16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

Nice! You got a busy weekend ahead of you, sounds like fun:D

kcatto

Seaman

yeah they threaten snow.... but Gary England and Mike Morgan know by now if you do not like the weather "just wait a minute" in Oklahoma.... (line stolen from Will Rogers)

Your boat is looking great....

osborn159

Petty Officer 1st Class

chirstmas in march arent you lucky, ok now rip it all out of the packages and start playing.
nice pieces arch, that should keep u busy on a snowy spring day.
keep up the amazing work/progress, best wishes, D

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Nice new stuff...I love getting UPS and fed ex packages! fun stuff! will look awsome in your skiff! rock on!

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

we're getting snow and rain as well up in NE. Yesterday it was almost 70, now its snowing and 25 degrees with 30 mph winds:(

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Trying to round up the last of the stuff I need for the weekend. I'm also going to be working on the seats....my goal is to have a mock up built by Monday. Need to get them to the upholster, they are usually really busy this time of year. Plus I figure the seat plays into steering and gauge placement. I also got the angled bezels for the gauges today......getting closer!:D:D

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

do the seats yourself...not that hard....

check out my seat thread in my signature

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Great thread Mrdjflores! I'm about out of time, 9 weeks till boating season...and we are having a snow storm! :eek: So I'm going to let someone else do the sewing while I try to get Miss Morgan finished up. I drilled and hole for the steering wheel and rack tonight. I ended up shifting the wheel at bit to the right, that allowed me to move the tach over next to the spedo....and all of the other gauges over 4". I still want to use the angled bezels, they work nicely. Here is a shot from the "drivers seat".

IMG_3139.jpg

I also worked on the seat height and location....this is getting tricky with the throttle range of motion....I need to get the seat frame built, then I can play around with it some more.

IMG_3137.jpg

Working on some of the seat frame details right now.

Friscoboater

Captain

Looks like you got a ton of goodies, and the cold is paying us both a visit this weekend.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here is my drawing for the seats. Designed it around the pictures Creativors posted and some measurements from of the boat, and looking at some other seats and guessing! I'm sure there will be a lot of beat to fit, paint to match, but that is what mock ups are for! I'm building the mock up out of britch plywood I have. Once its right I'm going to take it to the upholster for their input, then build the real seat frames out of 1/2 marine grade plywood I l have left from the floor.

SEATDETAILS.jpg

The idea is that the tops of the seats will be flush with the gunnels. I'm using 2" foam on the backs, 3" on the seats and 1" on the sides....with a carpet base around the bottom. I need to figure out how to get some storage between the two seat backs. I'm toying with some kind of side access, might be a good place for wallets, phones that kind of stuff.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

by the way its snowing, have I mentioned how much I'm enjoying getting more snow! :mad: Well I guess it is an excuse to work on the boat and not the yard!

kcatto

Seaman

well I was wrong.... gary england called it right this time....

the snow stinks... guess I will just read some forums.....

your boat is looking good....

what upholstery shop you gonna use???

kev

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Looks like he got it right Kev! I've been talking with Boatman's, but we'll see what the $$ are and when they can get too it. Here is a video of what I did today one step forward and two back....at least that is what it feels like!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvkdSIpbR3E

I'll post some pics in a bit.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple of shots of today's progress....the clearances are really tight, this is a boat that you "strap into"......once you are in the drivers seat it is really comfy, but getting into the seat takes some work!

IMG_3143.jpg

IMG_3144.jpg

kcatto

Seaman

It looks really good..... The videos are really cool....

Boatmans.... Is he the guy on 10th street across the street from Tims OMC, behind advance auto parts???

I have heard really good things about that guy if that is the one and the same.... he does really good work he fixed a Bimini top for my buddies old bayliner and you could not tell where it had ripped at the seam....

keven

mrlassi1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Arch,

I had a Glastron GT150 and the engine controls were mounted on the left side of the driver's seat. This was different, but really worked well. The seating in the Glastron looked very similar to what you're building. The seat bottoms were held in place using a length of aluminum tubing secured to the seat bottom and a pair stainless steel spring clips mounted in the seat base. I've seen the clips on some of the boat parts sites where they are use to stow lighting masts.

Here is a pic.

Just information - you are doing an incredible job.

-Mike

Attachments

• Control.jpg
    Control.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 0

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Kevin, boatmans is off of Reno and Council...just west of Council. They did the seats for my friend David K's boat (Maxine, there is a shot of her somewhere in this thread) awesome work! Very pricey, but they specialize in boats, have done it for 20 years or so. They have some really cool photos of the stuff they have done.

Thanks for the complement Mike. I have pondered the left hand control, they actually make a unit set up for that. Unfortunately if I move it to that side the key and trim will be on the wrong side. What I have works, just wish it was a little roomier! I think radiusing the back of the seat will make it a bit easier to get in and out of, I may also look at sliding it back some today.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I spent a couple of hours today whittling on the seat. I narrowed it up about 1-1/2" and tighten up some tolerances. It fits the boat nicely now, and its fairly comfy to sit in. Now I'm mainly interested in working on the ascetics. I wanted a larger radius on the inside of seat backs, but when I laid it out it cut into your shoulder blade. So I'm toying with the idea of putting a "hump" in the seat backs. Let me know what you guys think. Still a little miffed on where to put the 6 switches and radio...and xm receiver. I have a couple ideas that I'm working on. I'll post a video later...right now I'm taking a break, hope to tackle laying out the gauges later.

IMG_3146.jpg

IMG_3147.jpg

kcatto

Seaman

I will have to look I live right down the street from reno and council....