'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huron Angler

Admiral
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Well Mr. Murphy showed up while I was hooking up the CD player and speakers last night.

As it turns out the unit is locked for security purposes and Roslynn will need to find the manual and call Eclipse before it will work. The good news is that the speakers work great, lots of crystal clear static reproduction:D

Once we realized that we just went fishing and caught some nice size bluegills over at our local private lake that my in-laws live (almost) on but still have access.

The boom box worked great and didn't need any codes to be entered or anything so that will work for now:rolleyes::)

The only problem with this lake is that it's 100% no wake 24/7 and I can't deal with it very well. It was like glass and all the pontoons were back to their docks and I could only idle around the lake. That takes some serious willpower.:D

No ideas on why my trim/tilt won't work at WOT? I may sell that thing and and the Merc and buy a Evinrude with TnT built in if it's not going to work at speed.

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well Mr. Murphy showed up while I was hooking up the CD player and speakers last night.

As it turns out the unit is locked for security purposes and Roslynn will need to find the manual and call Eclipse before it will work. The good news is that the speakers work great, lots of crystal clear static reproduction:D

Once we realized that we just went fishing and caught some nice size bluegills over at our local private lake that my in-laws live (almost) on but still have access.

The boom box worked great and didn't need any codes to be entered or anything so that will work for now:rolleyes::)

The only problem with this lake is that it's 100% no wake 24/7 and I can't deal with it very well. It was like glass and all the pontoons were back to their docks and I could only idle around the lake. That takes some serious willpower.:D

No ideas on why my trim/tilt won't work at WOT? I may sell that thing and and the Merc and buy a Evinrude with TnT built in if it's not going to work at speed.

On the TNT question, it may just be a load issue. It is under a greater load while operating. I know that is no news to you, but it seems plausible. I would contact a CMC dealer and ask what they thought or call their tech line.
Do you have a technical question?
customerservice@cook-mfg.net
Phone: 580-252-1699

brobrad

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just called CMC for a question i had. They don't reccommend the 10" setback for my boat due to increased bow lift.

In regard to your PT&T question, they felt it was probably a voltage issue. The tech guy said trailer the boat, tie the foot down and power it up. When it stops moving the pump sound tells what's going on. A high pitch sound without a significant bog means there is a valve issue inside the hydraulics. If the sound is a low "bogging" growl, the problem is voltage. :cool:

Huron Angler

Admiral

On the TNT question, it may just be a load issue. It is under a greater load while operating. I know that is no news to you, but it seems plausible. I would contact a CMC dealer and ask what they thought or call their tech line.
Do you have a technical question?
customerservice@cook-mfg.net
Phone: 580-252-1699

Yeah I've realized that I need to talk to CMC about this issue. The unit is rated for 7800lbs of force so it should be adequate even at WOT. Kinda pointless to have to slow down when you want to adjust trim while on plane:rolleyes:

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

...No ideas on why my trim/tilt won't work at WOT? I may sell that thing and and the Merc and buy a Evinrude with TnT built in if it's not going to work at speed.

Bummer on the t/t fail, be great to see a Johnny/rude on there{biased I know lol} But I'm sure you will figure it out. :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Bummer on the t/t fail, be great to see a Johnny/rude on there{biased I know lol} But I'm sure you will figure it out. :D

Thanks Kenny...yeah I called CMC this afternoon and the guy was very helpful. The problem is either my deep cycle being on it's last legs(lots of good use;)) or the gauge of wire from the relays to the bracket lacking.

I will get it squared away this weekend for sure.:D

We caught a few bullhead tonight and I think I have confirmed that the Merc is charging the battery so I'm pumped about that:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Had a great weekend on the boat, we cruised up and down the Grand river SW of Lansing and it was nice to let the Merc run for a while without having to go around in circles(too many small lakes around here).

A few items worthy of mention...Merc has been running great, only problem is when the gas tank is empty. I'd sure love a more fuel-efficient Evinrude etec but what can ya do.

I managed to get a bunch of weeds wrapped around the prop and the Merc has a "clunkier" sound to her now:rolleyes:. I have no idea what it's from of course but I promise it's not good.

Last night we didn't even get a line in the water since we were having so much fun zipping upriver. A fair amount of our cruising was after dark and it was very nice for two reasons, cooler air temps and no other boats out.

We crossed a stretch of the river where apparently all mayflies are hatched. I swallowed 10-20 and we had to take the rig off plane cause they sting when you hit 'em going 30mph:D

I still can't believe how quickly these boats jump onto plane, a true joy to handle in flat water like a slow-moving river.:cool:

I have two weeks before my annual up-north vacation and I'm hoping to get some work done on the little boat, so that when we get back we can focus on painting the SS.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Sounds like you are having fun on the rig, mayflies and all!

Rock on man!:D

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds like fun. How far can you run on the Grand River down there? Is it buoyed, or just go where you dare? I can hop on the Grand 8 miles from my house and run to Lake Michigan, lot of no wake, but there are some nice stretches where you can run. I didn't realize the Grand was boatable with a boat your size that far up river. Glad your boat is running well. Where up north are you headed? We're camping on Lake Leelanau right now and it's killing me that my real boat is at home. I do have a small sailboat along though.....sigh....next year!!

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like fun. How far can you run on the Grand River down there? Is it buoyed, or just go where you dare? I can hop on the Grand 8 miles from my house and run to Lake Michigan, lot of no wake, but there are some nice stretches where you can run. I didn't realize the Grand was boatable with a boat your size that far up river. Glad your boat is running well. Where up north are you headed? We're camping on Lake Leelanau right now and it's killing me that my real boat is at home. I do have a small sailboat along though.....sigh....next year!!

We can run from the Waverly bridge all the way SW thru Dimondale and down to the dam at Eaton Rapids. I haven't made the full strip yet but I plan on it soon.

We took my buddy's 14 footer to Dimondale last summer and it's a nice little stretch. You do need to stay in the river channel to keep the depth around 8-10ft which is a challenge as it meanders all around.

Bass boats routinely peel thru at 50+ mph, I like cruising around 20-23mph.:D

My folks live north of Alpena and we always spend a week or two up there in august. It's a great spot on Lake Huron and we try to get up to the UP from there for camping and hiking since it's not a bad drive.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Sounds like you are having fun on the rig, mayflies and all!

Rock on man!:D

Yup having a good time, just wish working didn't get in the way so much:D

Free protein. :)

I'd rather use one for bait to catch a nice trout...even better protein:)

Ha ha, very funny BB. Hey HA, sounds like you're having a great time... :cool:.

TII

TII we are having a blast with the rig, don't know how I survived so long without it;)

fshngho

Lieutenant

Alright Ha. First let me say you think the mayflies hurt at 30 mph, try them on at 58 mph. We had our "spawn" of them two weeks back. Ya see my bass boat don't got no windershied thingy but I know your boat does:confused: I understand your tall and everything but did you think to duck?

Seriously, I'm happy your enjoying the fruits of your labor and thanks for keeping us informed of your adventures.
So...how is gilly anyway?:D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Mike

a trip up the old Grand River COOL!

I bet a berkley jet style boat wouldnt have too many issues blasting up some of the smaller rivers in Mich...mebbe a NEXT project?????? (go fast river death boat)

click here to check these beasts out...perfect for the Au Sable! hehehheehehe MUHAHAHHAHAH:eek:

Huron Angler

Admiral

Alright Ha. First let me say you think the mayflies hurt at 30 mph, try them on at 58 mph. We had our "spawn" of them two weeks back. Ya see my bass boat don't got no windershied thingy but I know your boat does:confused: I understand your tall and everything but did you think to duck?

Seriously, I'm happy your enjoying the fruits of your labor and thanks for keeping us informed of your adventures.
So...how is gilly anyway?:D

I have no desire to impact one of those at 58 Dale, I will take you word for it:D

Since it was dusk/dark I couldn't really use the windshield, but yes it did offer minimal protection. It was standing up that posed to be a problem, and I prefer to drive standing:)

Vegas, a jet drive would be ideal thru there but could result in sucking up some 30lb test braided line---bad for impellar:eek: The Grand isn't exactly pristine thru Lansing, lots of shoping carts, bikes and other items rusting away and presenting hazards.

Now you've got me thinking about the Au Sable(gonna be passing thru there soon and might have to stop to see the world's best trout river)...and jet boats:D

Huron Angler

Admiral

I figured I'd let you guys know about a little side project we've been working on...trying to set a new state record for bowfin:)

OK we may settle for a master angler award or two but these fish we are catching are some big ones:D

The Michigan record is 14lbs even-- so we have a ways to go...but I think I've had a couple on that top 10lbs so I'm optimistic.

All I need to do is upgrade to a bigger gauge of Berkely Fireline, since the 15lb stuff has proven an unworthy adversary for the monsters on more than one occasion.

I had one on last night that wrapped around two other lines...and spit the hook with a powerful shake mere inches away from netting range. They are downright salty and mean:D

We landed two last night, both around 25" which puts them about 8lbs, but I know there are much larger dogfish in this lake so the hunt is on.

Sorry for the self-hijack about these so-called "junk fish" but they sure are fun to catch and a good challenge for us. I go thru phases when fishing so I don't get too adept or bored with any particular species;)

fshngho

Lieutenant

Your thread, your right to hi-jack. Besides, I like the fishy stories, keep 'em coming and go get the citation bowfin.:D

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

No such thing as junk fish...heck anything yanking the line beats someone yanking your chain ;):D

Something tells me you'll stick with it until that patch or record comes home with you...best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.