16' Nescher ski boat complete restore- SPLASHED!!

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Re: 16' Nescher ski boat complete restore

I had to make this post....today was mostly just grinding and welding on the trailer.....good progress, but not too much to look at! I did want to make this observation.....I have been watching Cannon Ball Run while waiting for my dinner to cook....um and the characters on there reminded me of this forum! Now if I can just find the girls in the Lamborghini! I'm not going to mention who reminds me of Don Delouses!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Hey!! I resemble that remark. :D
I missed yesterday on here, Now I have got to get caught up on what everyone has been up to. :p
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Here are a couple of pictures from yesterday. The first one is a control I picked up on ebay....been in the box sitting on a shelf somewhere since 1984.....never opened as far as I can tell!

IMG_2701.jpg

Most of the progress today was just welding tabs to connect the plywood to the fender and steps...cut, grind, drill, weld, repeat process.......yeah! Here is a shot of the fender plywood mounting brackets.

IMG_2714.jpg

After that I took off the left fender and ground it down. Then I put on a coat of duraglass.....great stuff for projects like this. I'm going to try to take advantage of the warm weather today sand it down and get a couple of coats of bondo on it.

IMG_2716.jpg

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey archbuilder,
Hard to beleave you could find a new old control. I hope you got it for a good price. Nice find. :D
I see the trailer is still coming along nicely too.
I'm going to look into having someone do some repair work on my trailer for me, and who knows, that might justify the cost for me to buy a welder. ;):D
Have a great day.
Bob

BigBoatinOkie

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Impressive work. That's gonna be a cool boat. Maybe I'll swing by and see it sometime next spring. We usually play around near No. 9 Marina.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

150$, Bob and it even has the built in tilt/trim control! My mechanic said he used to get $250 for them , but he can't get them any more. Most of the used ones I saw were about $150, so I figure it was a steal! I think boat trailer repairs would justify the welder :)! The MIGs really are easy to use. I had to stick weld some on my dock this summer...hated it! The entire time I was wishing I could drag my MIG out there!

Hey Okie, we'll have to meet up, I'm usually down by the dam, but sometimes venture down by number 9. Thanks for the complement, I need to get my butt in gear or it isn't going to be done by summer!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
It's always nice to get something new even if it is 35+ yrs old. It will still work like new and for only $150. That's a great deal.
As for the welder, What would you recommend to start with. I look at them but really have no clue?
Keep up the good work
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I have a tendency to stay with the American made models. For two reasons, it keeps my $$ here and quality. I have had great luck with my Lincoln and my Hobart does a great job for its size. I would think about what kind of projects you want to tackle and how heavy the steel will be. My 125 works great on stuff up to about 1/8 and will weld 3/16 but after that forget it. My 175 does great all the way to 3/8". I also like the infinitely adjustable heat and wire feed....but that isn't essential. You might start by looking at the reviews at Northern tool (or other sites). I always find that to be a good source of info. One other thing to consider, do you have do you have 230 / 240 volt power? The bigger ones require it. I bought the 125 because it runs off of 120v and I can run it off of my generator. I would also get a gas set up, much nicer welds and not all the slag / smoke. I also have an aluminum set up for the Lincoln. Haven't used it yet.....but I might for some things on the boat.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Thanks archbuilder,
I will start doing some research on what's available around me. Like you mentioned before, I will read some reviews on the different models and go from there. :confused::rolleyes:
Can't wait to see some updates on your boat. :)
Keep it rolling.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I had the company party tonight, hopefully tomorrow night I can make some progress. I'm ready to get the trailer modifications wrapped up and on to finishing up the repairs to the bottom.

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

I was gonna ask when are you going to get back to the boat and stop playing with the trailer but you just about covered it!
I always wandered about welders like bob and your post on which one to choose/ look at is lehmans terms and very usefull for future use.
I got the stringers out tonight on the traveler! I ended up using my diamond blade for ceramic tile- worked great!
Mick

BobsGlasstream

Commander

OK archbuilder,
We have been waiting??? :p
Need to hear some updates.;)
Did you get on the trailer today?
Look forward to hearing man.
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I did do some work on the trailer.....got a couple of lights mounted.....but I had to work on my Dad's Christmas present....my goal this weekend is to wrap up the trailer....I also have some ideas on the interior that I want to work on....more or less refine the back seat and ice chest mock up.:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Ok, Archbuilder, I'm blaming you and erikgreen. I did it today and I need you to tell me how I did.
I found a very nice working Hobart handler 140 Mig, with all the gages an hose for gas, along with 3 extra rolls of wire. I only paid 200 for it all.
So, what ya think my friend?
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

I think you did very well....I'm looking at one in the northern tool catalog for $479!!!! I would also recommend an auto darking hood......I have a Hobart....think it was about $80, best thing since sliced bread.....and it floats.....umm and if it falls in the lake just take it apart and let the parts dry out for a day.........:D

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Don't ask me how I know that! :)

BobsGlasstream

Commander

archbuilder,
Thanks for the tip on the Helmet.
So they float, Ha,Ha. :D
I won't ask how you know. I think I can figure it out. :eek: :p
Bob

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

the trailers coming out nice! keep on rockin

keep posting the pics! we love em:D

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Christmas Present- what??? Oh man that's next week!!! I gotta go shopping for my wife one of these days:eek:
I updated my post on the keel issue- check out my post when you get a minute and let me know what you think- I'd like to wrap up what I gotta do on it tomorrow night.
Thanks,
Mick

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Well I ended up working late tonight....so I didn't get as much done as I had hoped. Sucks how things like running a company get in the way of my boat habit! :D Here are more trailer pictures that will bore Mick! I did want to share an old boating proverb with you Mick......"Single guy with cool boat on nice trailer spends weekend picking up hot chicks on lake. Single guy with cool boat on crappy trailer spends weekend replacing wheel bearing on side of highway....or getting fat ticket from Smoky for broken light." Since I am single I try to keep that in mind! I got the duraglass ground down and slathered on the first coat of bondo on the left fender.

IMG_2746.jpg

I also finished up mounting the marker lights on the front steps.

IMG_2738.jpg

Both tail lights are now mounted.

IMG_2741.jpg

I still have a long list on the trailer, but I'm going to get after it this weekend. Tomorrow I have a long shopping list for it...once I have that done I should be able to make some progress. Anyone have any suggestions for "wire management" on the trailer light wires? I hate having them zip tied to my nice painted frame....or flopping around. One of my friends used 1/2 EMT (glav metal electrical conduit) on his flatbed. It worked great, he just strapped it to the inside of the frame and pulled the wire through it. I just wonder if that is a great idea for a trailer that is in the water all the time? Unless I can think of something else, I may give it a try.