5.0 MPI Mercruiser repower - Opinions

DamianG

Cadet
Hi All

I tried this question in the outboard section without much response. They are all people with problems though so figured I would try my luck with the forever hopeful people in the boat restoration section.

I am looking to buy a 20ft Half cabin boat with a Volvo AQ175 V6 penta (229 chev) with a 280 leg without trim. Its been for sale for ages and has become very affordable. Its a long way from town so potential buyers have been nil. Its also exactly the type of hull I want. The motor is blown and after getting quotes to get a rebuilt motor, one of the workshops recommended I repower with a used Mercruiser 5.0MPI with Bravo II. Vintage late 90\\\'s. He will warranty the used motor/leg combo.

Was wondering about peoples thoughts. Better to have a new V6 (Would upgrade to 4.3L) and take a chance on old leg, or repower with a used but much later model second hand mercruiser. Plus the second hand engine will come with a warranty as well.

Also are they any sites with info about different mercruisers etc. I have been looking for a wiki type site without luck.

cheers
Damian

Last edited:

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 5.0 MPI Mercruiser repower - Opinions

I don't know squat about I/O's but I would think if the price on the Merc MPI was something you could afford, and the modifications needed to be made to your hull to accomodate the Merc in place of the Volvo are manageble......it'd be hard to go wrong on that. MPI is just awesome over carbs.

erikgreen

Captain

But it should be said that the volvo drive is better made than the Merc drive, and will last longer. Cone clutch is nice.

Or are you saying that the repower is cheaper than the new engine for the Volvo? I find that kinda hard to believe.

Erik

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

if you dont need trim and the 280 isnt blown, leave the 280, they are bulletproof legs, our boat has them aswell, and everyone i have talked to has said its nearly a downgrade to get a newer alpha or bravo drive, becuase they are fragile and break so easily. You can put nearly anything infront of the 280 and it wont notice, i saw one guy who put a large cat deisel behind a 280 leg... the only thing he has had to do to the leg since was change the prop... LOL

Our legs sat in a driveway in WA for 9 years with no care, before we knew any better we figured for sure that would be on our list of stuff to replace. We tore one appart and realized we had just wasted all that time, because everything was clean and shiny inside...

QC

Supreme Mariner

Bravo 2 is a cone clutch, but can't see one in a 20 footer. Bravo 1 or 3 yes, 2 . . . not so much. . . . you had this in the OB section? I/O section is where it probably belongs . . . ;)

DamianG

Cadet

But it should be said that the volvo drive is better made than the Merc drive, and will last longer. Cone clutch is nice.

Or are you saying that the repower is cheaper than the new engine for the Volvo? I find that kinda hard to believe.

Erik
The repower was about twice the cost of just replacing with a newer reco 4.3L. Was wanting peoples opinions as I\'m new to boating. Was happy to get the boat with a blown motor as that way I can rebuild it and know it is good. I\'m loosing a bit of this peace of mind by going to a later second hand engine.

Bravo 2 is a cone clutch, but can\'t see one in a 20 footer. Bravo 1 or 3 yes, 2 . . . not so much. . . . you had this in the OB section? I/O section is where it probably belongs . . . ;)

Thanks, you make a good point. I am guessing these were usually standard in much bigger boats. Reading up it seems the bravo II hangs down an extra 4 inches to allow for a bigger prop. I\'m also concerned it will make the boat too fast once propped for correct WOT. I did post in I/O section, but no-one offered much help.

Trim - what are the benefits.

cheers
Damian

robbankston

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Trim gives you a ton more of control over the boat and makes it more flexible for shallow water. But its more to break also. The bravo drive can sit further down because it has the trim. It's 20 a foot boat. I don't think you have to worry about the mercruiser being too fast.

erikgreen

Captain

The bravo drive can sit further down because it has the trim.

Uh, what?

I don't know of any stern drive, be it bravo, alpha, or volvo, without trim capability? They don't make 'em that way?

If it's peace of mind he's looking for, a reman engine (not "used", but reman) plus a well checked out volvo drive is much better than a repower with someone else's used drive, even with a warranty.

Erik

PS: On the other hand, I may be in the market for a secondhand volvo drive... hmmm.... maybe that mercruiser IS a good idea for you :)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Many Early Volvo's and OMC's did not have trim. His Volvo does not.

A Bravo 2 in this application is ridiculous. I was being more diplomatic earlier . . .

erikgreen

Captain

Wow, learn something every day :)

I agree on the bravo.. bit much.

If he's looking for reliability and peace of mind, then I'd think a good way to go would be buying an alpha drivetrain except for the leg and engine, then getting a reman engine and an SEI drive.

But it sounds like that Bravo is priced at twice the engine cost, which would put it at about $3k-$4500, which is pretty good for a complete bravo set-up, and not much more than the alpha set-up would cost.

/shrug

QC

Supreme Mariner

It's not Bravo that's an issue, it's Bravo 2. Designed for large cruisers and big diameter props . . .

erikgreen

Captain

Heh... maybe he can get the gearing changed to extra low, and get a prop big enough to be surface piercing... that'd be eye catching :)