Power trim problem on Mariner 135HP

Hi folks,

Greetings from the far north of Scotland. I only just found this site and there seems to be a lot of useful stuff.

I have a Mariner 135HP on a RIB (built 1989), which has been lying unused outside for several tears. I decided that this was a waste and I'm in the process of refurbishing the boat and engine. The power tilt worked OK when I put in a battery, but it stops with a clunk when it reaches the two smaller trim pistons. The motor keeps running, but there is no further movement. Has anyone come across this problem and if so, how was it solved? I don't have a manual for the engine at the moment, but one has been ordered.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Power trim problem on Mariner 135HP

OK. after a couple people asking for a serial number on a couple of differant threads I won't waste my time---There are two differant hyd. systems on the early 135s so it makes it alot easier for us to explain
Chances are it's one of three posablitys and all are pressure related
1 The pump motor is shot--it will slow down to nothing
2 A pressure relief ball on the tilt cyl is stuck
3 The seal ring on the tilt cyl is leaking

Laddies said:
OK. after a couple people asking for a serial number on a couple of differant threads I won't waste my time---There are two differant hyd. systems on the early 135s so it makes it alot easier for us to explain
Chances are it's one of three posablitys and all are pressure related
1 The pump motor is shot--it will slow down to nothing
2 A pressure relief ball on the tilt cyl is stuck
3 The seal ring on the tilt cyl is leaking

The motor sounds pretty lively and there is no sign of external leakage of fluid, so I'm getting the feeling that something internal is stuck, maybe due to sitting for a while. Would opening the manual release to allow the engine to drop completely exercise the valves in the trim piston section?

I can't do too much without the manual, but when I get it and have got to the bottom of the problem, I'll post a note of what happened to help any fellow sufferers. Thanks to those who have replied - it's helping to focus my mind.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It sure wouldn't hurt to open the manual release and try it, you might also have someone run the trim button down and you stand on the drive and bounce it a bit. If it is just stuck from sitting the extra weight sometimes works.

Bouncing on the drive sounds like a good idea. I've got a heavy friend who can help while I press the button.

Maximum points to Don S!!! My heavy friend bounced on the leg of the engine and the trim pistons are now running freely. Sometimes only the right amount of brute force will do - Thanks!!!