18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 18' Starcraft SuperSport restoration

I used 6 sheets of 1" @ $8.75 a sheet and 1 2" sheet at $14.50. about $70 bux.
I think the noodles will pack tighter in the nooks, 70 noodles at 2.50- $175

Unless ya wait and get em for a buck..i couldn't wait.

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

Tell ya what...

With all these Starcraft wierdos rebuilding these old tin cans around here I am thinking some stock in pool noodles should be part of any wise investors portfolio, eh!

Cheers!

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner

so we are weirdoes now????!!!:eek:

Just being sarcastic man...

I am right there too, matter of fact I'll be up to my eyeballs in noodles for my 22 footer! There won't be a dollar store noodle within a 100 miles of my house when it comes time!

Cheers!:D

fshngho

Lieutenant

so we are weirdoes now????!!!:eek:

I always have been:D No worries, the truth will be for all to see at Tinstock! Hey EZ, do us a favor and get a picture of the UPS man delivering those 200 noodles, I just gotta see his face:eek: And I have to ask, how did you scifer
(estimate) how much you would need?
And a good bilge pump should be on all boats, you are a smart man.:rolleyes:
Dale

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

The noodles came already! Next day service. Pretty sweet. I really just guesstimated how many I'd need. I had 2 noodles at the house and I just kinda layed them inside and outside of the stringers and eyeballed how many more of them it looked like it would take to fill the area. It appeared that I could get about 30 outside the stringers and maybe as much as 50 inside. We shall see. I ordered 3 cases of 24 noodles to start. The new noodles appear to be a little thinner than the 2 I had already.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

EZ..make sure you make a hatch so we can access a few noodles to float around Lake Anna;)

bananaboater

Ensign

The noodles came already! Next day service. Pretty sweet. I really just guesstimated how many I'd need. I had 2 noodles at the house and I just kinda layed them inside and outside of the stringers and eyeballed how many more of them it looked like it would take to fill the area. It appeared that I could get about 30 outside the stringers and maybe as much as 50 inside. We shall see. I ordered 3 cases of 24 noodles to start. The new noodles appear to be a little thinner than the 2 I had already.

Thinner is better, more will fit in.

Albert

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Man I feel like a troll looking for a fight, what with all my questioning of you guys and your choice of materials. Sorry don't mean to come off that way if I do...

Still would like to know why the noodle thing seems to be the current rage, is it more bouyant per sq.inch than the foam sheets? As to fitting, time well spent spends well... I can't get my head around how a roundish tube-like material will fill better.
I appreciate once again any enlightenment you guys could offer!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

It's not the rage. It's just me and perhaps jspano is still considering it. I just like that I won't have to cut and fit all those sheets which can be messy to cut. I thought there might be a possibility of them rattling around a bit under the deck. They should drain a bit better and not stay wet as long. Noodles are a little more expensive unless you can buy them little by little at dollar stores in-season. Some people in the south have mentioned that their local Lowes/HD's don't carry the board foam so noodles may be a decent alternative for them.

HopeSheFloats

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks EZ, I'm just at that stage of info overload and trying to weasel my way clear...always afraid I might of missed something lol

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

It's not the rage. It's just me and perhaps jspano is still considering it. I just like that I won't have to cut and fit all those sheets which can be messy to cut. I thought there might be a possibility of them rattling around a bit under the deck. They should drain a bit better and not stay wet as long. Noodles are a little more expensive unless you can buy them little by little at dollar stores in-season. Some people in the south have mentioned that their local Lowes/HD's don't carry the board foam so noodles may be a decent alternative for them.

That was one of my worries, having the sheet foam rattling around. it really sucked for me putting it in..my LEAST favorite part of my resto. I spent alot of time shimming up the sheets and being sure that the foam was a hair above the stringers so I could compress just the slightess to eliminate rattlin...I hate any noise chatter while underway.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I agree. I cut the floor boards for the Jupiter a little too flush to the sides of the boat and squeaking while underway was killer. You know you're going to be mad-jealous of my brightly colored, easily installed, quiet pool noodles :p

Huron Angler

Admiral

I spent alot of time shimming up the sheets and being sure that the foam was a hair above the stringers so I could compress just the slightess to eliminate rattlin...I hate any noise chatter while underway.

That is probably my single biggest concern other than making sure my Merc is going to be a good running OB. The noodles may be better for that as well as the drainage in my opinion. Yes...I'm drinking the noodle kool-aid too:D

If I do opt for foam sheets(due to cost) I will do exactly as Pauly says, make sure they are compressed by the deck. I would even say they should protrude by 1/2" or more.

PaulyV

Chief Petty Officer

I agree. I cut the floor boards for the Jupiter a little too flush to the sides of the boat and squeaking while underway was killer. You know you're going to be mad-jealous of my brightly colored, easily installed, quiet pool noodles :p

You know I am jealous that you wont have pink styrofoam all over the garage, shoes, inside shirt, and flippin out that some nuggets may get trapped in the drain channel (?:confused:?) thingy that you just cleaned with a ginsu knife and removed 2 yards of mulch.

There I got it all out:redface:

Awesome boat!!!!!!!! bet you can't wait to get her out. lol!!!!!!!!!!;););););)

North Beach

Commander

OK let's get movin E! We need more pics!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.