Hypothetical! If Cheney Goes...

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
At the very least, this is putting the cart before the horse. But right now **** Cheney is one badly wounded duck. It is conceivable that his tenure may not reach 2008. It could be for political, legal, personal, or health reasons. Any of those have about even odds. If it happens, who is your favorite to replace him?

My vote goes to The Governator!

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Hypothetical! If Cheney Goes...

Since Nancy is next in line, and there's less than 2 years left in the current term, and since the Demos control the House and the Senate, there might not be a confirmed nomination. However, since Bush seems to be in good health, it's probably academic. Many hypotheticals.

Bass Man Bruce

Lieutenant

I was thinking about this when news of Cheneys blood clot surfaced. Whoever Bush might want to back in the Repub primary might be first in line to be first in line. Given that Pelosi would only be the proverbial heart beat away if there is no VP, I don't think Bush would waste a lot of time. I don't know if the Dems can block or not.

Bondo

Staff member

My vote goes to The Governator!

That Can't happen, for Constitutional reasons............

But I do think it might be a Good Thing if Cheney did step down,........
It might be a good way to get an Electable replacement groomed for 08.............

Condi Rice maybe,..??..??.........

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Actually I think it can happen. To run for President, you have to be a natural-born citizen. But he wouldn't be running and not for President. At least that's my understanding. I recall the pundits knocking that ball around a few years back. They called it a backdoor to the White House. I guess there's nothing saying an immigrant can't be President, just can't run for President. And of course that's only if Bush's tenure ends early.

If an agreeable candidate were selected, I don't think congress or the house would block it. But a Bolton or Rumsfeld et al nomination would be inviting problems. I haven't heard of any Pelosi presidential aspirations. I'm sure she's delighted with her current role.

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Condi or I like Fred Thompson as well. I don't know the process of replacing the VP. Does the congress have any say in it?

The 25th admendment to the consitution covers this:

Example,

This Amendment saw multiple use during the 1970s and resulted for the first time in our history in the accession to the Presidency and Vice-Presidency of two men who had not faced the voters in a national election. First, Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned on October 10, 1973, and President Nixon nominated Gerald R. Ford of Michigan to succeed him, following the procedures of Sec. 2 of the Amendment for the first time. Hearings were held upon the nomination by the Senate Rules Committee and the House Judiciary Committee, both Houses thereafter confirmed the nomination, and the new Vice President took the oath of office December 6, 1973
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment25/

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you might not recall, Both Nelson Rockefeller and Gerald Ford were replacement VPs.

The President nominates, Congress advises and consents.

OldMercsRule

Captain

Plainsman said:
Condi or I like Fred Thompson as well. I don't know the process of replacing the VP. Does the congress have any say in it?

The 25th admendment to the consitution covers this:

Example,

This Amendment saw multiple use during the 1970s and resulted for the first time in our history in the accession to the Presidency and Vice-Presidency of two men who had not faced the voters in a national election. First, Vice President Spiro Agnew resigned on October 10, 1973, and President Nixon nominated Gerald R. Ford of Michigan to succeed him, following the procedures of Sec. 2 of the Amendment for the first time. Hearings were held upon the nomination by the Senate Rules Committee and the House Judiciary Committee, both Houses thereafter confirmed the nomination, and the new Vice President took the oath of office December 6, 1973
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/data/constitution/amendment25/

Yep Eric, I like those two as well. JR 8)8)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

Techno for President!

oops... sorry... wrong thread....

bekosh

Lieutenant

Let's get conspiratorial. Joe Lieberman. Well liked, moderate. An easy confirmation. o:)

Then the Republican governor of Conneticut appoints a Republican senator and the Republicans take control of the Senate 50-49. :devil:

Wailing and knashing of teeth ensues among the lefties.
:worship:
:popcorn:

OldMercsRule

Captain

Great Idea Bekosh! BTW Lieberman is a Liberal STATESMAN not a "moderate". I know that they are very rare, if not: nearly non existent in todays' world where most Libs want defeat to capture power, n' bad mouth the Country most of us luv! My $.02 JR. 8)8)

rolmops

Vice Admiral

bekosh said:
Let's get conspiratorial. Joe Lieberman. Well liked, moderate. An easy confirmation. o:)

Then the Republican governor of Conneticut appoints a Republican senator and the Republicans take control of the Senate 50-49. :devil:

Wailing and knashing of teeth ensues among the lefties.
:worship:
:popcorn:

That sounds like a nice plan,but it does not work.You see,it would be 50/50, not 50 /49 and good old Joe Lieberman being the vice president would have the tie braking vote

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

WillyBWright said:
Actually I think it can happen. To run for President, you have to be a natural-born citizen. But he wouldn't be running and not for President. At least that's my understanding.

I disagree. The wording of the Constitution on that is "No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; "

OldMercsRule

Captain

BoatBuoy said:
WillyBWright said:
Actually I think it can happen. To run for President, you have to be a natural-born citizen. But he wouldn't be running and not for President. At least that's my understanding.

I disagree. The wording of the Constitution on that is "No person except a natural born Citizen, or a Citizen of the United States, at the time of the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be eligible to the Office of President; "

Spot on: BB! JR 8)8)

crunch

Commander

OldMercsRule said:
BoatBuoy said:
WillyBWright said:

Spot on: BB! JR 8)8)

Mail call..... :p

bekosh

Lieutenant

rolmops said:
That sounds like a nice plan,but it does not work.You see,it would be 50/50, not 50 /49 and good old Joe Lieberman being the vice president would have the tie braking vote

Lieberman would have the tie breaking vote. The actual numbers would be 50R/49D/1Ind. Bernie Sanders of Vermont is an Independent. But he caucuses with the Dems. So it would come down to "WWJD?" * :%
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Senate#Current_composition

*-"What would Joe do?"

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Thanks for the quote Boatbuoy. But unfortunately it doesn't say anything about a vice-president. So have the founding fathers created a loophole here? Just for the sake of argument, let's say that an immigrant is confirmed to the vice-presidency in similar circumstances. Then a few months later, the president suffers a catastrophic event making it necessary to step aside. The vice-president is next in line. But he can't be president because he's an immigrant. But he's the vice-president and he's next in line. But he's still an immigrant and he can't be president. But we have only one vice-president and he's next in line. Interesting dilemna. One that would make the Supreme Court for sure. And what a heyday for the media!

Aw to heck with it. I'll save the nation the agony and throw-in for Fred Thompson too. :)
Condi? No Way! She's scary enough right where she's at. :%

Whoever the VP is, his vote is the President's vote if he wants to keep his job. ;)

I don't mean to hijack my own thread, but if Cheney goes, who will be our President? Will Dubya step-up and actually do it? ;)