1977 Johnson 140hp outboard starting procedure

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just recently bought a 1977 Glastron SSV 176 with a 1977 140hp outboard. I have been out several times, 4+ and have not figured out the best starting procedure for the motor, sometimes it starts right up when its cold or when it hot. Other times I lift the throttle push the choke lift the throttle pump the bulb push the choke and turn the key lift the throttle etc. It has always started and ran fine to me after several attempts. Does anyone know the best starting procedure for this motor or is there something wrong that I don't know about. It runs @ 30-35 with four adults on it with no problems. Any advice on starting is needed, thanks.

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 1977 Johnson 140hp outboard starting procedure

Pump the bulb till tight..life the fast idle lever to about 3/4 up,, turn key and choke at the same time..hold choke until you hear it sputter..release choke and bump choke as needed to keep it running..if it sputters and shuts off, turn key then after a couple of seconds press choke again, bump choke to keep it running.
That is how I do it anyway..if you flood it the lift the fast idle all the way up and turn it over with out choke until it cranks. I have not had flooding problems though unless I had a stuck needle valve.
You need to make sure that your choke butterflies are closing completely shut on BOTH carbs, when choked. adjust if needed.
Good luck
Sparkie

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Sparkie Boat, when you say bump the choke when it sputters do you mean push in while it is trying to run? Do you have more difficulty cold or after running and stopping or do you have it down to a science?

SparkieBoat

Captain

mine cold starts real well..sometimes it can be a little tricky when its warm.
When you first hear it try to fire up (sputter) release the choke, I usually have to bump the choke 2 to 3 times to keep it running after that. by bump I mean hold the choke about 1/2 to a full second. when it is warm I start it with the idle lever all the way up and bump the choke about a second if it doesnt crank right up..if your bulb is losing prime while you are fishing you may have a slight air leak in your fuel line somewhere allowing your fuel line to empty back into your tank. These V-4s are very thirsty and need lots of fuel to start up.

cvtech1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks SB that helps alot!