76 Glasstron Tri Hull Resto Project

BobsGlasstream

Commander
Re: 76 Glasstron Tri Hull Resto Project

santo101979,
Sounds like you are off to a great start.
That a pretty big list too.
As for those front cleats, The only way to get them off my boat was to pull the cap.
Keep us posted.
Good luck
Bob

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like you've got your work cut out for you. Post some new pics when you get a chance.

Also.... how's Captain Pedro doing? Did he survive the winter OK in the cold garage?

tinkeringwackyone

Chief Petty Officer

Just like the rest of us you have your hands full, keep plugging away and you'll ultimately make your goal. Great project

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So we've got a lot of work done in the past few days. Finally got everything off the boat. Those rails and cleats that were giving me hell finally got pulled off. I finally got down to just drilling them out, I drilled down to the bottom of the head of the screw with a 1/8" bit then went back with a 1/4" bit. The 1/4" bit bit in and popped the heads right off, it wasn't pretty but it worked really well.

Once all the of the rails, cleats, hardware, rivets, snaps, and every everything was removed I towed her down to Ducky's Car wash. I was a little worried about washing it at the car wash, thinking people would be backing up behind me complaining about using a bucket and brushes, etc... So we picked a colder rainy day and had the place pretty much to our selves. Knocked most of the crud off and really got a good picture of the condition of the gelcoat. Wow, scratches, dings, and all.

So now on to fairing, filling, sanding.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Giving Mr. Bill a bath

IMG_2704.JPG

redfury

Commander

that link works just fine. If you want to put a specific picture in your post, you can open up the picture in picasaweb, then right click it and see the properties of the picture, then highlight the web address and post that link into the tags so we don't have to hunt it down in the multitude of photos you are sure to get.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

that link works just fine. If you want to put a specific picture in your post, you can open up the picture in picasaweb, then right click it and see the properties of the picture, then highlight the web address and post that link into the tags so we don't have to hunt it down in the multitude of photos you are sure to get.
Thanks for the tip, I'm learning something new everyday!

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Before
Las%20Vegas%20Oct%202009%20part%201%20022.jpg

After
IMG_2692.JPG

Before
Las%20Vegas%20Oct%202009%20part%201%20046.jpg

After
IMG_2696.JPG

Before
IMG_2689.JPG

After
IMG_1547.JPG

Just Kidding!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I fixed all your pics.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks so much for the help! Any tips on what I couldve/shouldve done to make these pics or the postings work out better?

Thanks Again!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I would say just edit the post that has the picture and look at how the code looks and try to duplicate that in the future.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I found the thread Awakening a sleeping outboard by BoatBuoy (Required reading for anyone restoring an outboard)

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

and my Factory Service and Parts manual showed up from Mercury Marine, top notch customer service at Merc! I had called on Monday and spoke with a lady in publishing, she took my info, tracked down the books and had them shipped and I received them Friday! I already have the SELOC manual and the remaining 2 Clymer manuals should arrive soon. So I made a stop by Harbor Freight Friday night and purchased various items then headed over to West Marine (it's a dangerous commute home for me, Harbor Freight, West Marine, Lowes, and all the man stores you could think of between work and home. I ended up spending too long in Harbor Freight and by the time I got to West Marine they were closed, 6 O'clock PM closing!? I wanted to buy the lower unit pump and quicksilver lube oil but that'll have to wait till Monday. I also want to get to an auto parts store to pick up some Sea Foam, Deep Creep, Carb cleaner, etc? So I spent the weekend reading up on the manuals, I have to say that I feel a bit overwhelmed. I?ve got pretty fair mechanical skills but I reading all those manuals just blew my mind a bit. I'm looking all over for the rebuilding kits for the carbs, fuel pump, and water pump but a lot of what I find doesn?t specifically say it?s for the 1974 Merc 850 and a lot of the Factory Part numbers I have from my factory parts book don?t match, so I'm confused for now. So I figure the best way to eat this elephant is one bite at a time. Wish me luck and feel free to give any advice.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So I?ve also been doing a lot of research on painting or trying to restore gel coat. I still have not decided but as I?m not really fond of the colors, it?s filled with scratches, dings, dents, etc... And I've seen some really good results on here I am leaning towards painting. I saw a really good comparison test on the roll on tip off of 3 separate paints which was helpful.
Here is the comparison link.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.co...Interlux+and+Epifanes+One-Part+Topside+Paints
This makes me lean towards the Epifanes product but it?s up for discussion and that all can be decided later.
So far my Marine Tex 3/4lb (a bit smaller than I thought it would be) kit arrived this week along with some various dremel cutting tool bits. I plan on fixing the keel gouge, major gel coat gouge, and fabbing out a replacement for the chuck of missing cavitations plate with the Marine Tex.
For the dents, dings, scratches I?m leaning toward the 3M Marine Premium Filler
So I?ve got a lot of things to do, a lot of work ahead of me, and plenty of learning to do.

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

So this weekend was pretty much a bust. First day of spring, huh...yeah right. It was a wet snowy blizzard in the 30's, cold and crappy out so I didn?t make it out to the boatpartment this weekend. Funny thing is that I almost feel guilty, like I?m neglecting her or something, weird. But I did do a ton of research on all kinds of things. I wish I could win some kind of shopping spree from iBoats or Jamestown or hit that Mega Million lotto, and then I?d be all set! LOL

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Doing more research on if it is possible to paint over the gel coat or do you have to knock it all down to fiberglass or what can you can?t you do and I found this. This may be helpful to guys like me.

Credit where credit is due. This was written by Bob A. Todd

http://www.cncphotoalbum.com/doityourself/paintboat/paint.htm

One thing to keep in mind during this process is that the finished project will only look as good as the prep work that went into it.

1. Wipe the surface to be painted with acetone. This will dissolve any oils, grease, wax, and surface debris. If you skip this step and just begin sanding you will create scratches in which these contaminants will be forced into making them more difficult to remove later.

2. Wash the boat thoroughly with a mild detergent and rinse completely with clear water.

3. It is very important to cover ALL gel coat areas that you don't want painted. If you don't do this, the paint dust generated by sanding will be absorbed into the gel coat and cannot be removed.
4. Using a 5" or 6" DA (dual-action) sander (dual action means it vibrates AND rotates at the same time) begin at either end with 220 grit paper. I know this sounds pretty coarse, but with a DA it actually comes out extremely fine.

5. Take your time! This is not a job to rush and there are no shortcuts. Make certain that you feather out any scratches even if you have to go down to the original gel coat. If you are not sanding through a layer of paint and are painting over gel coat do not go deeper into the gel coat than necessary. If you find that you sanded down into the matting apply gel coat to the area after you have finished sanding with the 220 and redo the area.

6. When you are finished sanding with the 220, go over the boat with a fine toothed comb and a piece of chalk circling areas where there are still scratches and chips.

7. Fill the scratches and chips with crack filler, aka body putty, aka glazing compound, (available at all auto body and automotive parts stores) and, using a plastic bodywork spatula, lay the filler in the scratch, chip, or depression and allow to set for 3 hours.
NOTE: Wipe the scratch, crack, etc... with acetone before you apply the crack filler. Crack filler works wonders on stress cracks as well.

8. Return to these areas and DA them with the 220 grit until the surface is even and the edges are feathered.

9. Wash the boat the same way you did in step #2.

10. Begin hand sanding the hull with 320 grit. This will diminish the swirl or "jitterbug" marks left behind by the DA and give you your final surface.

11. When completed, wash again as before.
The hull is now ready for a coat of paint. Simply wash the hull down with acetone on a lint-free rag, wipe it down with a tack rag, and mask the areas you do not want painted.

Pick a nice warm (above 65F) calm day, mix your paint per mfg.?s instruction, load your gun and shoot. I recommend DuPont Imron. It is a good, durable paint that will last about 12 years or more with proper care. For a gun, I prefer a good grade HVLP (High Volume Low Pressure) type. With a regular gun you lose approximately 65 ? 70% of the paint in overspray. With an HVLP gun you only lose about 25 ? 30% depending upon the weather conditions and the cleanliness of the gun. I send mine out to be optimized prior to shooting. It?s well worth the $50.00 when you see your finished project.
If you have runs or dull sections on you hull after you spray, you can polish these out by using 2,000 grit wet sandpaper. Sand while running a garden hose over the area. Buff afterwards with MeGuier's #20.
A word about personal protective equipment: I personally know of one individual that felt he didn?t need a cartridge respirator because he was shooting outdoors. He shot his boat with Imron and died that night of respiratory failure. The vapors from these materials are extremely toxic at almost all levels. Also, don?t be penny wise and pound foolish? don?t trust your priceless life with a $20.00 respirator. (CAUTION: Most isocyanurate based paints (urethanes) contain TDI iso that cannot be filtered with cartridge type respirators. A breathing air supply system or free air pump is the only safe way of working with many of these paints.)

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Got some more boat time this Saturday. Been working on the engine lately so I started a thread in the engines forums.

Right now I am cleaning and scrubbing the boat in prep for the fairing/filling/sanding process. From what I've read its absolutely imperative that all the dirt/grime/wax/oils/grease/etc.... all be cleaned off prior to doing any fairing or sanding so thats what we are up to.

Take a look at the Engine forums to see what the outboard is going through

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=381922

As always, let me know what ya guys think

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im trying to figure out how to repair the missing section of my anti-ventilation plate. I was thinking of actually forming a sort of rebar sections putting pieces of stiff wire into a frame work using JB weld then filling in that with Marine Tex. After that Im going to clean it up and scuff sand with the maroon scotch brite pads, prime it and paint it using spray industrial enamel paint.

Any thoughts?

woosterken

Lieutenant

sounds like that would be more bother than takeing it to a shop and have a piece welded in the right way,and be done with it

woosterken