micks110

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Timid but determined Glasstream restoration

Bob- Can you say addiction:D

BobsGlasstream

Commander

micks110,
Hey, I didn't buy it. One of my friends did.
However I can say adddddddiiiiiicction. Well sorta.:p
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bob, I hope you are going to get something for all the work you will be doing to his boat. I wont tell him you would do it for free because you are happiest when covered in fiberglass dust.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hello all,
One thing I'll get out of helping him is, not being bored sitting here with nothing to do. I'm sure that I get a lot of satisfaction just seeing another boat saved from the landfill too and his family enjoying the boat.. :D
I'm stuck here in Milan now not really because of the weather but I had to work later then expected. The weather won't let me work on either boat so, I'll wait till next weekend when the weather is supposed to be better.
This is what I found when I got out of work tonight.
IMG00243.jpg

Did I ever mention that I hate snow. :mad:
Have a great night and stay warm.
Bob

Rob N

Recruit

Hey Bob! I just read you entire string ..........what have you gotten me in to. This sound like a great group and I can wait until the weather breaks and we can start on my boat. I really appreciate you feeding your addiction by helping me:)

Rob

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey Rob N
Not a problem, It is going to be a lot of fun and I get to help spend someone Else's money. :D:cool:
Let the fun begin.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Welcome rob n. Bob, if you dont **** the snow we dont have any up here at all. But it got up to 14 degrees here today. Last night it was a pain in the butt sanding as my da froze up after about 5 seconds of use.

Mountain_Man

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Glad to see another one starting up.:)

I'm thinking mine will have to wait a while. Got another foot of snow last night. What's up with the south getting the snow and the north not?:confused:

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey all,
I'm really not sure but I really don't like it at all.
I'm ready for spring nooooooooooow!
Bob

archbuilder

Vice Admiral

Welcome to the group Rob! Bob if it makes you feel any better....I got stuck pulling back into my driveway! I almost made it up the hill....hope it warms up for you soon!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Thanks Archbuilder,
It didn't make me feel any better. I talked to my wife today and she said we only got 4-6" of snow. I'm glad I decide not to go home this week and go next week. The temps are supposed to be in the 50's. I hope that holds.
I'll try to get Rob to start a thread to. I spoke with him today and he was reading threads on Iboats and I was looking for parts for his boat. HA! HA!.
Stay warm everyone.
Bob

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

Bob, if it makes you feel better we finally got some snow today. Just a dusting that blew away in a few minits but it was snow. What I need is heat. It is not supposed to break 20 all week. There are tons of people out on the lake fishing thru the ice. I need to fix a window in the garage (dont ask) so I can get it warm enough to gelcoat the top.

rich158

Cadet

great thread & the boat has come along great.

Bit of a newbie question for you: Are you using poly or epoxy resin? And what would you recommend a glassing newbie to use?

micks110

I was a newbie when I started and I am using poly- hecuva lot cheaper for my project then epoxy.

Bob- Can't wait to see some updates on the boat when you get back!

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey rich158,
Welcome to Iboats and thanks for reading my Thread.
As for the resins, I'm using Poly, Epoxy is stronger but also cost a bunch more. Most boats are built from Poly and last a very long time. I don't think either are out to difficult for a newbie. I think it is really a matter of choice.
I get my poly resin for $20 a gallon and that's hard to beat.
Good luck with your project.
Hey Mick,
I will be heading home Friday. I hope to be on the boat Sat. We will see if Murphy shows up.
Bob

santo101979

Petty Officer 3rd Class

What a great thread! I cant believe that youve accomplished so much working outside. Its been absolutely freezing cold here in Chicago and even with the torpedo heater my garage has been pretty cold. Great project and thanks for all the posts. If you got a chance I'd like to get your thoughts on my thread, stop by and take a look if you get a chance. Keep up the good work and heres to that ground hog forecasting an early spring tomorrow!

SKIBUM1M

Chief Petty Officer

I could be wrong but I think I read that epoxy doesnt stick to poly well.

BobsGlasstream

Commander

Hey SKIBUM1M,
I have read the Once you use epoxy that poly won't stick to it but I have seen a lot of folks using epoxy.
I know that very few boats are made from epoxy.
I'm not sure I understand it completely but it seems to work epoxy on poly but not the other way.
I have read that if you plan to Gel Coat (which is poly)over epoxy you have to use another coat of some other material ( can't remember what it was) to get it to stick.
I just use the Poly. :D
Bob

tallcanadian

Captain

Epoxy will stick to just about anything, including polyester resin, but polyester resin doesn't stick to epoxy very well.

micks110

Sounds good Bob. Hope you get back to it soon. We finally had some snow up here- 2"- it got me a 2 hour delay for school and some much needed sleep. In 12 days I have gotten 35 hours sleep! We are supposed to get hammered Friday into Saturday- I heard about 2' of snow:eek: I actually enjoy the snow though- makes everything quiet and peaceful.