1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1962 Arkansas Traveler restoration

Micks, that makes complete sense. Cant wait to see it . Looks like a monday spray for me as my order placed today will be here then.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Mick, wish I was closer, I'd give you a hand with the seacast! I was really shocked at how stiff mine was once I got the seacast poured....then once I had the floor and foam in place, it doesn't move at all...even with my 260# friend in it! Make sure you keep the seacast in the house before you use it so that its warm!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Thanks guys for all the advice and well wishes! I'm gonna try to make this short being that it's 2:40 and I am leaving for two days in less than 4 hours and I haven't even showered yet- let alone go to bed!
I am waiting for my ******VIDEO****** to upload so I can post it(archbuilder you inspired me to do another one)

Tonight I got alot done. I cut all the stringers and checked and re-checked to make sure everything was snug with my braces that I had. It was all good and I got excited and figured I's stay up longer and get the transom skin pollied to the exterior skin. So I cleaned and acetoned the back, braced it up, and came in.

What else did I do???? Oh yeh, I had to cut the transom where my stringers run under it, cut my foam template too so I could use it as a brace, and took some pictures of the uni-charger I won on ebay(freakin sweet!)- it is brand new and sat on a shelf for 40+ years and I got it for a steal compared what it would cost me to have mine fixed if it went bad.

OK pics
uni-charger- basically an alternator
100_0929.jpg
[/IMG]

bow i-bolt had to be cut down- ready for seacast
100_0931.jpg
[/IMG]

where i had to cut to sit over the stringers
100_0926.jpg
[/IMG]

my forms- i had to cut the stringers on my marked lines and then put my forms in to make sure my lines were correct. I only had two spots that were off a bit that I had to make an adjustment for
100_0924.jpg
[/IMG]

transom skin ready to go in. I used the foam as support and some clamps to hold it in place.
100_0927.jpg
[/IMG]

What it looks like completed
100_0930.jpg
[/IMG]

continued.....

micks110

I think it came out pretty good.
100_0932.jpg
[/IMG]

Like archbuilder said about his. This thing is going to be solid!

OK here is the ********VIDEO********
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDFDScAtWg

Gotta goshower and to bed now and get up in 3 hours:eek:

I'll be back Saturday night. I'll be checking your replies on the phone:)

skibum- by the time I get back I expect to see some gel coat on the boat!

Gdnt and thanks again!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Hey Mick, glad I could be motivating.....hmmmm wish my staff reacted like that :D! And I gave up not sleeping after 5 years of not sleeping in architecture school....I don't know how you do it! Guess I'm lazy now.....good luck on the trip, sounds like everyone around here is getting motivated for the weekend....I'm going to a boat show in Tulsa in two weeks....I may not be sleeping after that! Nice video, the stringers look just about like mine did, glad the method worked out good for you. Things will move fast at this point, you'll have a floor next weekend!

micks110

The hardest part on doing the stringers was the 4 intersections. I wanted them to not be seperated- I wanted all 4 areas to have the seacast connected to one another. It turned out good.

Yeh the sleep deprevation caught up to me today. 7 hours of sleep in two days. I took a 45 minute nap today during my lunch break in the hotel. Feel a little better now.

Well headed back down to the clinic.

Talk to you guys when I get back tomorrow.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Looking good, I like your idea of opening the crosses to make it all one piece. Are you doing the stringers then the transom ? If you make it all one pour how will you keep the transom from running down into the stringers? Nice video. Now I suppose I have to make one?

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Its a new requirement Skibum! We want video of the gel coat! :D

micks110

Skibum- I plan on doing the transom first and then continuing down each stringer- a guy on each stringer. I want to start with the transom because if I do come up short with the seacast I would rather add it to the stringers then piecing together the transom- even though it is supposed to bond to itself.
From what I read it is pretty thick- so I shouldn't have to worry about it running to crazy. I may be a gallon or two short cause I only planned on the transom and keel even though the lady threw in an extra gallon.
I explained my stringers running under the transom and the lady said it won't be a problem- the stringers only an inch high in the back.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think you will be ok mick given how small your hole is between the transom and the stringer. Skibum has a good point, I would have a "dam" that you can put in there while you are "packing" the seacast in the transom. You will need a stick or rod to push it in and get the air bubbles out of the transom. Once you have the seacast in place, you could pull the dams out and fill your stingers. I think you would be ok doing that....but you might have a piece of wood or something handy to put on top of your stringer in case it starts to push out of the transom.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Mick,
It really came out nice.
I hope you enjoy your trip.
Good luck with the seacast pour.
Bob

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

Mick..fantastic work..good luck moving forward with the seacast..Like EZ said...it makes sense to me now!

micks110

I'm glad it makes sense to everyone now! It makes sense to me finally also and it means that the end of the hull project is near!
I'm home now and tonight I will be starting work on the deck template tonight.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Oh no your back, you said when you got back you wanted to see some gelcoat on my boat. so here you go....
DSC00506.jpg

lol, sorry had to do it. well I will actually be spraying monday when I get my wet film gauge from UPS. I looked everwhere locally and no luck.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I'm glad it makes sense to everyone now! It makes sense to me finally also and it means that the end of the hull project is near!
I'm home now and tonight I will be starting work on the deck template tonight.

I didn't have time to go back through and read the whole thread, but I do have a couple of questions.

You made stringers (shapes) out of foam, glassed them, then pulled them out.

You could have left the foam and glassed around it for far less than the cost of Seacast and it would have been much lighter. The other option would have been to pull the foam out and then glass over them leaving them hollow. Either method would have been more than strong enough for that small hull and would still last forever without a problem.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey micks, make sure you post the pics of that unicharger in the J/E section so that F_R or whomever it was that was giving you all the info on it. I'm sure he's get a kick out of it. Quite the score!

micks110

Ondarvr- I initially wanted to just glass in foam for my stringers but the guy at my boat place said he didn't think it would be strong enough, plus he said I wouldn't be able to screw down the deck because there would be nothing for the screws to grab into.
Ahhhhhh, now you got me questioning at the 12th hour!
Like I stated earlier, I only ordered enough seacast for the transom and keel but since the keel is done I will have a gallon extra- that may be enough for a half of a stringer.
What to do, what to do?????
Let me know all your thoughts guys- asap please:)

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Micks,
I like the idea of hollow stringers, especially if you dont have enough seacast anyway. You can just glue down the deck. I would ask ondarvr how many layers and what cloth to use to make the stringers. He knows this stuff better than anyone I know.
Im dissapointed, no comments on my bad sence of humor of the gelcoat on the boat:(

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Micks,
I like the idea of hollow stringers, especially if you dont have enough seacast anyway. You can just glue down the deck. I would ask ondarvr how many layers and what cloth to use to make the stringers. He knows this stuff better than anyone I know.
Im dissapointed, no comments on my bad sence of humor of the gelcoat on the boat:(

Your gel coat application was perfect, I've never seen a cleaner job.

micks110

Skibum- I wanted to call you a dirty dog! Nice pic of the gelcoat- it is looking good so far- very informative!!!
Ezombee- I pm'd F_R quite a few times about the uni- charger! I'm still stoked about it too- it was like finding a needle in a haystack!

Ok- so if I leave the stringers hollow I'm worried that I'd have to beef them up more for more strength which would add to my height and throw off my deck setup? Hopefully ondarvr throws in his expertice again soon.