1972 Starcraft Supersport

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice
Just brought home my wife's grandfather's SS. Looks to be in good shape. We will need to replace the floor, interior, etc... Never done this before, but with all the threads out there, we hope to have her on the water late next summer.

IMG_0301.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1972 Starcraft Supersport

Based on your location in Ohio.... your season is shot and you have a great winter project ahead.

1/2 or 3/4 exterior plywood for the deck..... catch a look at ezmobee who is neck deep into his new SS project. It's all fairly easy work.

Your boat looks nice and clean. Are you planning on paint too?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Well that boat sure looks familiar :) Good luck with it. We had ours out for a test run after acquiring it and before I started tearing into it and we were very impressed with it's performance. 39MPH with only a 90HP.

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

I've been trying to follow every thread on a SS restore I can find. EZ's was the first one I found. I will be following that one closely. Really enjoyed NB's, but that thread made me late for work the next day:rolleyes:. Very detailed.

We are building the list of things we would like to accomplish:
Decking
Seats
Gas tank
New electricals
Paint

Same list that everyone has....

Bob_VT

Staff member

Please go back and resize those photos to 640 x 480 which is the forum size.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Thank you! Looks great!

Rickairmedic

Commander

Pap welcome to iboats and since you have shown us pictures :D The Starcraft club . Make sure to check out the Starcraft forum for our get together we are planning for next June in Virginia ( theres a link to it at the bottom of my post ) . Thats a great lookin SS look forward to watching another great old Starcraft become new again :D.

Rick

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

Had a couple minutes to take the seats out. That's all I needed, a couple minutes. Nothing holding the captains chair in place except one screw. Almost fell through the deck when I cast it over the side. Just a bit rotted:rolleyes:. Other side had all the screws in place, so that's where all my effort went. :D

My wife doesn't work tonight so we should be able to get the rest of the interior removed tomorrow.

Thanks for the responses. I hope that things go smoothly, as it would be awesome to use it next summer.:)

motorpsykler

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome Pap. Really nice boat! Thought you might like to check out this video for motivation. I think you will find the view familiar. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_kL9fah7DA

That is my boat the day after I brought it home. I'm restoring it as well, although right now I'm occupied with the trailer. Welcome to the forum:)

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

Well we started to pull out the interior yesterday. Things went pretty smoothly. BTW it was a true family moment, my wife and 3 year old were both turning screw drivers helping in the disassemble. And now the pics

Bow seating out along with side console.
IMG_0309.jpg

My wife pulling some screws from the other console.
IMG_0312.jpg

Floor out of bow, Woo Hoo dry foam!
IMG_0315.jpg

Foam removed
IMG_0318.jpg

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

More Pics

Rear decking removed up to gas tank.
IMG_0317.jpg

Pile of wood from the crumbling decking. We were able to save most of the decking for template material.
IMG_0316.jpg

Now a couple questions.
We stopped at the rear of the boat because both the gas tanks were full. Gas is over 6 years old. Is there a proper way to dispose of the gas?

The boat had been in an unheated garage for 6+ years, not winterized. Is there something that needs to be done to the motor before we get too cold? My dad mentioned greasing the lower unit. Thanks, Bill

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The boat had been in an unheated garage for 6+ years, not winterized. Is there something that needs to be done to the motor before we get too cold? My dad mentioned greasing the lower unit. Thanks, Bill

Since it's been 6 years, I wouldn't worry about it. If feel like it, you could change the lower unit lube.

It is amazing how exactly the same our boats are and we're currently in the same project phase. A good bit of my foam was wet. I'm throwing it all out. I think I'm going to replace it all with pool noodles. If yours is dry, I would reuse it. If you do though, I would definitely do the Gluvit application and make sure you keep your boat covered. You don't want it to get waterlogged. I'm ditching the steel gas tank. In fact I currently have it listed on Craigslist for free hoping someone takes it off my hands so I don't have to figure out how to dispose of it. Mine only had about 5 gallons of gas in it. I have it in a portable tank now and will probably just put a little of it at a time in my older pickup. I'm going to replace it with an 18 gallon plastic tank that will fit between the stringers. It will be too tall to fit completely below the floor but I plan on building a casting deck back there and it will be covered by that.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Pap thats funny I watched EZ pulling that exact same tank out of his SS. As far as getting rid of the gas check with your local autoparts retailers ( my local autozones will take old gas as well as oil and other fluids ) . Looks like you guys are catching up with me quick .

Rick

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

Yeah, we made good progress yesterday. The nice weather had a lot to do with it.

EZ, good to see that the power washer did such a good job cleaning out the hull. I will have to give that a try if the weather keeps cooperating.

Rick, have no fear my progress will slow soon enough.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

my progress will slow soon enough.

Mine will rapidly decline due to finances soon. My wife would rather I not spend anymore money on it until after all the Christmas presents are bought.

Pap's SuperSport

Seaman Apprentice

You're still ahead of me. I need to get that last piece of decking out before I can wash it down. Gluvit needs to be order...etc etc etc

FYI: Born in Pottsville, raised in Lancaster, now in Delaware OH

scipper77

Commander

Since it's been 6 years, I wouldn't worry about it. If feel like it, you could change the lower unit lube.

I'm ditching the steel gas tank. In fact I currently have it listed on Craigslist for free hoping someone takes it off my hands so I don't have to figure out how to dispose of it.

Wouldn't an old gas tank make for some good flotation if it were sealed and mounted under the deck??

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

FYI: Born in Pottsville, raised in Lancaster, now in Delaware OH

Father and wife from Pottsville......mom's entire side of family in lancaster. You friggin' coal crackers are everywhere :)