Gas not mixed.

Cheatham

Recruit
I took my boat to the shop had every thing gone thru. I just bought the boat it had been sitting for a couple years. So I put it in the water for the first time to day. The shop told me they put 20 dollars in gas in it. So I didn't put any gas in it. I wasn't going far. So I was runing about half speed for about 15 mins and the motor sound like it locked up. I could not turn it by hand. So I checked the fuel filter and it is striat gas no oil. The shop didn't mix the gas. I never put any gas in it. Now I wish I had I would of mixed it. Some oil has to be better then no oil. The motor is a 86 johnson 110 V4. I can turn it over by hand now that it is cool off. So what am I looking at to have that fix? What goings when ran with no oil? Thanks for any info.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Gas not mixed.

If it did sieze from lack of oil, that is very bad news. Probably wrecked the pistons. That means a total powerhead rebuild.

Siezing from overheating isn't much better.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

At my house if it's in a boat tank, then it's mixed. That way there are never any questions. That's horrible that a shop would have put non-mixed gas in. I would have assumed it was mixed as well.

Cheatham

Recruit

Not sure what the shop is going to say? I for sure they would have mix the gas.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i think this is the second dealer negligence post today. they put gas in it to run it, they worked on it, and new it was a premix motor. consult an attorney.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

VRO (oil injection) came out in 1984. All 1986 110s had it. Are you sure it's a 1986? Does it still have VRO or did somebody eliminate it? Are the letters VRO on the hood?

You might be a victim of somebody's dumbing-down of what once was an oil injected motor. Early VROs had problems and many people have taken that feature out for fear of a failure. They always get sold sooner or later and sooner or later somebody that thinks it's still injected puts straight gas into the tank. Probably the Most Important Step of such conversions is Never done. To mark the boat plainly that it is No Longer VRO.

That doesn't necessarily mean that you are SOL here. Any marine repair facility is responsible for due dilligence and is reasonably expected to know that a 2-stroke needs oil. But if VRO is on the hood and there is no other marking indicating that gas must be mixed with oil, some high school kid pumping gas is not necessarily going to be aware. Any mechanic certainly should, but summer help isn't likely to. The facility is still responsible IMHO, but it might take legal action to get them to own-up to the error. They will argue that the gasser was reasonably under the assumption that the boat did not require oil to be mixed into the gas.

Now you know why I NEVER advise premix conversions of oil injected outboards. This kind of situation is guaranteed to happen soner or later. Whenever I see one of these come in for repair, we have a supply of 50:1 stickers that Force used and I put on two. One on the dash and one by the fuel fill. It at least has the potential of saving such a motor.

Now if your motor does still have VRO, then I just got a whole lotta finger exercise. ;)

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Good point about marking the filler and dash if it is a premix conversion. Could be really difficult to get the dealer deemed liable. Especially if there was no indication of needing premix. Is there a VRO tank still on the boat and if so is there anything in it ??. I thought that motors of the vintage stated were all VRO. I still have mine running on my 1985 140hp and with a little care and attention it gives no trouble. (so far)
If your VRO is connected and it simply ran out of oil when you took it out, (you should have got a warning alarm I would think) then I dont see that the dealer can be held liable either. I dont think it very smart of him not to check the oil tank if that is the case either.
Tricky one to resolve if the dealership is not immediately co-operative !!!

Cheatham

Recruit

It is a VRO. I has been removed but he knows that it had been removed. The gas was mix it droped a ring. It was getting dark when I was looking at it.There taking care of it all. There going to replace 2 of the pistons and all the rings. The wall were not messed up they didn't look bad. There doing it all for 250.00. By the time I left there they had the apart.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

It is a VRO. I has been removed but he knows that it had been removed. The gas was mix it droped a ring. It was getting dark when I was looking at it.There taking care of it all. There going to replace 2 of the pistons and all the rings. The wall were not messed up they didn't look bad. There doing it all for 250.00. By the time I left there they had the apart.

Glad to hear you have some resolution to your issue but sorry you are having to pay $250 for their admitted liability !!!!
Hope you are back on the water soon.

iwombat

Captain

$250 is well worth not having the hassle of forcing them to take ownership. I think it's a pretty reasonable compromise. Sure it would have been better for them to shoulder it all, but it's a pretty decent offer.