18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

That looks great EZ, what I wouldn't give for nice crisp lines like that, instead of this wadded up tinfoil I have as a splash-well.

tallcanadian

Captain

One more step closer. That white looks great. You will have to put your sunglasses on to look at it.

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow, looks great! I'm also jealous of those nice, clean lines! I noticed in the photos it doesn't look like you have a drain hole... Are you going to put one in or are you just gonna embrace the fact that there will always be a little water at the bottom of your splashwell? The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about not putting one in mine...

Huron Angler

Admiral

The reason I ask is that I'm thinking about not putting one in mine...

I'd keep the drains if I were you. Water could eventually leak thru into your battery storage area underneath and cause issues. Besides...how is the splashwell supposed to do it's job with no drains?

If you aren't putting in drains you might as well cut out the entire splashwell, but don't slow down quickly or run in a following sea:eek:

SBTOM

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ohh yeah, now I can see them! I guess they were hiding in plain sight

Huron Angler, I don't want to hijack EZ's thread, but the way my splashwell is layed out, there wouldn't really be any way for water to drip down because its a one piece glass layup. The maximum amount of water that could ever get trapped would be maybe a gallon and I could just drain it when I pull the boat out of the water. I don't want to have to put any unnecessary holes in the transom. Guess I'll just have to reinstall the drain tubes. Ohhh well!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't want to have to put any unnecessary holes in the transom. Guess I'll just have to reinstall the drain tubes. Ohhh well!

Then just do one. You can 5200 the heck out of it and it's not likely to leak and ruin your transom.

ts

Petty Officer 1st Class

That looks beautiful ez. You're rolling it on, right? Not spraying?

Do you have any close ups? I'm assuming it leveled out real nice after you tipped it? :)

...and sorry to ask for so many details, but what brand/size/type of roller and brush are you using?

Oh, and are you planning on capping your transom with anything, or just paint?

:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I am rolling. 4" foam roller. You can use any old brush, it will level fine. My transom cap is intact and in great shape. I just painted the top of it for the heck of it. I can take some close ups after I apply the second coat.

coolbikeguy

Chief Petty Officer

lookin great bro ..... splash date is when ?????? LOL

douglas1978

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice Job Ez i do have a couple of questions,what did you use for the drains in the splash well ? i destroyed the old tubes in the removal process. I am up to my transom and need advice on holes that need to be filled i have been using jb weld as a filler and was wondering if to put the transom in then fill in the old motor mount holes or fill it with the transom out as they are almost 3/4 of inch big and if i put a thin back plate on them my transom will rip them off when i put it in it is a really tight fit i evan sanded it alot before sealing it still tight but i had to use a cherry picker and a hammer to get the old one out if i did n't beat on the transom it would lift the whole boat up trailer and all. any advice would be helpful and sorry for hijacking your thread

Triton II

Commander

Hey Ez, looking very cool! Keep up the good work and those pix coming.

Douglas - Don't use a backing plate behind the transom holes to be filled as it'll snag the new transom on its way back in. Ez and his 'cult' of fellow SC restorers ( I wonder how many of them actually do any boating rather than restoring! [Just kidding!] ) will elaborate on how the fill the holes as my big tinny has an all-aluminium transom so I'm not sure of the best method for ply reinforced alloy transoms...

TII

jspano

Senior Chief Petty Officer

EZ
as usual that paint looks great!!!!

question what size drains in the splashwell?

need opinion i put a new skin on the outside of my transom. iwas going to drill new holes using the lod ones from the inside, easy way, but was wondering if i should wait to install the splash to be sure they all line up?

Andy in NY

Commander

so do you have an eta on this project yet Jeremy?

Huron Angler

Admiral

I wonder how many of them actually do any boating rather than restoring!

LOL That's why I have my littl 12' tinny:)

I think EZ finished the boat and is out tearing around right now.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.