Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tarp it, Build a Shed, or Shrink wrap it?

As a note of caution, do NOT put it beside your cabin. Don't position it anywhere that a snow load from something else can fall on your boat. This includes large trees.

:eek: Doh -- thanks JM! I don't think I would even have considered that. Nice save!

kregars

Cadet

Im not currently in a heavy snow load area here in the MidAtlantic (though I used to live just north of Watertown NY). During my travels to the North Country, I took note of several shed structures that were A Frame style. When I got my big boat this year, I decided that I needed a substantial means of covering it on the cheap side.

I took 2x4's and used standard door hinges on the tops of 2 boards. I have 5 A frames in the boat and then I ran sch40 2in PVC along the tops. I lashed the PVC main support to the A Frames and then ran rope from the cleats, up and lashed around the Aframe and PVC structure down to the opposing cleat and drew it tight. This helps keep the tar snug and tied underneath. I know a picture is worth a 1000 words..so I'll take and post one tomorrow of both the completed project as well as the structures under the tarping.

As a note, for added protection I bought some cheap costco/BJ's wash cloths and placed them at the tops over the PVC and wood to ensure it wasnt eaten up....unfortunately, I failed to protect it from the bimini tie points and had to fix the tarp..then I placed washclothes over those as well and attached with painters tape...retied the tarp tight and so far so good.

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I bought one of the Can Tire portable garages. Mine is definitely not made of PVC and is actually better then the ones at Home Hardware or Princess Auto. Been snowing for a couple weeks here, no problems. Had high winds pretty much all summer but some 18" spikes for the bases has kept it held down just fine. I like the idea of the plywood under the tarp covering to stop it from sagging. I guess when we move I'll have some work to do.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have my portable garage at my house, with some 3 foot spikes holding it down.works well for me but i snoblow around it after every storm. i dont think i would go that route if i wasnt going to see it for a while.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

This carport has a metal roof, real easy to put on. the wood to build it was not that much, took a few days to build

06-10-08_1133-1.jpg

sebber83

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just tarped mine today, I will admit having the wakeboard tower on mine saves lot's of trouble. I creates a bog enough slope for snow and ice to slide off the tarp. As far as tarps go, my father in law had an extra one from his 36 foot rinker, was more than enough for my 19 foot doral and then some! But honnestly, I was also on the fence but when I heard local places here charged 500$ for indoor storing and 300$ for shrink wrap, tarping was the best choice for me, more money in the boating account for tower speakers come spring!

kregars

Cadet

This carport has a metal roof, real easy to put on. the wood to build it was not that much, took a few days to build

What's the snow load capability for that car port? Looks level with the ground and therefore I'd be concerned of an overnight heavy snow that would cause it to come down on the boat or *shudder* someone that happened to be under it should it loosen up and drop.

Having lived in NNY near Alexandria Bay, I know that they get snow (maybe not as much as they do from Watertown Center south through just north of Syracuse) but the times we did get hit with the odd persistent lake snow band we'd get a quick foot or 3. I seem to recall you all got a got hit pretty good last winter.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Some good ideas here. I too was thinking of using the seat pedestal holes too, but was thinking I had to get 2x2 or sand the wood into a rounder shape to fit. Never thought of the pipes at that moment (even though I had seen the other pvc pipe frames in previous posts..

Also never thought about trees - I have 3 big trees in my backyard, and planned to park between two - with the outboard dead centre so I can back in as far as possible. Both trees don't have leaves left, and don't really collect snow ... but a definite thought for future parkings... thanks..

I'm picking up my boat tomorrow from the mechanic ... once I get it back and parked I'll have a fresh look with the info I just got..

I am thinking ... use 2x4's and 2'2s in pedestal seat holes, make a frame in boat, and use a smaller tarp, and tie it down.... then probably the A-Frame over top of the structure with my large tarp to prevent the snow build up on the boat frmo melting and freezing...
I'll be sure to take pics if I come up with anything ingenius! :) Hope this thread helps some others..

erie_guy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't give up on the shrinkwrap solution. I use one on my 32' each season and do not have to brush off any snow. In addition, I usually get about 4 or five years out of each new shrinkwrap by carefully removing it and reinstalling it in the fall. I just reinstalled my shrink wrap for the fifth season this month and although it is not as tight as new it still sheds snow and keeps out the rain.

Secret is to allow about 3' of extra "belt line" cordage. Upon untieing and slacking this cord,the shrinkwrap can be streched and removed. Pull it up and off the stern pull it forward and off the bow. Make two or three tall vertical posts and tie them to the railings with fiberglass tape. I also add about 8 air vent to the cover to allow air flow through the cover. I am on my second winter shrinkwrap and have had the boat since 2000. I like to get 4" wide shrinkwrap tape to repair rips and tares and intall a zipper door for early spring and late fall repairs under the cover. Use of white shrinkwrap will keep colors correct under the cover. If you option for blue shrinkwrap, it will be difficult to work because of the strange colors. I store the old wrap over the summer in my garage attic along with the pole supports and fiberglass tapes.

What ever you decide, better hurry - snow is a comming.

erie_guy
Port Clinton, OH

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

What's the snow load capability for that car port? ....

Just found a sobering spec on snow load requirements for Ottawa, Ontario -- about my latitude but in admittedly a heavier snowbelt:

A flat roof 30 feet x 30 feet square must be designed to withstand...get this....

58,000 pounds of snow load

I was thining of something in the 10 x 20 neighbourhood like the one pictured above by coastal cruiser only supported on both sides by 4x4 posts tied diagonally top to bottom.

No idea if the ultimate load would be anywhere near the requirement, though. That's a scary amount of weight to think about.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Kregars
What's the snow load capability for that car port? Looks level with the ground and therefore I'd be concerned of an overnight heavy snow that would cause it to come down on the boat or *shudder* someone that happened to be under it should it loosen up and drop.

The carport measures 13'X21' What I did was replace the original one that had been standing for 53 years, I added an extra post for a total of 5
The roof has 1X4 strapping and is Lagged into the frame of the house.
I used joice hangers (the old one was nailed) last year we had record snowfall

I have jacked a 2 level house with 40 ton house jacks using a 4X4 post believe it or not, they did not break even with that much pressure!
Here is another photo of the structure supporting a 302
Had the weight of the engine calculated for load and added 4 extra 2X6 for a total of 5
WOW!!
my area the snow load is 45 really makes me wonder if its strong enough
Image010-1.jpg

kregars

Cadet

NICE...I guess with the picture of the boat under the car port gives the optical illusion that it's not as beefy as it really is...the pic you posted with the 302 hanging from the rafters is much more clear as to how beefy it really is.

Now I gotta figure out if this is something that I could do or if I should still move forward with building a large mouth garage that I can fit my boat into....I'd rather have it completely out of the elements but at the current time it's not possible as I am waiting on paperwork to come back from the county for permission to build onto my house....Permits are not required if I merely add a car port, but they do require it be done to current specs and do require it to be inspected (this applies only if it's not attached to the house). I am lucky as I don't have an easement between myself and the owner next door (all that's required is I get their permission to build all the way to the property line, and since I would be improving the drainage/runoff area to redirect to behind the house he's more than willing to allow me to do this).

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

We had over a meter of snow last year (3') talk about putting it to the test!

Kregars, I used lag bolts every 16'' to catch the wall studs.

had to add lag bolts to my deck in the backyard, the Previous home owner used screws if you can believe it.

One thing about a carport is it allows air to circulate and attaching it to the house adds stability.
a freestanding structure must be braced diagonally.

also was not happy with the strapping it's less money but 3/8 ply would be better adding diagonal stability although the roofing does the same thing.

Moody Blue

Captain

Just found a sobering spec on snow load requirements for Ottawa, Ontario -- about my latitude but in admittedly a heavier snowbelt:

A flat roof 30 feet x 30 feet square must be designed to withstand...get this....

When you work it out, that's only 64 Ib/sq ft. Using the guideline that wet/heavy snow can weight up to 20 Ib/cu ft (33% moisture content), then a 3 foot deep accumulation of heavy wet snow (snow pack is even heavier) would max out the load rating on that roof. Depending on where you live, that may or may not be a possibility. Makes you think huh?

old finn

Cadet

I lost 2 out of three 3 garage in a box covers last winter. The one that survived was sheltered on 3 sides by permanent garden sheds of trees. I live in the Bay of Quinte area and get very string west winds from the entire length of Lake Ontario. This year i'm going to build a 2x6 A -frame and put a tarp over it with full length boards on the ground down each side - no more bungie cords-screws and fender washers and concrete blocks. Also I put inflated lawn tractor inner tubes at the corners of the windshield.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I haven't updated this, and figured, why not post some photos...

I wanted to avoid the stress on the windshield .... and discovered an 8 foot piece of 2x3 rested on the cleats without touching the gunwales... so I build a single frame around from the stern of the boat, to just ahead of the windshield, Built this up enough to keep the windhield clear... with a centre beam from bow to stern. I was just gonna put some trusses in so the tarp wouldn't sag.... but I had some plywood, and waferboard, and decided to make a roof.. lol It wasn't pretty... but it's solid, and then threw the tarp on after to secure it.

i bought some bricks and put under the back of the trailer... with some 2x4's on top... then jacked the tongue upuntil everythign was suspended.... and lowered the tongue onto a 3rd brick. the wheels spin freely.

the back end is still open, I have about 10 feet of tarp overhanging, so I've been able to open it and let the carpet dry, I have a fan in it to circulate the air... hoping to get it all dry as a bone by next week, then just tie it down..

Anyway - attached some photos if anybody is curious.. I'm gonna rethink this for nxt year... the PVC pipes look interesting to try...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

Nice work. I think the solid roof is a great way to go.

oceansbreeze

Petty Officer 1st Class

thanks... I really like I can climb in it and still do some stuff. Still trying to get the bilge dry... and had to remove the battery and stuff... heck it's got more room than with the standard convertible top! lol I should leave it on the boat next summer, call it a camper top!

Jeep Man

Commander

Looks good! If you want to stop by my place south of Perry Sound, and finish up mine, I won't have to do it next weekend. A helpful hint from my first attempt last year, I'm adding some foam insulation (pipe type) on the corners to save the tarp. It moves a bit in the wind.

Impactg

Cadet

I had a 26' cruiser that would fit under the shed roof of the storage facility where I store it. I recently upgraded to a 32' footer at the end of this season and was up against what I was going to do for storage. I wanted to keep it at the facility I'd used for the last 7 years because it was four miles from the lake where I boat and... well... the owner's a buddy of mine and agreed to keep it on his yard trailer at no additional cost. :D

So my options were to store it indoors for 700.00 or in his yard for under 200.00. This was my solution:

cover1.jpg

cover3.jpg

cover4.jpg

cover5.jpg

cover7.jpg

The PVC structure is 4" drain and comes apart in 4 sections, all of which are easilly transported in the bed of a pickup... and easily stored... and should last forever. The webbing is 1/4" high strength nylon cord and can be replaced inexpensively every year. All in all, I have under 200.00 into it, including the tarp. Another friend's boat is stored right next to mine and he spent about 2500.00 on a custom canvas cover. I'm giving it 5-7 years.

Guess we'll see in the spring if it holds up. I know my buddy at the boat yard will call if there's a problem... so far, so good. He has a camera right on them. I have my finger's crossed.