Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Boatflipper,
Pretty wide spread flooding around here. I'm not sure if they have canceled schools or not.
Glad to hear you and your family are at least safe.
Thanks
Bob

sick of all this rain!!!! but i'm glad you were able to get some work done, atleats your under a little bit of shelter...mine is sitting wide open in the driveway...yuck..

we don't have any schools closed here, but downtown and some outlying areas are a mess...

SnowHunter

Petty Officer 1st Class

HVAC,
I plan to seal it with either paint or resin.
I'llhave to try the allen wrench trick too. I can't seem to find my tourch either, go figure. I put it somewhere safe again.
SnowHunter
My wife told me that it looks like the rain is almost over for a couple days.
If it keeps going, I'll be able to just push off the trailer and go floating around.
Bob

Hope it does stop and yall can get a break!!!!!

Friscoboater

Captain

I am glad to see you guys did not drown, and I love your idea about the foam.

bacafrog

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I didn't even buy the tool , I was about to here on iBoats and read the review for the Sierra it was all bad. I did a search and found others used a allen, went to sears and got it for $10.00 I did get lucky with my pins, whomever did it last time didn't use loctite

I actually wrote one of those reviews here on iboats.com. I ended up buying a complete set of allen wrench sockets for 12 dollars. The 1/2 inch one worked like a charm, and it even fits my torque wrench with out an extra socket. Glad to hear it helped someone out.

fiddleplayer247

Recruit
Re: glasstream restoration

Re: glasstream restoration

I dont mean to be a thread hijacker, as I just opend an account on here less that 5 minutes ago (way to introduce myself huh?), but I have a lead on a Glasstream 182 Caravelle. I am not certain as to the date of manufacture of the boat, but it looks to be VERY similair in style as your project(awesome and clean work btw, I've read the WHOLE thread) for 250 dollars. I have longed for a boat of my own years before I even got my drivers license, and I absolutely love the styling of older boats. My aunt had a late 80's bayliner when I was a kid, and I would go to the lake simply to ride in her boat. Anyways, I'm not sure on the condition of the motor, as the engine cover has been sitting off the boat for about 5 years, although it is intact. The foot was very easy to turn with the flick of my wrist, and the foot is in IMMACULATE looking condition. I pulled the foot left and right(again with the flick of my wrist) and the steering was smooth as silk... I know I will have to replace the plywood flooring of the boat, as weeds and briars are growing in it, but I figure, hack, for 250 I cant go wrong right? What do you guys think? I'll add pictures(hopefully i wont offend Bob for hijacking his thread....) Guys I'm looking for honest opinions... I dont expect to be riding in the boat this summer, but I dont mind a little project to work on either. The price of the rebuild will be split 50/50, my brother likes the idea of a boat to tool around in. The pictures are the only ones I have of it right now.... if ya'll want more, I will only post with permission from Bob, or simply start another thread.

Bob, please accept my apology in advance for hijacking.

Cliff

Attachments

• 0503101648.jpg
    0503101648.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0503101647a.jpg
    0503101647a.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 0503101647b.jpg
    0503101647b.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 0
  • 0503101647.jpg
    0503101647.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 0

sprintst

Commander

That boat is getting done at the right time...more like an ark.

Hopefully the rain stops soon and all that water recedes. I picked mine up in a massive flood.

Your foam work looks great. Closer every day...

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Thanks for all the post. I have been out of it for a couple days. I Have driven 1200 miles since Friday. Work related.:eek:.
Hey fiddleplayer247,
I happen to really like my Glasstream. Its a 182 Caravelle also,
If you click on the photobucket link below you can see what you will be in for. I'm sure that you will have the same problems I did. It will be more then the deck. As for the price, well you can part it out for more then that. I would give you almost that for the windshield. :p
Don't worry about hijacking my thread either. That's what we are here for.
HVAC,
Thanks again for the tip on the tool, and the loctite.
bacafrog,
Thanks for sharing the information too.
Sprinst, I'm beginning to think I need to build an ark.
Snowhunter, Teh rain finnally stopped.
mrdjflores, Working in the open is not any fun.
Thanks for the comments.
Thanks frisco.
Another note: After tomorrow I'll be out of touch for a few days. Granddaughters birthday. I'll be on the road.
Take care and keep rolling.
Bob

fiddleplayer247

Recruit

Thanks for the input Bob, I just wanted to make sure that if I dove into this and decided it might be too much for a college kid and his younger brother(im 20, he's 17) that I might could still come back out on the level, if not coming out ahead. The worst part for us I think would probably be the fiberglass work... I go to church with a guy that builds fiberglass septic tanks, and although it is different from a boat hull, fiberglass is fiberglass, right? I'm not too bad with wood, and that (I THINK) would be the easiest part.... im real worried about the transom though... When I went to look at the boat the first time, there was water sitting underneath the motor, so I am going to assume the worst and hope for the best on that... I know absolutely nothing about the motor though, and that worries me the most. It is the inline 3.0 merc (if I remember correctly). I have no idea if it will even turn over, much less start, and with the engine lid being off of the motor while it is sitting there for sale, it makes me want to think that the engine is the reason the boat was parked in the first place... if anyone else has any other questions, comments, concerns, please help me out..

Thanks, Cliff

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey fiddleplayer247,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you.
I have been out of touch for the last few days. Start a thread and let the great folks on here help you.

No more updates on my project, but I will be back on it this week end weather permitting.
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Nice to see you back at it again. Hopefully you get some good weather to work on her.

Next weekend I'll have some time again with any luck

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey sprintst,
I'm really starting to get greedy and want to be home every weekend but that's just not possible yet.
I may end up working at the day job Saturday, which will keep me from making it home but I'm trying to work it out.
Good luck on your time this week too.
Looks like the weather isn't going to be very good anyways.
Take care
Bob

sprintst

Commander

It will all work out in the end. My week days are shot but with any luck I'll get time to pop rivet the floor down and hopefully glass and epoxy.

If not I'll try to strip some more contact cement and fix up some off the odds and ends.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Bob,
Just peeking in to say hello. With working a weekend job, as sprint said it will all work out. Just feel lucky you have the opportunity, your wife and boat will be there when you get home with bells on :) .

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hi Bob,

Dropping in to say hello. Sorry you've been so busy. I thought I was the one with that problem. Good to see you're still getting around on the site. I'm having to catch up with everybody on weekends.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Folks,
Thanks for all the comments.
Well I did manage to get home this weekend, just worked late Friday night to get my work done.
It really didn't gain me much, as far as the boat. Got up Saturday morning to home duties, Mowing, and other yard work. I got on the boat about 2 PM and it started pouring rain by 3:30 and didn't stop the rest of the weekend.
I did manage to get the rest of the foam poured and trimmed. The next trip home I'll seal the foam, paint the ski locker and put the deck in for the last time. here's a couple pic's of the foam completed.
IMG00331.jpg

IMG00332.jpg

One thing I didn't mention is that my foam is removable. I put plastic down before I poured it and I can lift it right out if I wanted to.
I will seal any areas I trimmed or broke the skin of the foam with resin to make sure it does not absorb water if it ever comes in contact with any.
Not much completed but at least it was something. I wish I was as far along as the rest of you.:(
When the weather kicked in I went inside and started working on the transom assembly. HVAC thanks for the tip about the allen wrench. I used heat and a breaker bar to get the hinge pins out to no avail. Got frustrated and went with heat and a 3 ft cheater bar, Through caution to the wind. I won the loctite lost. The transom assemble is now completely torn down and in the process of being cleaned.
Well, I hope you all have a great week.
Hey, Mountain man, What's up with your project.
Thanks
Bob

sprintst

Commander

Nice work with laying the plastic down first. That definately was the way to go.

Triton II

Commander

Looking good Bob. Great idea to have removable sealed foam... looking at some of the restos on here where guys are pulling waterlogged pour-in foam out, I reckon your idea will save you heaps of angst down the track... :cool:
TII

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Glad to hear you got some work done Bob, the foam looks great! Interesting idea on the removable foam. I still think we need to have the I-boats barn raising and get you into a shop!

micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hey Bob- it's been a while. Nice work on the foam. the hull looks great- it will look even better when the floor is in:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
Thanks for all the great comments.
I don't plan to ever do this again on this boat. It lasted 20+ years from the factory and I know it is protected better now. The next person to do it rebuild this boat may appreciate the extra work.
My next trip home the deck will go in permanently. I just want to paint the ski locker before the deck. It will be a lot easier.
I could really use a barn raising too.
This project is really moving sloooooow.
Take care all and have a great week.
Bob