16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

Triton II

Commander
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Oh yeah I ordered a prop for Max today also. I went with a 19 pitch, aluminum. I figured I would start there, then move to a stainless once I'm comfortable with the pitch. This one will make a good spare to have.

Arch, at this rate you'll be finished way ahead of the seats... maybe a bit of shotgun diplomacy at the upholsterers? :D

TII

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Triton, I have "dropped in" at the upholsters a couple of times to see "how things are going"...but no progress so far. Hopefully he will feel sorry for me and get them done early....I figured out the other day I need them back before I put in the carpet. I'm planning on gluing cleats to the deck with six-10, then bolting the seats to the cleats. I really don't want to put any holes in the deck that I don't have too...and think the six-10 will work great for that.

Hghvoltage, I wouldn't want her to burn up either. I even pondered running it by one of my electrical engineers....then I thought they would do what they normally do and size everything twice as big as it needs to be! :eek:

I haven't decided what to do with the area where the gas tanks and battery will be. Also up under the bow....I have thought about spraying some bed liner material up there. I know some of you hate the stuff, but my paint store can custom mix any color. They also told me they would give me the gun for free. I could also go with Duraback, I have talked with Frisco some about that. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Triton II

Commander

Triton, I have "dropped in" at the upholsters a couple of times to see "how things are going"...but no progress so far. Hopefully he will feel sorry for me and get them done early....I figured out the other day I need them back before I put in the carpet. I'm planning on gluing cleats to the deck with six-10, then bolting the seats to the cleats. I really don't want to put any holes in the deck that I don't have too...and think the six-10 will work great for that.

Hghvoltage, I wouldn't want her to burn up either. I even pondered running it by one of my electrical engineers....then I thought they would do what they normally do and size everything twice as big as it needs to be! :eek:

I haven't decided what to do with the area where the gas tanks and battery will be. Also up under the bow....I have thought about spraying some bed liner material up there. I know some of you hate the stuff, but my paint store can custom mix any color. They also told me they would give me the gun for free. I could also go with Duraback, I have talked with Frisco some about that. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hey Arch... yeah the six-10/cleat and bolt idea should work well. You're right about unnecessary holes. When it comes to electrics, I normally do what your guys do and overdo it rather than under! Maybe go one gauge thicker all round and use the correct rated fuses in the fuse block - that way they'll blow way before your wires get hot! Finally, I like Durabak coz you roll it on, but then again I've never tried spraying anything other than a rattle can! :D

TII

Hghvoltage

Seaman

ack, not the dreaded EE's they would turn it into the Space Shuttle or some equal non-sense.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Hey arch - all this talk of electrical fires reminds me - don't forget to plan out your fire extinguisher location...:)

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Good idea scout! I did talk with one of my electrical engineers, mainly because I pay them a lot of money! I should get something for free! He thought it looked good, his only comment was label the wires! Which reminds me, I have been wondering if anyone knows of a label maker that makes water proof labels? I would really like to label them, but it doesn't seem very feasible. Good news, my parts are all scheduled to be here on Friday! Now I just need to order the wire at the parts store.

MountaineerMiner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Though I am getting a little ahead of myself I too have been thinking of color coding my wiring. My problem was finding enough diffierent colors at a resonable place, I need 10. I found Jegs sells 50' lengths for $6.49 in 16 ga. and $9.99 for 14 ga. and has 12 colors to choose from. Fastenal was the next closest I found in price and selection.

What type of connectors were you going to buy? Water tite automotive connectors? I have found a few styles of water tite trailer connector in eveything from 2 wire to 7 wire but am still kicking around the idea of the high dollar automotive connectors.

Mike

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I will probably just buy the crimp type for up under the dash. I'm planning on soldering all the wire to wire connections. I thought about soldering on all the blade connectors, but I haven't found the solder type....and man that would be a lot of soldering! The more I have thought about it, my Sea Ray is 20 years old...crimp connections and no problems. If it was a boat on salt water all the time I would think different, but I'm thinking the crimp connections will be ok for this one. Does anyone have any experience otherwise?

Triton II

Commander

Hey Arch,

I personally use both a mechanical (crimp) and an electrical (solder) connection in all wiring, but then again I boat on the ocean so it may be belt and braces. I will say though, that there's nothing as annoying as trying to fit yourself and your multi-meter into a cramped space with bad light levels trying to see why your (insert appropriate electrical device here) doesn't work!

TII

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey arch.
My neighbor had the boat wired with wire nuts, yes wire nuts for 15 plus years, When I took everything apart they were still connected well enough that I had pull very hard to undo the connection.
Now when I re-did the electrical I used all crimp connections. The point of the story is I think for your boat and the way it is going to be used, where it is going to be used, and how often it is going to be used that crimp connections would be more than sufficient and outlast you:)

coostv

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I rewired and put in a new sound board at church I ran across these splice connectors they looked intriguing when I was shopping around.

mytquinn

Cadet

I use crimp connections on aircraft on a regular basis. The one thing that you need to keep in mind with crimp connections is you can over/under crimp the connection. Under crimp and you can get a high resistance connection, or one that will pull out on you. Over crimp, and you can pinch off some of your strands resulting in an undersized conductor. We use special tools adjusted to the wire and splice/crimp size that prevents over or under crimping. I would highly recommend that you not use those cheapo style crimpers that come with most connector sets at your local automotive store. You want to go to an electrical contractors supply store, or check out the electrical section at Lowes or Home Depot.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks guys, yesterday I found a local supplier that sells the heat shrink kind. I think I'm going to go that route. I'll also check on the crimping tool. I'm looking forward to getting some of the wiring knocked out this weekend. Hopefully my rub rail will be in next week, so I can hang Max.

Hghvoltage

Seaman

Hey Arch,
Brady makes several different label makers that you can print heat shrinkable wire markers. http://www.bradyid.com/bradyid/catalog/productBrowsePageView.do?pathtoroot=Labels^Printable+Labels^Wire+%26+Cable+Markers^Wire+%26+Cable+Sleeves&ref[1]=Material+Description&refval[1]=PermaSleeve%26%238482%3b+Heat-Shrink+Polyolefin
These are the types we use in industrial electrical applications. They are heat transfer printed.

I have a large assortment of lables and a good quality set of klein crimpers I will send you. I was going to throw them out. We use the at work and I keep collecting them at home. Get me a address and I will put them in the mail today.

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Arch, if your going to use crimp connectors at least get the ones that have heat shrink built in. Its always best to solder and heatshrink. In college they soldered a loop of wire and passed it around and dared us to break the connection. if soldered correctly the joint is stronger than the wire itself. although the wiring is under the dash and twist and tape would probably work for years. But from the looks of the rest of your work I dont think you will settle.

bigredinohio

Chief Petty Officer

Your boat is looking real good! I'm looking forward to see her all completed.

Here are the lables. Their on their way

Attachments

• IMG00043-20100430-1454.jpg
    IMG00043-20100430-1454.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Thanks for the labels Skinny Chicken! Redred, I'm ready to see her done too! Your boat is coming along nicely by the way. Skibum I am using the heat shrink type, picked them up today.

Tonight I made a little progress. First for Micks favorite subject....the fenders! I taped them off and under coated the bottom side. Hopefully tomorrow or Sunday I will get the pin stripe on them and put them on the trailer. I also coated the board that attaches too them with the epoxy. They should be ready for carpet tomorrow.

IMG_0169.jpg

I also got my box of goodies from the UPS guy. Max's new "shoes" were in the box. Here is the new 19 pitch next to the old 13 pitch. I'm thinking the 13 was used on a tug boat or something!

IMG_0167.jpg

IMG_0168.jpg

I also picked up a double row buss at Academy. I should be able to distribute the running light and radio circuits off of it.

IMG_0174.jpg

While I was at Academy I also picked up the other 3 cleats, you would think those things are made of gold! I also got the horn in my UPS package.

IMG_0176.jpg

After the horn and buss, I put in the remaining switches. I started to put in some conduit clamps down the gunnel....it had been a while since I looked at it.....I was thinking I could put an 1.5" conduit clamp on it. Its a little tighter than what I remembered....wide, just not tall. I came up with the idea of making brackets so that I could lay wire bundles across the bracket. Its amazing how much stuff there is. The shifter control wire bundle, master power and ground, 3 sensor wires, 3 wires for the bilge, 2 wires for the stern marker lamp, spedo tube, steering cable, speaker wire, shifter cable and throttle cable. I'm contemplating putting all of the wiring (except the shifter control wire bundle) down the passenger side. That would free up some room for all the cables and steering. The fuse block and the battery are both located centered on the beam, so the wire lenght is the same either way.

IMG_0171.jpg

Anyone have any ideas? Guess I will sleep on it.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I'm looking at this stereo, what do you guys think? My main issues are a full remote (which will be on the dash, radio will be somewhere to be determined), weather band, AM / FM. It has an axillary input, but I have no idea if its I-pod compatible (No I don't have one, yes I am behind in the times! :D) My X-M receiver should work fine with it. I have found it for about half of the suggested price by the way.

http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail.asp?model=PLCD16MRWB