Plasma vs. LCD

cobalt79

Cadet
Hi:

I am planning on buying a new tv between 46" and 52" for my rec room and would like to hear other's opinions on going to plasma or LCD. Would like to stay in the lower price range and do not care about too many bells and whistles (we are not really discerning viewers). We have a Sharp Aquos 37" LCD in our living room and are quite happy with it, but in the stores plasma seems to have a beautiful picture.

Very confused, any help is really appreciated!

Jack

Bifflefan

Commander
Re: Plasma vs. LCD

Go LCD, good picture, lasts, and is not to pricey.
Plasma, cost more, better picture, cost a ton and a half to fix. My neighbors paid 700.00 to get theirs fixed, 11 days out of warranty. 3 years old.
My LCD. 5 years old, still a rockin...

wajajaja02

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Plasma 2.5 x the electric consumption whether you use it or not.

craze1cars

Lieutenant Commander

Gotta say I respectfully disagree with both of above posters.

Here are some facts on power consumption, instead of an incorrect assumption. Plasmas of the same size usually use a LITTLE more electricity than LCD's...but nowhere near 2.5x more. Maybe 20% more. and there are acually a number of 50" plasmas that use LESS energy than some 50" LCD's. Better to read specs than to make assumptions if this is a concern. And for most new TV's, when they're off, they're OFF....they do not have the parasitic standby drain of the past, especially if you buy one that is Energy Star rated:

http://reviews.cnet.com/green-tech/tv-consumption-chart/?tag=contentBody;nextPage

And I have personally found that a 46 to 50 inch Plasmas are usually CHEAPER to buy than a 46 to 50 inch LCD, not more expensive. Plasma handles motion better, though the 120 and 240 refresh rate models in LCD's are finally closing the gap. Though plasmas are and always have been closer to the 500 or 600 range...

I'm a plasma fan, hands down. Softer, more natural colors, blacks are substantially better and less 'grey', better motion handling, not such a harsh white light that seems to come from LCD's. Generally in a very bright sunny room a LCD will look better to overcome the glare. But in a darker room with less windows and direct sunlight a plasma will look better.

Panasonic is my favorite plasma brand. 46 to 50 inchers can be had for $800 to $1,400 if you shop around, depending on whether you want the latest and greatest or just a budget model.

Can't speak for repair costs. Have never had a problem...so far zero.

Shop www.crutchfield.com. They have much more current models than typical big box stores, their service is second to none, and they will meet/match prices if you chat with them on the phone...their final sale price is ALWAYS lower than the price they have listed on their website. After you settle on a model you like, call them and chat with a salesperson. I guarantee you their price will drop as you chat...

Here's a filtered list of less expensive TV's that probably fall in your shopping guidelines...notice that the plasmas are actually the cheapest of them all...
http://www.crutchfield.com/g_260050...ch_do_you_want_to_spend?|[rank2]$801+-++$1500

4JawChuck

Chief Petty Officer

Plasma, had an LCD and it crapped out after 3 years and the blacks were nowhere near as nice as the plasmas. I have a 50 inch Panasonic and it has been great, not a single issue to date. Try to get one with lots of HDMI inputs and 1080P capable, many HD sources require it and it seems you can never have enough HDMI inputs.

This is mine;

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/Broadcast/presentation/plasma/pf_11_series.asp

It only has 2 HDMI inputs and I could use four.

Drowned Rat

Captain

Be sure to check out the newer LED backlit LCD screens. Picture is just as good as plasma and less power consumption. Blacks are not a problem on these TVs the way they are on regular LCD screens.

scipper77

Commander

I just bought a new 120 hz Philips lcd and the picture is awesome. Blacks are fantastic, my only complaint is there is a slight motion blur. It looks like the lcd's are coming out on top because they are becoming cheaper and closing the performance gap at the same time. Also I don't think anyone has mentioned "burn in" which is an issue with plasmas.

bdblazer1978

Cadet

When we bought our LCD there were two things that helped up decide. First the LCD has less glare in sunlight. The second, we were told that if we move somewhere with a significantly different altitude that the plasma wouldn't work as well since it wasn't calibrated for that altitude. I don't know about the second but since we move every 3-4 years I wasn't going to take the chance.

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

I was looking at Plasma and LCD tv's a few months ago. I really didn't like either, and ended up getting a Mitsubishi 53 inch DLP. Really, Really like it. And low power consumption.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The difference between the power of an LCD and a Plasma may only be 200 watts or so. That being said, the EU and California may make Plasmas dinasours if the legislation of banning them that is being talked about goes through.

Rickairmedic

Commander

I say LCD cheaper now lasts longer and cheaper to fix when the time comes .

Rick

i386

Captain

Plasma was the right choice for my application. Since you mentioned it going in the rec room I wonder if you'll be using it for video games. If so, you might want to go LCD to avoid the burn-in issues or at least look for a newer plasma set that has features to reduce burn-in.

If you'll be using the set for movies and sports Plasma may be a good choice for the money unless you go for the high-end LCD models.

One last point I'd like to make is 1080p vs 720p. When you shop, step back to the distance you'll be viewing the set from at home. At a certain distance, the human eye cannot differentiate between the two. I sit 14' away from mine. I have a 50" plasma 720p model and it looks great from where I sit.

Pony

Rear Admiral

Burn in is a thing of the past.....it just doesn't happen on the newer plasmas. Panasonic's have been burn in free for awhile now. It is a HUGE misconception that this problem still exists. DO NOT be scared away from a plasma because of this.

The best new LCDs are 240hz, most any plasma (even base models) will do 600hz. They are great for watching sports, and the higher contrast makes them awesome for watching movies. They also (now that burn in isn't an issue) are great for gaming.

I have an LCD, an plasma, and a DLP......and the plasma is by far my favorite TV. The reason I like LCDs in some applications is they don't have the glare issues that plasmas have with external light sources. In a sunny room an LCD is a must, in a rec room/basement plasma is the BEST choice.

dlindeblad

Petty Officer 1st Class

Do yourself a favor. Go to the store and look at the two TVs. Look at the Plasma really good. I mean don't just look at the picture, but stare past the picture. You will notice that you will be able to see every damn light in the store and any people standing with you.

This said; if you have a dark area w/o big picture windows, the Plasma is sweet. If it is for use in a well lit area with windows directly behind you, the LCD is the best option as is absorbs most of the glare.

Bronc Rider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Its all about the quality of the television. If you go to any store that has multiple displays youll see what I mean. I have a Samsung LCD in one room that looks much better than a newer off brand plasma we have in another room. Go shopping and find the one with the best picture for the money.
I believe that the black color on plasmas and LCD's was addressed already. There was an article on Popular Science about a year ago. It showed some of the different technologies manufactures had devoloped to make blacks "blacker".
Genarally plasmas do have a better picture, but it stills boils down to its individual quality.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

Plasma sets are what all other sets are judged by.

If you watch movies, buy plasma. If you dont want blurry pictures buy plasma. If you want the best picture quality buy plasma.

If none of the above matters buy LCD.

rizz

Cadet

When we bought our LCD there were two things that helped up decide. First the LCD has less glare in sunlight. The second, we were told that if we move somewhere with a significantly different altitude that the plasma wouldn't work as well since it wasn't calibrated for that altitude. I don't know about the second but since we move every 3-4 years I wasn't going to take the chance.

I heard that also about the Hi-Lo altitudes, Going from New Jersey say to Colorado it won't work but I also heard that the store will work out a deal with you if that ever happens, switch-a-roo I'm guessing....

rizz

Cadet

I have a LCD rear projection 42" HDTV, In my 3rd year I had to replaced the Lens or Bulb I guess you can call it, Cost: $240.00

Right now I have what they call Blue Blob, Its because the filter in front of the fan that cools the Optical Block is dirty, the Optical Blockers aren't getting the right amount of cooling so there being scorch, too fix that it well cost more then what the tv's worth so I'm done with LCD's.. I feel like Sony setup a One arm bandit in my living room! :)

JaSla74

Chief Petty Officer

Plasma vs LCD is like Inboard vs Outboard. You're going to get a wide variety of opinions. Pending the location of the the TV one might be better suited than the other. I suggest doing the research then choosing one that best suits your needs.

That being said I prefer plasma. I feel their picture is still superior to LCD in most cases. From viewing angles, to black levels. However, I would not want a plasma in a brightly lit room with lots of window. An LCD would be a better choice.