Mercruiser Engine Help

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Mercruiser Engine Help

Quote ......"Core plugs have been Called Freeze plugs since the 1st 1 popped out,+ saved some guys motor...
That don't make a Core plug a Freeze plug..."

Interesting ......that's like saying Kleenex is not a piece of tissue .....it's really a brand name.

Regardless of what you think of the block protection characteristic of these plugs the common parlance for these plugs .....even at the highest technical level is FREEZE PLUGS.

Check the linked article which even has input from a chief block plant engineer at Chrysler.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dutra-blocks/slant-blocks.htm

If guys at this level call them freeze plugs ...that's good enough for me ..:D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What they are called and what their job is, is two completely different things. As bondo stated, they have been called freeze plugs forever. BUT, that doesn't make them "freeze damage protection plugs that will pop out and save the block plugs" it makes them a "Freeze plug, slang name for core plug and will not protect against freeze damage plug"

SuperNova

Lieutenant

These gas venting / "shakeout" holes are the ones we commonly refer to as freeze plug holes.
That's a direct quote from your article. The holes are not put there with the intent that someday they may save the block from a freeze. They are put there for purposes used during the casting processes. The holes are a byproduct, not an intentional design feature.

I am as guilty as the rest of the world in calling them freeze plugs, but as a professional mechanic I don't think they are going to save a block if it freezes and I know this from first hand experience. I've seen blocks that crack without ever even moving a plug and I've seen them with several plugs pushed out and the block still cracked, but I don't recall having seen one where the plugs pushed out and the block didn't crack.

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Quote ......"Core plugs have been Called Freeze plugs since the 1st 1 popped out,+ saved some guys motor...
That don't make a Core plug a Freeze plug..."

Interesting ......that's like saying Kleenex is not a piece of tissue .....it's really a brand name.

Regardless of what you think of the block protection characteristic of these plugs the common parlance for these plugs .....even at the highest technical level is FREEZE PLUGS.

Check the linked article which even has input from a chief block plant engineer at Chrysler.

http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dutra-blocks/slant-blocks.htm

If guys at this level call them freeze plugs ...that's good enough for me ..:D

I'll let this die but at the highest technical level would mean the guys that designed them into their product. Merc. MARINE engine engineers clearly state they are designed as CORE PLUGS.

At design meetings I have had with engineers for machine production, common slang is used just to keep things shorter and let non engineer people at the meeting understand. BUT when the design specs are written, the proper term is always used.

I just can't believe all the FREEZE PLUG comments when the link to the Merc. Service Bulletin is posted multiple times on this thread and through the site.

You guys can read it in OFFICIAL black and white and still refuse to believe it.

I give up. The facts are there. Some guys just refuse to admit that the slang term does not make it so.

To quote the information in your link. He identifies them correctly but mentions they are commonly called FREEZE PLUG HOLES. That does not mean YOUR EXPERT is calling them that.

From your link
These gas venting / "shakeout" holes are the ones we commonly refer to as freeze plug holes.

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

"commonly refer to as freeze plug holes." ...to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes ...."That my dear Watson is precisely the point.".......sorry, couldn't resist !....:D

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

"commonly refer to as freeze plug holes." ...to paraphrase Sherlock Holmes ...."That my dear Watson is precisely the point.".......sorry, couldn't resist !....:D

I realize that the discussion deteriorated from the Purpose of the device to it's common names, But I can not resist this comeback, all in fun :D:D:D:D

To Quote Ron White who actually makes money by saying it, "You can't fix stupid"

Everyone have a great holiday.

sfborn

Cadet

I am looking at an 18' 1993 baja with a Mercruiser 4.6LX. Boat is in good condition, but the owner says he has not serviced the engine in over 6 years!
I planned to take it to a mechanic but now thinking it may not be worth persuing. Don't the engines and drives have to be serviced (oil change) every 2-3 years? The engine has 250 hrs on it and the owner says it fires right up, but I haven't witnessed it yet.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

sfborn - it is better to start a thread of your own - the only reason I saw it is shear morbid curiosity on the way the "frost plug" marathon was going to end. :)

Cptkid570

Ensign

As opposed to the frost plug/freeze plug debate, I was hoping there would be a little more debate on the real issue here.

1. Should the daughter dump the boyfriend because he or his business parter didn't winterize correctly. or...

2. Should the daughter marry the boyfriend because he is a boater and has a nice boat?

Now, my suggestion to the problem with the boat -- get a longblock from rapidomarine.com

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ya Fishermark ...... I was kind of wondering where it would go myself ..;)

I absolutely know that "You can't fix stupid" has nothing to do with me ...... as the poster knows
aspersions as to the character of other members are strictly verboten...:D

Re ..the1993 Baja .....take the boat out for a test drive ..... but first check the fluid levels

once you get the engine started check oil pressure .....should be over 40

check the volt meter ..... should be over 13 volts ..good enough for now

ok ....go for a spin .after ten mins..carefully put your hand on each riser ....you should be able to hold your hand on them for a while ...that's around 140 degrees ... BE CAREFUL ..they could be hotter ....

OK .....if everything checks out .......you could buy the boat subject to inspection by a MARINE mechanic.

Ya .....oil should have been changed but if all the above checks out ...sounds good to me.

Then you gotta decide if you are going to learn how to do all the basic stuff yourself or leave to a marine mechanic.

NOTES ...... If the risers are too hot you have a cooling system issue.

Unless the battery is fully charged volt meter should read 14 plus

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

One other thing ...keep an eye on the coolant temp guage ...these guages are notoriously out of wack ....... but should be running around 160 plus .....for now 180 is ok .....but if it starts reading over 195 .... better call it a day and find out what's going on ......if you have an IR thermo take it along ...temp at the thermo housing should be in the 160 - 165 range ..... risers 140 or so and hoses going to the manifolds 110 to 120

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definitely get the engine and boat checked out by a pro. Maybe your seller was trying to imply that the boat was never serviced for a break down as opposed to routine maintenance.

PS:

Ya Fishermark ...... I was kind of wondering where it would go myself ..;)

I absolutely know that "You can't fix stupid" has nothing to do with me ...... as the poster knows
aspersions as to the character of other members are strictly verboten...:D

You are correct. This site is great and online friendships and kidding does develop.

I really liked your Sherlock quote and enjoyed the humor in it :D. Mine was just a smirk line and not a comment on anyone's particular character. Kind of l like the way They Say is often used.

After all when "They Say" It is often accepted as fact. But in reality who the ell are they and why should we follow them.;)

Fisnfool

Petty Officer 2nd Class

As opposed to the frost plug/freeze plug debate, I was hoping there would be a little more debate on the real issue here.

1. Should the daughter dump the boyfriend because he or his business parter didn't winterize correctly. or...

2. Should the daughter marry the boyfriend because he is a boater and has a nice boat?

Now, my suggestion to the problem with the boat -- get a longblock from rapidomarine.com

Marry the boyfriend because he has a boat AND the money to take care of it.
(see his solution choices)

There are only two real loves in a single life. Your spouse and your boat. And when yo have a day on the water spending time with both, LIFE DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT

intrepidvoyager

Petty Officer 1st Class

OH ....you old smoothie fishingfool ........ AND YES .....she should marry the guy and ChasR ...you can volunteer to look after the boat for your new son in law !!!! That of course means regular outings by YOU to make sure all is ship shape ....buy yourself a multi meter and an IR thermo and a manual so you'll know how to run all the checks to keep the boat in top shape ......if you end up replacing the engine or block why not get a closed cooling system ( if it will fit ) ...the new engine will love it !!! Now fishingfool is right ....boating with your sweetie is great .....but how about boating with your sweetie in a FREE boat !!! Man that would be cool.

The only question now is ...who pays the gas ?..:D

ChasR

Cadet

I am honored to have hosted the "freeze plug" debate;) I am sensing great indebtedness from the boyfriend and am sure to turn it into considerable boating time.
Meanwhile. I removed the enclosures around the engine in order to inspect it and feel that we'll be OK trying to pull the engine. Except, I can't get a good view of the outdrive connection so I'm unable to determine where all of the bolts are and if we will be able to get to them. Does anyone here that has pulled an engine have any advice, or experiences to relate? I would really like to obtain a manual that shows what is on the back side of the engine. Most manuals cover things too generic so they don't have enough info on a specific setup. Tried the installation manuals in My Account 4 Shared but they don't cover 2007 as far as I can tell.
This thread is long but didn't want to get in trouble for starting a new thread (Most hosts don't like that)
Thanks for help thus far
Chas

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.... The Factory manuals are available up in the Adults Only section of this forum....
Basically,... Pull the Drive(6 or 8 nuts)...
Then pull the motor,... 2 bolts in the back,+ whatevers holdin' the front...

Btw,.... It's Core plug.....

fishinpa

Petty Officer 1st Class

ChasR its really not that difficult

Once you have your drive pulled and go inside ,get all hareness and cables removed from engine, label connections and cables as you pull them .

the rear of engine is not much to be concerned about ,there isnt really a lot back there ,2 bolts and maybe a cpl grounds ,p/s connections depending on how you unhook it all.

heres a look at a v-6 it will be nearly the same on your v-8

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Mx-9IDhMJvFs9jOSwmyxMA?feat=directlink

look it all over , tag and mark things next time will be a breeze! lol

fish

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

Like the others mentioned, it is actually fairly simple to pull the engine - especially since you have already pulled the enclosures, etc.

The only thing I would add is that it is best to keep the front mounts on the engine and unbolt them from the stringers. Here's a pic that shows the back of the engine / bellhousing area. This is from a straight six - but the bellhousing will connect (and disconnect) the same.

DSCF5559.jpg