18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I will probably back the nuts off and back the motor off a bit once the 5200 is dry and reseal to make sure.

Can you do one bolt at a time? Maybe I'm not understanding what the process is, but thought I'd just throw that out there. :)

Andy in NY

Commander

Well the motor is on the boat. Darn near killed me but it's one. Had it one and tightened and then tried to connect the steering and there wasn't room enough to insert the steering tube. (The Jupiter didn't have that sloped splashwell so I didn't think to check). So I had to take it back off again and insert the tube and remount it. All this by myself crammed into that cubby of my garage where the motor was hanging. What a b!tch. Bad news, my steering cable is a foot too short. It still works fine but there isn't enough slack to tuck it up out of the away along the gunnel. So that's definitely a bummer. I measured how they tell you to measure and I really didn't want any extra as that can be also be a pain. I'm going to leave it for a while and eventually buy a new one and swap it out. Since the motor will have to be taken off again, I'm not too enthusiastic about that prospect. Could be worse. It could have been too short to work. No pics tonight because I am beat. I'll take some tomorrow as I tidy up the carnage in my garage. Little tip for everyone, don't get antsy and decide to install your motor the same night as you 5200 your motor bolts in place. You'll just get 5200 all over yourself and everything and with the bolts moving in and out you have no idea if you got a decent seal. I will probably back the nuts off and back the motor off a bit once the 5200 is dry and reseal to make sure.

my control cables are about a foot too short... honestly it bothers me more than anyone else. actually i dont think anyone else ever noticed! you can see them in this pic running along the outside of the side panel and cutting the corner across the back...

IMG00319.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Don't forget us pic heathens!! Gotta see that beauty with the motor on!!! ;)

You clearly have not seen the ugliness that is my outboard. Looks even worse on the nice shiny boat. However I figured it would be a heck of a jinx to paint it before getting it running properly.

Andy in NY

Commander

You clearly have not seen the ugliness that is my outboard. Looks even worse on the nice shiny boat. However I figured it would be a heck of a jinx to paint it before getting it running properly.

ya but we still want pics, ugly or not!!!

bananaboater

Ensign

Re the ugly OB. I would like to see the before and after. Just love seeing the transformation.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

glad you are makin progress bud. i was gonna take a cycle ride today and head over your way to see if you were out in the garage

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Not much real interesting going on and I have been very lax with the pictures. I got the fuel tank all plumbed up (that was a pain, that fill tubing is so NOT flexible) and I have the basic wiring just about complete (lights, horn, bilge pump). Tonight I'm going to tear a wheel and hub apart from the trailer to see if I can figure out what I need to order as far as new pre-loaded hubs go.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Come on man, you know the rules! We can't hang out in your garage staring at your rig so you have to bring it to us!

I'd love to see your tank plumbing and wiring job man!

Cheers!

Andy in NY

Commander

Come on man, you know the rules! We can't hang out in your garage staring at your rig so you have to bring it to us!

I'd love to see your tank plumbing and wiring job man!

Cheers!

actually jeremy i would like to see the fuel tank plumbing too as i am about to rig up that monster 30 gal tank i got...

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

you make a good point....but...
ya but we still want pics, ugly or not!!!
yup, what He said :D
Re the ugly OB. I would like to see the before and after. Just love seeing the transformation.

That too!!!!! :D

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

EZ,

I hear you about the PITA process of putting the outboard back on, I hung mine on my newly installed transom this weekend and did the EXACT same thing. By the time I just finished 5200ing my mounting bolts I remembered I couldn't get the steering tube out when I was trying to take my motor off while it was still on the transom. CRAP.....

I fought for about an hour with it, and FINALLY got the tube back in. Sorry to hear about yours being short.

Not to bring this back up again in your thread, but I left my transom plate off as well when I put my motor back on. When I took my boat out on sunday after getting everything back together my motor was ventilating bad. When I got it back on the trailer I realized that my anti-cavitation plate was about 1 inch higher than it was before I took my transom all apart. It was really confusing to me because the only difference is the missing 1/2 wooden part. After thinking about it, I guess my motor is 1/2 closer to my transom, which would raise the anti-cavitation plate, in relation to the bottom of the boat.

I put the 1 more slot closer to the transom, and it fixed the ventilating issue.

Did you notice anything like that when you removed it from your previous starcraft?

Andy in NY

Commander

EZ,

I hear you about the PITA process of putting the outboard back on, I hung mine on my newly installed transom this weekend and did the EXACT same thing. By the time I just finished 5200ing my mounting bolts I remembered I couldn't get the steering tube out when I was trying to take my motor off while it was still on the transom. CRAP.....

I fought for about an hour with it, and FINALLY got the tube back in. Sorry to hear about yours being short.

Not to bring this back up again in your thread, but I left my transom plate off as well when I put my motor back on. When I took my boat out on sunday after getting everything back together my motor was ventilating bad. When I got it back on the trailer I realized that my anti-cavitation plate was about 1 inch higher than it was before I took my transom all apart. It was really confusing to me because the only difference is the missing 1/2 wooden part. After thinking about it, I guess my motor is 1/2 closer to my transom, which would raise the anti-cavitation plate, in relation to the bottom of the boat.

I put the 1 more slot closer to the transom, and it fixed the ventilating issue.

Did you notice anything like that when you removed it from your previous starcraft?

that doesnt make sense though... eliminating the plate only moves it horizontal, not vertical... and i cant imagine that 1/2 inch would make the cav plate 1 in higher than origional... sounds like something else is the culprit.

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I know, it doesn't really make sense, but from what I can tell that is the only thing that really changed. The motor went back into the exact same holes.

Maybe the transom was bending or something due to it being rotted.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

He's right. The more you move a motor back the higher you can raise it on the transom. Fortunately, I only have a piece of diamond plate there so not much thickness was lost. Sorry you had the same pain with the steering tube I did tlynch.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

How's that saying go?.....I find your lack of photo's... something something...;):p:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Ok here's the pics.

LED bow light installed and wired
DSCF2628.jpg

LED stern light installed and wired. It's awfully tall but I don't think that's a bad thing
DSCF2630.jpg

Horn installed wired
DSCF2629.jpg

My mind blowingly awesome switch panel (not). I reused two pull switches that came with the boat and one was bad. So I had to pull them back out. I'll get another one this week and reinstall.
DSCF2631.jpg

Battery tray and bilge pump installed
DSCF2634.jpg

Passenger dash panel glued in place. The 5200 is holding the StarBoard just fine for now. Once I add the flush mount tackle tray thingie it will be physically fastened as well
DSCF2632.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

My too short steering cable situation. Not too terrible and the seat will cover it. I will replace with a longer cable at some point
DSCF2633.jpg

Steering cable boot
DSCF2636.jpg

Fuel tank hold downs. Very solid
DSCF2639.jpg

Fuel tank plumbing
DSCF2638.jpg

Ugly outboard
DSCF2640.jpg

DSCF2637.jpg

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Cleats installed
DSCF2635.jpg

This is what I did tonight. Took apart a hub. Of course this would be a non-shot hub. It didn't rumble at all. Oh well, they're both getting replaced. I was hoping to find some numbers or something on here that would tell me what I need to order for pre-loaded hubs. Anyone know how I can tell? I didn't thoroughly clean the hub so there could be some numbers somewhere.
DSCF2641.jpg

tlynch99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Looks good, I am in a similar situation, where my outboard is now the eyesoar of my boat... someone actually said to me on the lake the other day "wow your boat looks great really classic, but that motor..."

What are you plans for the motor? I have been contemplating how to refinish / repaint / decal it.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Status
Not open for further replies.