How often do you need to check drive fluid level in Volvo SX Drive

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class
After seeing how my bearing cover that the dipstick is screwed into is stripped and having to fix that and seeing how many other people have had this too and seeing how my friends Mercury's have a resevoir in the engine compartment to see fluid level I am wondering why Volvo does not have this

Anyway my fluid level is fine after using it all summer and i plan on replacing it when i winterize but how often during the season should you check the level of oil in your drive - is there any advance worning that you are running low on fluid

I had an SX on my old boat as well and when i did a mid summer gimbal swap it was over 50% low on fluid

I dont want to risk my drive but also dont think its good to be unscrewing the sipstick before every outing - what is the reccomended interval??

user64

Seaman
Re: How often do you need to check drive fluid level in Volvo SX Drive

I have my drive pressure checked each year before mounting. So, if I dont see any "slicks"during the season or hear any strange noise I dont bother checking. Im sure that a lot of people will disagree and theyre probably right..but so far, thats worked for me. Its a 99 SX and everything is original (except prop shaft seal). Volvo's are pretty sturdy

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I check mine everytime I go out. Basically, the night before I launch, I check:

1) the engine oil, drive oil.
2) start the engine
3) check temp
4) check oil pressure
5) look in the bilge for any water or oil leaking
6) check the temp of the manifolds by running my hands over them as the engine warms up.
7) check charging voltage

Robertpel9

Petty Officer 1st Class

What does Volvo recommend - I did a search and cannot locate it. Also the mercury system seems to make more sense why wouldn't volvo adopt this

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Maybe Mercruiser has more problems with heat and fluid expansion than Volvo does.

Be glad you have a Volvo and not a Mercruiser.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Be glad you have a Volvo and not a Mercruiser.
Now Now, I just cannot let that one go by without a comment!!! ;)
(This'll be as good as an "OIL" thread!!)

I'm glad I have a Mercruiser because the aftermarket and used parts availability is FAR better and cheaper (go look for parts on ebay....3:1 in favor of Merc) .......

The fact is, stern drives all use the same type of oil. (syn or dino) they all have the SAME heat and fluid expansion characteristics. Mercury decided to go to a reservoir so the oil level could be checked easily and will keep the drive at the same level regardless of how it's run..... Is that "better"? I don't know. You could probably argue either way...

There's nothing wrong with any of the Volvos. (period) (They're really ok considering that the original Volvos were designed by a Mercury engineer as was the Cobra, which was the precursor to the SX)

I guess you could also say that with the SX, Volvo improved on a failed OMC (Mercury) design.:rolleyes: (not failed because it was "bad" design....quite the contrary, but failed because the company went out of business)

So don't be too hard on Mercury......they are trying....and I for one would like to buy the one made here if I can..........:cool:

That is until they get taken over by the govt:eek:.....then I'll switch!

After seeing how my bearing cover that the dipstick is screwed into is stripped

You need to either drill it out and tap the hole and fix it or replace it. You should check your drive oil frequently or you may end up replacing or rebuilding the drive....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Ha...and the Merc Bravo cone clutch designs are copies of the Volvo!

Maybe the Merc and Volvo are close when you compare Bravo to Volvo but there is no comparison when you compare Alpha drives to Volvo.

Oh..and Volvos are made here!

I'm glad I have a Mercruiser because the aftermarket and used parts availability is FAR better and cheaper (go look for parts on ebay....3:1 in favor of Merc) .......
And it is good for the Merc folks that they are more readily available...they are needed more! :)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

There's nothing more fun than 2 electrical engineers arguing over something mechanical!!
toothlessgiggler.gif

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I know...I am funning with ya. I would buy a Bravo boat just as easily as a Volvo boat. On the other hand, maybe not an Alpha boat.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yeah....I don't know why Merc didn't put the cone clutch in the Alphas... It would seem a better plan.

I would also like to see hydraulically actuated clutches not unlike that in an automatic trans. Maybe it's been tried ....Of course that would probably DOUBLE the price of these things!!:p

83Evinrude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would also like to see hydraulically actuated clutches not unlike that in an automatic trans.

Long as we are wishing, why not a two speed transmission standard on all drives so you can have that 23" prop jump out of the hole like a 17". I guess this has already been done with the switch pitch props though. I would really like to have one but they are too expensive for me.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Yeah....I don't know why Merc didn't put the cone clutch in the Alphas... It would seem a better plan.
My guess is that Alphas have been made so far back before the Volvo patent ran out that it would cost too much to implement it later. That was what the Bravos were for.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Long as we are wishing, why not a two speed transmission standard on all drives so you can have that 23" prop jump out of the hole like a 17". I guess this has already been done with the switch pitch props though. I would really like to have one but they are too expensive for me.

Well, that wouldn't work at all. Propellers have a rather narrow rpm band that they are efficient. This is why stern drives are geared to take advantage of
the engine they are behind. You need to keep the prop below an upper maximum RPM. (excluding surface drives of course)