What should I Look for?

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I Have 2 motors I can buy for really cheap one is a 9.5 evinrude sportwin, the other is a 10hp johnson the guy told me he thnks its from the 70's? .. Whats my best bet.. Im kinda partial to the johnson, And What should I look for when I go checkin it out? should I bring a compression tester? and What else is basic to look for? IM hoping this motor is at a cheap price and probably a quick easy cheapISH fix. IM just wanting to know the main things to look for that scream "not worth it"

Whoopbass

Chief Petty Officer
Re: What should I Look for?

Either motor would be fine. I would probably go with the newer one.
If their cheap like you say I would just look them over real good and make sure there isn't any missing parts and pick the one that has been the least abused.

As long as the motor turns over and there is decent compression you should get them to run with just cleaning out the fuel system.

If the price was right I would buy both of them then get them running and sell the spare to recoup all your money so you end up with a free outboard.

If you have a compression gauge I would look for even compression of 80lbs+.
Pull both plugs then squirt some wd-40 in the cylinders and give it a few good pulls.

jbjennings

Captain

Is it a 10hp or a 9.9hp???? There's a big difference in them. The 10hp johnson wasn't made after about '63. I think they came out with that hideously ugly 9.5 in '64. I don't like them because they are ugly, mainly.:D
Then, I don't like that they are always having trouble with exhaust leaks into the cowl and that the pull cord gets chaffed quickly because of the goof-ball angle it takes through the front cover. I have worked on one before and it was a smooth running motor, I just didn't like it. I like the 10's from the 50's and early 60's much better. Some folks really like them, however! Just not me.......:redface:
Later,
JBJ

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Smooth running 9.5, you must of lucked out. IMO they are the gap motor, the motor that bridged the gap between good motors and great motors. I much prefer the 9.9s as they are easier to work on and bullet proof for the most part. The 9.5's are smokey, leaky, and put out around 7.5 hp they say and they say the cranks didn't stand up to the abuse. I have both 9.9 and 9.5 motors, hands down I'd take the 9.9 over the 9.5, the 9.5 is more of a novelty to say I own one than to trust it on the lake.

jbjennings

Captain

Dang BK!
And I thought I disliked the 9.5!!!!???:eek::p
I've never owned one but fixed one for a guy. It needed a new ignition as usual, and new lower unit and water pump impeller. I cleaned the carb, too, but it was running good as it was. The motor itself ran just as smooth as any of my motors on idle and cranked just as easy, too. I'll agree that it was a weak sister on the horsepower and that the 9.9 is a FAR better motor, but heck, if it was running good I would actually trust it just fine. This is the first I've heard about the crank not holding up. I mainly hate the looks and the idea of having to take that midsection and powerhead loose in order to fix motor mounts or exhaust seals----two problems that seem far too common with these. If it weren't for those two things I really couldn't complain too much about the motor other than it's homely appearance. But it's good to know I'm not the only one that thinks it is a weak branch on the johnson family tree.;)
later,
JBJ

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'm not an ugly 9.5 fan either but it also depends on what year the 10hp is. They stopped making em in '63. Some models were weak. Like the '58 had a weak lower unit. At least the 10's have a normal carb to work on and the entire engine is easier to work on.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea I went and looked at the 10 and it was a piece of doo.. The guy was swearing by it the whole time and Yea when he told me it was a johnson seahorse 10hp made in the late 70's.. I knew either he didnt know what he had or he was tryin to jip me.. but he didnt know a thing about it. It was around a 58 or 59 I think bc it needed a two line pressure tank and fuel line.. no fuel pump.. I seen pics of the 9.5 it looks to be in decent shape and from what I see its all there.. He "SAID" it ran about a year and half ago and the pull cord broke.. as jbjennings referred to the wearing ropes. HE said he has a 9.9 also and just never seen fit to fix the 9.5 as he likes the 9.9 more. So he wants to sale it so Im prolly gonna jump on it.. He said hes gonna sale that motor to me, He said the guy he bought it from years ago gave him an extra powerhead when he bought it. so he said he will give that to me also, and a evinrude 5hp that he said his young son dropped in the river. ALL for $100, I said ok. that sound decent to you guys?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yea I went and looked at the 10 and it was a piece of doo.. The guy was swearing by it the whole time and Yea when he told me it was a johnson seahorse 10hp made in the late 70's.. I knew either he didnt know what he had or he was tryin to jip me.. but he didnt know a thing about it. It was around a 58 or 59 I think bc it needed a two line pressure tank and fuel line.. no fuel pump.. I seen pics of the 9.5 it looks to be in decent shape and from what I see its all there.. He "SAID" it ran about a year and half ago and the pull cord broke.. as jbjennings referred to the wearing ropes. HE said he has a 9.9 also and just never seen fit to fix the 9.5 as he likes the 9.9 more. So he wants to sale it so Im prolly gonna jump on it.. He said hes gonna sale that motor to me, He said the guy he bought it from years ago gave him an extra powerhead when he bought it. so he said he will give that to me also, and a evinrude 5hp that he said his young son dropped in the river. ALL for $100, I said ok. that sound decent to you guys?

Condition is everything. If that 9.5 has the all to common busted rubber mounts or exhaust leaks under the cover, it will be the best $100 you ever wasted. The 1964 and '65 models didn't idle well. That was fixed in the 1966-up models.

Having said that, I happen to like the 9.5 motors as they were originally built. Trouble is, they had the problems that I just mentioned and they are a real challenge for a novice to repair when they do. Also, BRP seems determined to get them off the market and no longer supply critical parts for them.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Unless you have the experience to adequately evaluate what you are buying, I'd take a pass on all of it.

Your guy sounds like he has no clue what he is selling or what condition it is in. That being the case, I would assume its all junk, unless I could make a reasonable judgement otherwise.

???

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Hmmm... They all say it used to run. as they did at some point. If you cant even pull it to turn it over you cant evaluate anything. Compression, spark, seized, etc. You are taking a bit of a risk. But as you get a 2nd powerhead and a rusted 5hp for the $100, personally I'd take it. But you might have to become an outboard mechanic to get one up and running!

jbjennings

Captain

I wouldn't go for it, myself. IF the 9.5 has a good front motor mount, clutch dog, powerhead, and exhaust seal, you'll still spend your time and another 150$ getting it right. If you try to sell it you'll be lucky to get your money back. The thing is, I seriously doubt the above parts are good and that will ruin the deal totally. The 5hp is worthless other than the lower unit and maybe a carb, and those motors aren't that desirable since there's too many 5.5's and 6's out there that are better deals in my opinion. I'd be more interested in the 10hp for parts.
I'd pass.
JBJ​

bktheking

Vice Admiral

Dang BK!
And I thought I disliked the 9.5!!!!???:eek::p

Think about it, i can run my 7.5 in a barrel with the cover on, my 9.9, my 15 but not the 9.5??? Well mine does run in the barrel with the cover on but lots on here ask why theirs won't, and it idles like crap, FR mentioned 64/65, mine is a 65. Is that considered a good motor or a design flaw. Big rubber donut gaskets in the leg to stop exhaust gasses that are very hard to find and a PITA to replace? They were OMC's attempt to build a motor for the fisherman, sits low so you can cast??? What about the rest of the 13 1/2 ft of the boat. It's weird too cause they built it for 9 years until someone woke up and said "we can build a better motor" then the 9.9 came out. Next spring i'm gonna get a smaller boat just for playing around and running the motors, i'm curious to see if the 9.5 feels like .4 less hp that a 9.9 or it's more like the 7.5 power wise.

I will say there are 2 things I do like about the 9.5, the weight and the twist grip. They weigh 60 lbs so they are nice and light to carry around and the twist grip is far superior to that silly meshed gear design on the 9.9.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yea working on something isn't a problem with me im pretty persistent lol. But this is two different guys were talking about here.. the first one knew absolutely nothing.. the 2nd (with the 9.5) from talking to him he seemed to know a lil bit and be a stand up guy. He was explaining the whole "INTRODUCES" Thing to me with the model numbers and finding the year. And from the sound of it he seem to have about 10 motors in his shed. But I kinda like the way the deal sounds. The motor may be a lil troublesome and a weak point in the johnson/evinrude chain but its not useless..

And referring to what jb said.. checking the clutch dog is simply snapping it into gear right and feeling it snap into place and hold itself there right? and are the front rubber mounts visible and where are they so I can check them and anyway I can see this exhaust seal with just the cowl off or is there more to it?

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Yea working on something isn't a problem with me im pretty persistent lol. But this is two different guys were talking about here.. the first one knew absolutely nothing.. the 2nd (with the 9.5) from talking to him he seemed to know a lil bit and be a stand up guy. He was explaining the whole "INTRODUCES" Thing to me with the model numbers and finding the year. And from the sound of it he seem to have about 10 motors in his shed. But I kinda like the way the deal sounds. The motor may be a lil troublesome and a weak point in the johnson/evinrude chain but its not useless..

And referring to what jb said.. checking the clutch dog is simply snapping it into gear right and feeling it snap into place and hold itself there right? and are the front rubber mounts visible and where are they so I can check them and anyway I can see this exhaust seal with just the cowl off or is there more to it?

1. ANY motor can have a worn out clutch dog, so that is not a unique worry here. You can't tell without running it on a boat.

2. Grab hold of the flywheel (not running, Duh) and see if you can move the powerhead fore and aft. A rubbery feel in the mounts is normal. Gross flopping around indicates a broken mount.

3. That rubber flap or donut as it gets called always gets the blame for the exhaust inhallation problem, but seldom is the real cause. There are several other possible leak paths.

4. True, since they sit so low, they won't run hardly at all in a barrel with the hood on. And not too well with it off either. They can't breathe down in there. Neither can you. They were designed to run on a boat on the lake, not in a barrel.

stingertrey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok Im gonna go check it out if it looks to be in overall good shape and isnt flopping im goin for it.. so what happens is the exhaust leaks under the cowl and gets recirculated back through the carb making it run like crap??