smaller trailers that I really liked but only because I had a buddy that worked there at the time.

My biggest complaint with any trailer is rusty hardware and rusty fenders. I've yet to see a set of fenders last more than a few years here, whether made of galvanized steel, plastic, or aluminum. The steel rusts out from the bottom edges and bolt holes, plastic gets cooked in the sun and cracks, and aluminum corrodes away from dissimilar metal issues.

I've come to the point where I consider fenders sacrificial items as well, I just buy them by the dozen and replace them every two years, or when the rust and fall off.
My trailer is at least 13 years old and has the plastic fenders. They are still nice and pliable. Maybe it is a matter of getting the right type plastic with uv inhibitors or something.
Mine sits in the Florida sun.

When you had any trailer galvanized or re-galvanized, did you have to strip the old galvanizing off or did they just sand blast the rusty spot, de-grease it and dunk it again???

Alpheus

Lieutenant Commander

So which tube is that? the tongue tube?

Its the long tubes that run the length of the trailer...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Because you can't guarantee the welds will be 100% waterproof, especially five years after the fact. Foam doesn't weigh much, and the closed-cell foam will help keep any water out that does try to get in there.
I have a feeling you haven't done much welding. You can easily weld so they are watertight. how are you planning on getting this foam in? Before or after the welding?

scottcmb

Seaman

My trailer is at least 13 years old and has the plastic fenders. They are still nice and pliable. Maybe it is a matter of getting the right type plastic with uv inhibitors or something.

When you had any trailer galvanized or re-galvanized, did you have to strip the old galvanizing off or did they just sand blast the rusty spot, de-grease it and dunk it again???

the galvanizing plant will usually sandblast then lay the job into a caustic bath for a period of time (the worse your trailer is the longer it stays in caustic) then it is soaked in acid to remove the old galvanising inside and out then it is dipped into a flux bath then into the vat of zinc and is coated.

scottcmb

Seaman

Why would you need closed cell foam if you had the tubes completely welded shut?

you will find that most "hot dip" galvanizers wont galvanize weld sealed tube of anysort due to the fact that there can be no garantee on the quality of the weld to handle pressure. Pressure you might ask?.....well when a sealed tube or tank is submerged into a vat that is heated the tube or vessel will also heat up and pressure is created inside the tube....the hotter the temperature the higher the pressure that forms.......imagine a sealed tube that has a weld failure under pressure whilst it is in a vat of molten zinc......workers will be at huge risk of being showered with molten zinc from the bursting tube.

reelfishin

Captain

I have one Shoremaster trailer, and one Shoreland'r trailer, both are 1200lb trailers and both use PVC or plastic fenders. The Shoremaster is a 2005, it's fenders are intact but look like aligator skin, it sits with a boat shadowing the fenders most of the time. The Shoreland'r trailer has full plastic fenders, they are badly yellowed and will make dust if you rub them. The plastic fenders have all but turned to powder. There are several holes blown through them from rocks flying off the tire tread. The fender brackets are badly rusted on both, neither would likely be reusable if I replace the fenders. Neither see saltwater use very often, both have been rinsed off every time they saw any use. They do sit more than they are actively used. Having several boats, they see more use in the spring during prime bass fishing season, the one on occasion get used when I go crabbing.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

you will find that most "hot dip" galvanizers wont galvanize weld sealed tube of anysort due to the fact that there can be no garantee on the quality of the weld to handle pressure. Pressure you might ask?.....well when a sealed tube or tank is submerged into a vat that is heated the tube or vessel will also heat up and pressure is created inside the tube....the hotter the temperature the higher the pressure that forms.......imagine a sealed tube that has a weld failure under pressure whilst it is in a vat of molten zinc......workers will be at huge risk of being showered with molten zinc from the bursting tube.
I agree with you. Why would anyone galvanlize a trailer with closed tubes?

jeeperman

Lieutenant Commander

the galvanizing plant will usually sandblast then lay the job into a caustic bath for a period of time (the worse your trailer is the longer it stays in caustic) then it is soaked in acid to remove the old galvanising inside and out then it is dipped into a flux bath then into the vat of zinc and is coated.
I new it all had to be super clean to be galvanized. I wonder why they can't just super clean it and add more galvanizing to what is still there???
Maybe they do it so that they can get to any rust that might be hidden beneath the old galvanizing??

204Angler

Seaman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable would discuss the differences
in strength, cost, longevity, etc. of each type of trailer. basically pros and
cons of each. I'm going to have to replace the trailer for the boat I just bought, an EZ loader tubing trailer thats severely rusted from salt use and
was leaning toward another tubing trailer until I read more about them
rusting through quickly. I have found a junk boat sitting on a galvanized
shorelandr tube trailer and wanted to know if this would be better or
should I just buy a c channel trailer? Does shorelandr galvanize the inside
of the tubing or just the outside. I would hope they do both considering
how much they cost new. How do you guys feel about karavan tube trailers?[/QUOTE]

I was on a budget so could not buy a brand new aluminum I-beam so I bought a new Karavan. No complaints. Great trailer. Bought it new from Lanier Marine in GA for $1900 (Tandem axle) as opposed to a $2600 AL I-beam. It had good submersible lights, hydraulic surge brakes on both axles. I fish in saltwater so right when I got it, before I put boat on I sprayed the springs and a bunch of hardware with a rust stopper. They now have the trailers with the oil bearings which are superior to traditional grease bearings in every aspect

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

[QUOTEThey now have the trailers with the oil bearings which are superior to traditional grease bearings in every aspect
Until the rear seal leaks, which they will, allowing the oil to drain out while driving down the highway. Your first indication of a problem will be the smoke pouring out of the wheel well.

Lots of reports of failure. Several large trailer manufacturers now no longer recommend them for use. I'll stick to good old gearing in my bearing housings.

scottcmb

Seaman

I new it all had to be super clean to be galvanized. I wonder why they can't just super clean it and add more galvanizing to what is still there???
Maybe they do it so that they can get to any rust that might be hidden beneath the old galvanizing??

if there was rust underneith the old galv it would just flake away already.
they strip the old due to the fact that it will have impurities in it that has built up over time.....especially salts.....as i quoted before that the galvanising is actually a sacrificial anode coating, once its done its job and your trailer starts rusting its time to re- coat it! the same way it is for motors and your boat

scottcmb

Seaman

Until the rear seal leaks, which they will, allowing the oil to drain out while driving down the highway. Your first indication of a problem will be the smoke pouring out of the wheel well.

Lots of reports of failure. Several large trailer manufacturers now no longer recommend them for use. I'll stick to good old gearing in my bearing housings.

I Totally agree with you there about oil bath bearings!!!

scottcmb

Seaman

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was hoping some of the more knowledgeable would discuss the differences
in strength, cost, longevity, etc. of each type of trailer. basically pros and
cons of each. I'm going to have to replace the trailer for the boat I just bought, an EZ loader tubing trailer thats severely rusted from salt use and
was leaning toward another tubing trailer until I read more about them
rusting through quickly. I have found a junk boat sitting on a galvanized
shorelandr tube trailer and wanted to know if this would be better or
should I just buy a c channel trailer? Does shorelandr galvanize the inside
of the tubing or just the outside. I would hope they do both considering
how much they cost new. How do you guys feel about karavan tube trailers?[/QUOTE]

I was on a budget so could not buy a brand new aluminum I-beam so I bought a new Karavan. No complaints. Great trailer. Bought it new from Lanier Marine in GA for $1900 (Tandem axle) as opposed to a $2600 AL I-beam. It had good submersible lights, hydraulic surge brakes on both axles. I fish in saltwater so right when I got it, before I put boat on I sprayed the springs and a bunch of hardware with a rust stopper. They now have the trailers with the oil bearings which are superior to traditional grease bearings in every aspect

i personally would not buy or build an aluminium trailer!! yes they look the part, dont rust ( but can corrode when linked with other metals such as bolts etc), but the downfall is that over time with flexing the aluminium work hardens and cracks.......the cracks that form CANNOT be properly welded due to the fact that aluminium is porous and will have salt and other impurities over time embeded in it that CANNOT be properly cleaned out!!

"C" channel is very good if engineered correctly but weight will be your problem, it will get on the heavy side.

Tube is the cheapest, lightest, strongest and more durable of the steel trailers.......i personally will always build a steel tube trailer to this date!
like i said before in my first submission to this thread i have just replaced the rear half of my trailer that had lasted 18 years since new and galved twice in its life time....and this trailer has had 95% saltwater use and ALOT of use.
the boat it carries weighs 4400 pounds dry.
as long as you maintain and thoroughly clean your trailer and keep a vigilant eye for rust as it starts there is no reason why a steel tube trailer cant last as long as mine did if not longer.
Neglect is the biggest problem a trailer suffers.........next time you are at your favourite boat ramp..before embarking on your days outing.....go look at all the other trailers parked up without there boats on.....i garantee you will be surprised......you will spot a REALLY bad trailer and then see its owner turn up at the end of the day with a well looked after gleaming polished boat to go back on it......and to top it off...the boat and trailer are the same age and started life as a matching pair!!!!:)
Happy boating

a70eliminator

Captain

Is the steel being used nowadays just crappy or what?
I have a 1967 MFG that sits on it's original trailer, I repainted it back in about 1982 and that's it, still has all it's original bolts.
My trailer is over 40yrs old!
I think the gauge of the tubing is a big factor, they put more emphasis on lightweight rather than strength and longevity nowadays?
cheap light and strong hmmmm.

scottcmb

Seaman

I have a 1967 MFG that sits on it's original trailer, I repainted it back in about 1982 and that's it, still has all it's original bolts.
My trailer is over 40yrs old!
I think the gauge of the tubing is a big factor, they put more emphasis on lightweight rather than strength and longevity nowadays?
cheap light and strong hmmmm.

in some cases you are correct when it comes to the smaller and lighter boats you can afford to go heavier in gauge on the steel......any trailer builder will go heavier at YOUR request...but that will cost extra......but at the other end of the scale when your want to tow a 26 foot boat and still keep just under the 3.5 tonne rating....then thats when good engineering and lighter steel comes into play.....its all comes down to the biggest thing, cost and regulations matched to requirements:)

Knightgang

Lieutenant

On this subject, the question has arisen about galvanized coating on the inside of a boxframe trailer...The following is from FE Trailers website about their galvanizing Process....

"Our galvanized trailers are first cleaned by a hot alkaline solution and then given an acid bath to remove rust and scale. It is next immersed in liquid flux to remove oxides and then is dipped in molten zinc at 850 degrees. In order to become immersed, the box tube steel has openings. These openings permit coating both on the inside and on the outside of the tube."

scottcmb

Seaman

On this subject, the question has arisen about galvanized coating on the inside of a boxframe trailer...The following is from FE Trailers website about their galvanizing Process....

this backs up what i stated quit a few posts ago:)

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

The steels we are producing today make the steels of just 10 years ago an inferior product. Google HSLA and TRIP steels

http://steel.keytometals.com/default.aspx?ID=CheckArticle&NM=194

What you are seeing is a combination of a bunch of garage shop operations cutting corners to make a profit and tougher EPA restrictions on plating and coating compositions.

I attended a meeting last week where we discussed implamenting one of new new chrome free coating products being introduced into the market. Lead is no longer used in the plating process as are several other compounds that have either been restricted or outright banned by the EPA. We're doing some work right now with some major players in the industry to develop Zn-Mg coatings to replace Zn and Zn-Al coating due to increased longivity at lighter coating weights.

Zinc is currently running in excess of $2,000 a ton and is expected to go even higher this coming year.

BTW: With the new EPA regulations, when you go to scrap your 40 years old trailer they'll declare it an enviromental hazard and turn it into a Superfund site. :D:D