'79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

fshngho

Lieutenant
Re: '79 Starcraft SS 16 restoration

HA, the support that goes from the floor to the underside of gunwhale, where the vertical piece for the sliding doors mounts. The piece you have is the mounting bracket at the bottom. I had to remove both of mine in order to remove the old wood floor, and they got bent a bit like yours. Did I just help or confuse???? Dale

Huron Angler

Admiral

HA, the support that goes from the floor to the underside of gunwhale, where the vertical piece for the sliding doors mounts. The piece you have is the mounting bracket at the bottom. I had to remove both of mine in order to remove the old wood floor, and they got bent a bit like yours. Did I just help or confuse???? Dale

Dale that helps out(and makes sense to me;))...I thought that might have been it's function:)

I'm not sure if I'm going to restore those sliding doors or not, I'm apparently missing the vertical piece altogether. I may be building a box that will hold a livewell with a pedestal on top back there.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I got the starboard console removed, with the help of my drill, some screwheads got stripped in the process. Notice the lovely glue residue from the original vinyl and what looks like a piece of the factory deck:eek:

The steering wheel is still attached since the bolts spin with the nuts and I don't have access to the other side.

Not sure if I can remove the wheel on the outside?

DSCF5365.jpg

A peek under the console to see what the wiring looks like prior to dismantling it.

DSCF5358.jpg

Got the other rotten vinyl-covered area removed, makes room for rod storage if I can run all the wires/cables below the shelf.

DSCF5361.jpg

I think I have wires back here that are no longer in use...not sure.

DSCF5355.jpg

I'm considering building a platform that will sit over the splashwell, since the CMC outboard bracket allows plenty of room as the motor sits 6" farther back.

DSCF5362.jpg

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Hey H.A., if I'm following correctly, you remove that nut in the middle of the steering wheel then pop the wheel off and the bolts will be accessible under the cover for complete removal. The steering wheel is on a tapered shaft with a key, easiest way off is to loosen the nut almost but not completely off the threads then first try pulling the wheel to wards you{when steering} if that won't do it a mild tap on the nut{to protect the threads} while at the same time using your knees to pry toward you or a helper pulling will have it off in no time...watch out for the key so it doesn't get lost. Hope that makes sense.

Good work, you'll be finished long before me if you keep this rate up.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hold onto your seats guys, he's put it off as long as possible but Mike is finally removing things that are required to make the boat go!!!! :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm glad to say that all the wood, rotten or otherwise, is now out of the vessel. The only exception being the transom wood.

I will need to get the Merc removed this week hopefully so I can get ready to paint. For now, I will be cleaning out the hull and getting her ready for gluvit. I sure wish I could take her outside and hose her down:rolleyes:

The teardown has taken longer than I thought, since I removed the original stuff plus the previous restore job. The guy before me did a decent job(aside from not sealing anything) and everything was pretty solid, making it a bit more difficult.

DSCF5370.jpg

DSCF5368.jpg

DSCF5366.jpg

DSCF5354.jpg

The switches were easily removed by turning the nut on each switch. Not sure if I'll put this diamond-plate panel back here.

DSCF5351.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

Hold onto your seats guys, he's put it off as long as possible but Mike is finally removing things that are required to make the boat go!!!! :D

Reluctantly...this is true:D

It just doesn't feel right taking it apart when it works, like the old saying. I've managed to get past this though, if I have trouble with anything I will just bring her as-is to Tinstock and have the pros sort things out:p

HopeSheFloats, thanks for the tip, I will take another look at the old wheel and see if I can't make heads or tails of it.

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

The teardown has taken longer than I thought, since I removed the original stuff plus the previous restore job. The guy before me did a decent job(aside from not sealing anything) and everything was pretty solid, making it a bit more difficult.

yeah those dang POs that do a good job, make for more work for the real repairman! lol

Glad to see you have the motivation to tear her down out in the cold....

Ive been DOA on my prjects due to work/bum knee/cold weather getting old SUCKS:D

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Just thought I'd pop in and see whats going on in Santa workshop..

I bet the first turn of the wrench to start taking her apart was with a tear in your eye bud....

My Granddpa told me..

If your going through hell..keep on going, dont stop and look around, sooner or later you'll get to the other side!

system-f

Senior Chief Petty Officer

It just doesn't feel right taking it apart when it works, like the old saying.

I know exactly what you mean.

Huron Angler

Admiral

No snowmobiles, and I haven't gotten around to cross-country skiing yet either ,so I've had plenty of time to work on the boat. Just trying to catch up to EZ and all the other SC restos going on right now. June is rapidly approaching, and that is my deadline:)

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Are you putting the pedestal bases back in? How were they holding up? Did they seem stable/strong? I'm guessing that they were just screwed in with big screws and no backing under the deck, right? My SS has two fixed pedestals that are in poor shape and they are poorly located, so I'm thinking of installing some new bases (either taper lock or plug in style).

Huron Angler

Admiral

Are you putting the pedestal bases back in? How were they holding up? Did they seem stable/strong? I'm guessing that they were just screwed in with big screws and no backing under the deck, right? My SS has two fixed pedestals that are in poor shape and they are poorly located, so I'm thinking of installing some new bases (either taper lock or plug in style).

I will be using the same pedestal bases, different locations however...they are in great shape, the screws not so much, they were rusted pretty good.

I'm leaning towards having one mounted on a box in the stern that will house a livewell, back-to-back loungers on the portside, pedestal at the helm and wrap-around seating in the bow with a pedestal insert to make a full casting deck(I will get on photoshop and draw up a schematic for the layout one of these days).

You are correct...there was zero backing under the bases but they were very solid and worked great on my two trips out prior to the teardown.

I'd prefer a true flush-mount base, these do protrude above the deck about 1/8-1/4" or so. I may try to countersink them if possible for a more flush position, but since I'm planning on glassing the deck in to make it seamless they will probably still stick up a bit.

Not a big deal though, you can walk over them pretty easily, but could trip on one and spill a beer or something so I will weigh the options there:D

deadstriper

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Oh the options! :)

I have one taper lock pedestal and a base, but I never installed it in my old boat because I'm not a huge fan of cutting holes in a perfectly good floor. This week I picked up one of the "flush" bases that doesn't require cutting a center hole so I could test "drive" it. Not only does the thing stick far above the deck (seemed like 4", trip!), but it also made my pedestal too tall for my liking. I guess if install bases, I'll be cutting holes. I'll probably install four bases in the main deck area. I see that there are inserts/covers for the taper lock bases for when a pedestal is not in use. I had read that the taper lock pedestals can get a little tough to remove, so I'm not sure which way I want to go. From what you are saying, it sounds like your plug-in bases made the pedestals solid. Do those bases have holes that go all the way through (to let water/dirt under the deck)?

I made a big livewell for my old boat (40"+) that served as a passenger seat, but I mainly just use a cooler+ice for fish now, so I won't get so fancy this time around. I would like to set up a larger fuel tank for additional range. What are your plans there? My joy in lugging gas jugs is rapidly fading.

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Those pic's look aweful familer. What wood have you decided to go with for the floor?? Marine, A-C, or B-C exterior?? If you have not bought the plywood yet. Look through these before you buy. Do not buy EXPOSURE1. Here are a few links...

http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/English/Plywood/ProductInfo/gradesguide.php

http://www.apa-europe.org/Languages/English/Plywood/ProductInfo/trademarkguide.php

http://www.inlandplywood.com/products.htm
Russ Cecil russ@inlandplywood.com E-mail this guy for wood prices.

http://lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/GdPlWd.html#3

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Spilling a beer is definitely NO NO!

Keep on Rockin Mike! :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Do those bases have holes that go all the way through (to let water/dirt under the deck)?

They do have drain holes thru the bottom. I really like these bases and would recommend them. Only drawback is they do not mount flush, but after thinking about it, that would be very difficult to do anyway. They feel more solid than the smaller gauge post models if you ask me. Since I already have four of them I am sticking with these:D

DSCF5376.jpg

DSCF5377.jpg

Huron Angler

Admiral

I haven't been able to find the original specs for my 1979 SS, and I am lacking my data plate as well. I pulled this from the '77 brochure, since there probably isn't too much difference from two years later.

Center length 16' 1/2"
Beam 76.5"
Height 52"
Transom height 21"
Transom width 73"
Side depth 25"
Weight capacity 1500lbs
Persons 7
Max Horsepower 85
Dry hull weight 675lbs

I haven't been getting much done on the rig due to feeling under the weather, so I've been thinking a lot about the layout and doing research:)

Zrt1200

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I haven't been able to find the original specs for my 1979 SS, and I am lacking my data plate as well. I pulled this from the '77 brochure, since there probably isn't too much difference from two years later.

Center length 16' 1/2"
Beam 76.5"
Height 52"
Transom height 21"
Transom width 73"
Side depth 25"
Weight capacity 1500lbs
Persons 7
Max Horsepower 85
Dry hull weight 675lbs

I haven't been getting much done on the rig due to feeling under the weather, so I've been thinking a lot about the layout and doing research:)

It is kinda funny that you are lacking your plate data as I am also missing this. What I found out on my 73 is the same spec's as what you found. I also found that the boat weight is 630 lbs. I wonder if you can get replacement spec plates from starcraft??

Status
Not open for further replies.