Re-Power Options?

reelfishin

Captain
I just became the owner of an older 19' fishing boat, the former owner kept the motor for use on a different style boat. The hull is in great shape and is layed out perfect for the type of fishing I do.
Its rated for 150 HP max, but I don't think I want to go that high for economy reasons. It had an 85 HP Johnson on it, a V4 that the old owner said did well, but was pretty hard on fuel. He estimated around 14/gal per hour. It's also got only two removable 6 gallon tanks.
I can't imagine that type of fuel consumption and only 12 gallons of fuel.

I have looked at the new Mercury and Evinrude motors, but thats just not in the budget. I either have to find an affordable new engine or a good used one. I would prefer to find the same engine or something close to what this had since the controls are still in the boat from the old motor.
I've looked around for a few weeks now and haven't found any decent used motors around that weren't either badly salt damaged, or well worn. I am not partial to any brand. I also do not want to be underpowered to the point it's not safe either. I figure that anything in the 90 to 120 range would be fine. It's not a real heavy boat either.

My question is, what can I put on here that will be affordable, and not be too hard on fuel?

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: Re-Power Options?

You might get lucky and find an early a 90 or 115 Ficht. The early V-6 Fichts had problems, but the V-4 versions did great. The bad reputation trickles down and people sometimes sell their V-4 Fichts based on hearsay. To stay with the same controls, you're going to be limited to Johnson or Evinrude. There is an adapter for the wiring harness available, but the rest should work. They changed harness plugs in 1995 or so, but the actual wiring is pretty much the same.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think a johnny/rude 112 spl would do nicely, i still prefer to premix.

D

DJ

Remember a small engine working its guts out will use more fuel than a big engine loafing.

At 14 gallons per hour that 85 was way overworked.

studlymandingo

Commander

Same thing I was gonna say there DJ a 150 would probably get much better economy than the 85 did. Be a lot more boat also. I have an 18.5' Center Console and the 150 seems to be just right; there ARE days when I long for a 200 though! I have found that at about 38 mph I am getting the best economy and it is FAR better than 14GPH.

Rancherlee

Chief Petty Officer

In all reality HOW MUCH CASH do you want to spend tops? 3000$ range will get you into do decent engines, 4000$ really opens the doors on used motors (like EFI 4 strokes, LOW hour Ficht V4's)