78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

5speedhemi

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 78 Starcraft, V5-22, What do I have?

Hello all, I just wanted to give an update. I haven't done much for the restoration because I've been in and out of the hospital for complications from my surgery. Good news is that I bought a new house that has 2.5 acres and I'll have room to build a shop to work on it! I close in two weeks and plan on having a 32x60 shop built in September. Not all bad news though... I've lost 96 pounds and will be able to work more efficiently on the boat!!

5 speed

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

96 lbs., that is like a whole person you just peeled off!
Stay on it and stay healthy buddy! Your new shop sounds super!

l2ush

Cadet

Hey guys. I am buying the boat that 5speed has been working on. He passed away august 12th and his wife and i are friends so she asked if i would buy and finish the boat. Im not familar with aluminum boats of this size. But i have read all the posts and hope you all can give me a little guidance when needed.

sprintst

Commander

Holy smokes man.

You'll find lots of help here.

l2ush

Cadet

Thats good cause i have looked at the boat and allllll the parts he has bought n taken off. Its kinda overwhelming

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very sad to read that 5speed passed away. Even more depressing to go back read his final post wherein he had big plans for the future :(

Welcome 12ush to the Starmada! 5speed had big plans for that tub and we'll do our best to help you with the info you need to finish it.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

Please pass along our condolences to 5 speeds wife and family.
As EZ said very sad. He passed just 6 days after his last post.

l2ush

Cadet

hey guys i was just on the phone with her tellin her about u guys and she said she really appriciates it n cant wait to see the boat all together and finished

l2ush

Cadet

Im gonna get the boat drug to the house this week and i think its gonna take me a few truck n trailer loads to get it all here but im ready to get started on it. I just know what all he has and what he needs for it from reading the posts. She told me she had no idea what he still needed for it so i guess time will tell

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Oh my goodness....

Unbelievable.

I kept expecting to start seeing updates any day now of 5speed jumping on it and making some progress. How very sad indeed. Please share my condolences with his family, so sorry for their loss.

Well, we are all here to help you, as best we can, to put this rig back together.

l2ush

Cadet

ok guys i have the boats at the house now all i have to do is gather up all the parts and figure out where to start

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

If I may make a suggestion for ya...

I would brew a pot of coffee or grab a 6 pack or your favorite adult beverage and do some reading.

If you click on the "Starcrafts being rebuilt" link in my signature there you'll see what many skilled fellas have done with their rigs. The vast majority are works in progress while a few of them are completed. I think reading through a bunch of those might give you a great cross section of what can be done with these old boats.

Have fun and let us know where you need help K?

Cheers!:D

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Yah, you'll want just a bit of a gap between your deck and hull. Otherwise you have all sorts of racket/seeks going on. You'll rivet down your deck to the ribs too, eh!

Good to see you moving on her!

l2ush

Cadet

Got the flooring unpacked and all the parts in the floor gonna get to work on it tomorrow. Gonna pull the motor and fuel tansk so i can flip the boat and do some welding and repair some rivits. Will prolly get the bottom ready for paint and shoot it while its upside down.

IMG00043-20101203-1653.jpg

IMG00044-20101203-1653.jpg

IMG00045-20101203-1653.jpg

l2ush

Cadet

Started cutting the aluminum flooring today. Still waiting on a welder to fix the hull and the heads are cracked on the motor. Waiting on rivits to come in had to order them. Any sugestions on what to use as floation. I have been kicking the idea around to use the water noodles u swim with. A 57" long and 4" around will hold 200 lbs and they will be easy to place in there and never get water logged. Plus in the bottem under the fuel tank water can still run under and through them. What do u guys think? i have researched the pour in foam but once u pour it in its there and would be a pain to get out if u ever had to do any hull repairs.

Attachments

• IMG00055-20101217-1611.jpg
    IMG00055-20101217-1611.jpg
    137.5 KB · Views: 0

Huron Angler

Admiral

Very sorry that 5speed passed away, he did have some big plans for this boat.

It will be a nice thing to finish what he started and you have a great project on your hands.

There are a few of us that have used pool noodles under the deck. I like the drainage allowed by the shape when they are lengthwise with the hull.

The pink/blue foam from HD and Lowes is good also, I used a combination of both on my SS and I'm happy with the results.

I really don't want to find out how well they float the rig though:D

Glad to see you working on the boat, that is one sweet hull and I can't wait to see her all done.:)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

That floor material looks cool!

Broadcast

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry to hear about 5speed. Best of luck on your future endeavors. I'm sure his family will be pleased his dream lives on with you!

Status
Not open for further replies.