Re: Dunaruna, Kiwi Phil & Get Reel

Oh dear... the POMs just lost the ashes... :devil:

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Can we make it the best of 7 please.:':)'(

Well played Ricky Ponting and all of the Aussie team.

You may have been better in the field, out batted and out bowled us but you lost hands down in the singing department.

I'm off to cry myself to sleep:':)'(

Kiwi Phil

Commander

What can a guy say.
After yesterday, I thought the POMs could get a draw, or even go for the win.
Anyway, it's all history now, the Ashes are back where they belong, so lets see if we can't make the series 5 Nil.
Sorry for the dissappointment you must feel RPJS.........but must say you are a real-good-sport.
No one has mentioned Gilchrist's centuary......don't forget that one may never be repeated in our life times.
Pity about that wide: it probably represents an attitude....if it had been around the other way, an Aussie bowler would have bowled him "out", or died trying.
Cheers
Phillip

RPJS

Lieutenant Commander

Kiwi said:
the Ashes are back where they belong,

Not yet Phil, they will come home with the England team and be kept at Lords. A bunch of convicts just can't be trusted with that little urn.

You may have won but you can't have 'em:p;)

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Richard, if nothing else, you will witness Warnie get his 700 at the G. That's going be worth the price of admission (but maybe not the airfare :% ).

Kiwi Phil

Commander

I got to ask a question here of you RPJS.
Today they played a TV Ad, by popular request.
I had never seen it before.
It showed a big, ugly, obviously lightweight, statue of Warnie, on the back of a truck in London, then being 'stood-upright' in some Square (in London I guess).
I couldn't believe my eyes and ears.
Was this and ad on English TV for the Ashes?
Was this a send-up to encourage the English to 'follow' this series?
Was this ad what it seemed, as in "no one in the crowd new what was happening"

remember the bit:

"are you an Englishman?"
"yes"
"good, you'll do then"
"do what?"
"unviel the statue"
"me!!"
"your English arn't you"
"yes...."
"then you'll do"

"righto, down on your kness everbody"

That would have to be one of the all-time greatest adds I have ever seem.
Would love a copy.
(it was even better than the New Zealand Toyota add with the 2 Bulls, and that was a beauty).

Cheers
Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Yeah, they showed that on aussie tv, very funny! 8)

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

Congrats to the Aussies, obviously the better team won.:'(

I wish that the drought ends soon and we see an end to the fires, i have heard some talk about the extinction of certain species in that area, i hope that it never comes to that.
Any news on the situation with the koalas and the many smaller bush birds population?

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]I'll update the 'fire' thread as soon as I upload some pics etc.

All the little critters are in trouble.

Triton II

Commander

Ms T and I just got back from a day on the boat including watching the fireworks to celebrate 75 years since the opening of the harbour bridge. What can I say - it was amazing! 8)d:)

Funnily enough, we had invited Richard (RPJS) and his wife Sue who dutifully turned up despite the certain fact that he'd get hell for his team's not-quite-up-to-scratch performance. We met up at the ferry wharf near Taronga Zoo and after a futile attempt to pick them off the wharf (wind, waves etc) we picked them up from the beach.

Out of courtesy to our guests, we flew the large English flag (cross of St George about 1 x 2m) that RPJS brought with him, from our radio antenna. It was the best possible way of attracting attention I could ever have expected. Just about every boat on the harbour shouted "Four-Nil" or some even went as far as predicting the future with shouts of "Five-Nil" as we motored around showing off Sydney's most magnificent feature to our guests prior to the big show!

It really added a bit more friendliness to the occasion, even at 1 a.m as we made our way back to drop Richard and Sue off at the Sebel at Pier One jetty, we enjoyed banter and singing (to the tune of The First Noel) of "Four-or-nil, four-or-nil, FOUR-OR-NILLL, FOUR-OR-NIIII-ILLL" from just about every other boat. Our guests enjoyed it and so did Ms T and I. Richard, being a typical Barmy-Army-er, retaliated with songs of his own and a few quick witted pleasantries, the whole thing was done in a sense of fun and competitiveness.

Today we found out in the paper (so it must be true!) that England Cricket Captain "Freddie" Flintoff had hired one of Sydney's cruising "gin palaces" and had most of his team-mates out on the harbour to watch the $4 million worth of firecrackers being let off. Guess what? THEY didn't fly an English flag... wonder why? Should be ashamed of themselves! :|

Kiwi Phil

Commander

Good hear you gave Richard and his wife a great time Triton.
Our NY celebrations were over the road at my mates place, and we had the TV through the projector in the pool cabana, and in our drunken midnight stupor, we watched the Habour Bridge fireworks. I wondered how you got on and where you actually were. Watching it, it was a pretty impressive "bang".
Good to hear your flew his flag for him......would have done the same myself.....but I would have 'kept it' for the garage wall if I could have got away with it!!!
If this 5th Test goes the same way as the 4th, Richard should have a few days spare to look around.
Pity he can't make it up this way.
Would have enjoyed meeting him.
Cheers
Phillip

Dunaruna

Admiral

[colour=blue]Any pics Mark?

Yeah pics, it doesn't take long enough to load this thread the way it is.;)

Triton II

Commander

No Duna, no pics from me... :'(

RPJS took some with his phone but as the weather forecast was so bad, I didn't take my camera. As it turned out I should have - the weather was OK and it didn't rain until after we dropped off Richard and Sue.

At least it looks like the weather will be OK for the rest of the test! 8) Five-Nil!!! :devil:

Triton II

Commander

First Innings - Australia 100+ runs lead! 8) I can hear the "Five-Nil" song starting up soon... :devil:

Kiwi Phil

Commander

This is starting to get embarrasing, not just for the POMMy team, but for us too. I mean, 5 x 5day Test Matches and they havn't .........what can you say.
They just arn't in the same league.
Now for the annoying part....they won't let us have the winners trophy, The Ashes.
That is only something the POMs could come up with "we loose but we still keep the trophy".
Anyway there are great people so if it makes the Marybone Cricket Club (is that the name?) to have the Ashes there then so be it.
We'll just keep clobbering the daylights out of the English team, year-after-year-after-year.
Cheers
Phillip

Triton II

Commander

England 291 & 114/6 (44.3 ov)
Australia 393

England lead by 12 runs with 4 wickets remaining

Oh dear, what a pity... NOT!

5-0 is getting closer by the minute. :devil:

I heard Julian Morrow from ABC Radio has suggested Warne and McGrath open the batting. Talk about rubbing salt into the wound! 8)

Triton II

Commander

England 291 & 147
Australia 393 & 46/0 (10.5 ov)
Australia won by 10 wickets

OK, so the inevitable happened. 8)8)8)
In the post match celebrations one of the main comments was about the wonderful support to their team and responsible behaviour of the Barmy Army with congratulations being offered. I agree. It was a pleasure to watch the matches and hear and see the fantastic crowd... nice one BA! d:)

Status
Not open for further replies.