loose outdrive..

vithang

Cadet
Hi,
I have 85 sunbird with omc i/o motor. I took it out 2 weeks ago everything runs good but it sways back and forth. It goes right I adjusted then it goes left and so on. I look back and the water trail show that it was zig zaging.
When I came home, I found that the out drive is abit loose. I can shake it and it moves right and left with out moving the steering. Could that be the problem? and if so, how can I tighten it?
vithang:confused:

freeone

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: loose outdrive..

at what speed were you zig zaging? how much play before the steering wheel moves?

havasuboatman

Ensign

You most likely have a warn pivot pin, gimble ring and till arm.
You will have to rmove the drive, engine, and transom assy so that you can dismantle the transom assy and mantle it with new parts. :)

Dshow

Petty Officer 1st Class

If it's near idle speed, every boat I've been in had that issue. If you don't touch the steering wheel, will it go back and forth on it's own?

havasuboatman

Ensign

There is basically four things that cause that:
Bow heavy loading
Very short keel (short boat)
Worn steering components
A transom assy that is not square to the beam of a boat

ricovw

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I understand what you are saying havusaboat. At first i thought it was crazy, but i read the link. 'Hull wonder', happens to me too. Doesnt mean the steering components are loose, it's just the hull not tracking cause you are going so slow.

vithang

Cadet

Thanks guys for all the replies.
I was going about 5 mph. but if I take it up abit faster say faster than 10mph it stops.
No, if i dont touch the steering than it will keep going in circle.
How much play before the steering move?...... I would say about 2-3 degrees

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

I was going about 5 mph. but if I take it up abit faster say faster than 10mph it stops.
did you just get the boat and have limited experience driving single engine i/o's?

if so what you are experiencing is normal

you'll learn to compensate with experience.

ErieRon

Chief Petty Officer

Well now, that's all clear as mud, eh :eek:

I don't know anything about OMC, but Merc. has a procedure for checking and adjusting steering play. Doesn't OMC ???

If there is one, maybe someone will post it...I would start there just to rule out a simple adjustment.

And, the wander discussed here is a real condition on some boats...mine for one.

WIMUSKY

Staff member

This scenario sounds normal. Power steering keeps it from wondering like it does without it. At slow speeds without power steering you need to constantly(or almost) move the wheel to keep it running straight. You need to anticipate the movement of the boat and compensate ahead of time. Just takes practice....