splitfire spark plugs on 15hp

storedaddy

Cadet
trouble shooting a 1979 johnson 15hp thank will not start. took off plug boots and it has splitfire plugs. I have read several times here to only use recommended plugs. how much damage could these plugs have done to the motor? could this be the reason for the no start? no compression tester on hand I will have to get one tomorrow. on with the trouble shoot. the plugs do spark, pull the fuel lever severl times and I can see fuel comming out of the front of the carb not alot but enough to be seen (normal?). what next. obviously compression check

kbait

Commander
Re: splitfire spark plugs on 15hp

The plugs likely didn't hurt anything, as long as they weren't so long as to hit the pistons.. Compression check and spark check w/tester are first on the list. Should get 7/16" blue bolt w/CD ignition..

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Go to the Top Secret file at the top of this forum. Do "Outboard won't start". Let us know what you get.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

The Splitfires were a feeble attempt at fixing an underlying problem. They didn't work, obviously. Check: Compression, Spark, then fuel delivery system.