Bilge pump inaccessable

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice
Guys,

Just looking over every nook and cranny of the new Starcraft 1800 I/O and it dawned on me that I cannot see my bilge pump. It appears its buried under the 4.3 MPI mercruiser. NO WAY I CAN SEE TO GET TO IT. I can hear it working thank god but I dread the day I ever have to get to it.

Is this typical in some of these boats? Would this require the outdrive to be removed? Certainly not the engine???? Right???? There is no way to get to the sides of the engine due to the fiberglass design of the boat.

I'm guessing if the bilge pump went out I would probably abandon the original and simply install a new one in the bilge forward of the engine.

Thoughts?

Craig

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Bilge pump inaccessable

Is this typical in some of these boats?

Ayuh,... It's typical of all boats, that whatever you want to Fix, can't be reached...

themaniam1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yep. Most of the time when the original bulge goes out you just put another one in. It is very hard and awkward to get to the bilge when it is centered under the engine.

windsors03cobra

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea I have seen some really ugly tight motor boxes that make me not to even want to own that boat.
The bilge pump on my 33 year old boat is small, original and still works, I think I'm going to add a good second bilge pump before the season starts just in case I end up with a gusher on my hands. :rolleyes:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

of course if you have something to lift it from it is a pretty simple job to pull an i/o engine unless the hull design requires removing lots of stuff to get to the engine..... I can pull one in under 20 minutes and replace in 30

Craigmri

Seaman Apprentice

OK Kev, I'm hiring you to replace my bilge pump if/when it goes out.

Craig

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I get that alot ...... dangit...... LOL

EDIT...... BTW I didn't mean to downplay your issue..... I know it can be a pain to work on the simplest of things sometimes when they are not very user friendly

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I had one boat where the pump was 100% impossible to get out, in fact you couldn't even see it, feel only. It was sandwiched between the outer hull and the sole, and there obviously installed before the sole was laid in place.

mike343

Petty Officer 1st Class

The important thing would be access to the hose so it could be connected to a new pump. Otherwise, you'd have to put a new hole in the hull.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I replaced mine and installed it on the end of a metal rod about 3' long. That way I could bend it up around the engine and attach the other end up higher in the engine compartment. Now, to clean out the screen or replace it or anything I just remove 1 bolt and pull the rod up, and the pump comes up with it. pretty handy actually. There was no way my big ol head and arms were gonna fit all the way down there lol.

JimMH

Petty Officer 1st Class

I had to stand on my head to get to the one in my last boat and then it was all by feel, couldn't see it at all. Every time I worked on it I would be bleeding from either my hands or my arm from reaching around some part of the motor. You just do what you have to do.

seabob4

Lieutenant Commander

I'm guessing if the bilge pump went out I would probably abandon the original and simply install a new one in the bilge forward of the engine.

DING! DING! DING! We have a winner!

And I would do it now. If a 1500GPH will fit in front of the motor, go with that. Remember the forward end of the engine compartment is higher than where the present pump lives, so you want a little extra oomph...