Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant
Re: Transom replacement-Turned Complete Boat Rebuild

It hadn't been inspected and signed off yet, its all on me im sorry to say. I normally am on every job site, this was the 5th mechanical room in the complex with every one identical. I had figured by now they had it down pact

Rickairmedic

Commander

Well Bill hopefully they will look back at your ( flawless record ) and not be to much of a pain on you . I know NY is a totally differant world from Big Small town USA Louisville ,Ky . I get along well with all my inspectors and do watch everything that happens . I honestly dont ever intend to get so big that I cant inspect every install thats done before I call it in for inspection . I know I will never make a ton of money this way but honestly down here if I can manage to get 3 trucks running 5 service calls a day and toss in an install crew I will live pretty comfy and not have to touch tools anymore to make money. Will hope for the best for you through this mess and yes I understand it can be quite a mess especially on a job that big.

Rick

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Have you been getting your material local or mail order? I'm just about ready to start glassing and since your in the area I figured I would ask.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Have you been getting your material local or mail order? I'm just about ready to start glassing and since your in the area I figured I would ask.

I have been buying local. A company called DynaGrout I think they are in deer park. They are a fiberglass distributer. Pretty good prices. Let them know I sent you they will probably give better pricing. If you want just gun it under my account hvac alternatives to get my multiplyer. Only one drawback with them is they keep srange hrs 7-11 am weekdays till 4 pm sat

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am definetly going to check them out and that would be great if I could get the HVAC discount. Thanks alot :D

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Rick - talk about your long day got everything corrected.Im a little company, right now I only have 4 on payroll, I just install really big boilers :D
One of the things I do to reduce hrs on the site for these monster installations is I prefab the entire mechanical room in sub assemblies at my shop headers, pump stations etc. then install them site in like 2-3 days complete. it gives the appearance of a fast install when in it really took 2weeks.
an advantage to doing it this way is I can work in my controlled envioment. I also have the Ridgid XL copper prep machine that lets you fly especially when cutting 4" L.

Hey 83Vert- No problem, their prices are good, I have spen't a few grand with them ( I did most everything in epoxy roven woven and 1708.)
If you want I can also give you a real good deal on CSM. I forget what it goes for per yard, but I picked up an entire roll from them for like 200. and I am most definatly going to have alot left over

Huron Angler

Admiral

HVAC that hull is a real beaut:)...looks alot like the Grady Whites and Trophies(my dad has a 24' Seaswirl that is similar as well). I'm sure yours will be extremely solid with the new 'glass and all. Great job on the deck and hatches/flotation it looks like you're an old pro at this:D

Rickairmedic

Commander

Bill good to hear you got everything tightened up hopefully nothing will roll downhill from the mess. I think I will stick to residential and Commercial rooftop units alot less headaches and easier to go back and check when their done. Bill while I got ya here theres a bunch of us that get together to chat on Live used to be MSN messenger get an account set up and hunt me down I'm easy to find my handles the same only @live.com.

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

HVAC that hull is a real beaut:)...looks alot like the Grady Whites and Trophies(my dad has a 24' Seaswirl that is similar as well). I'm sure yours will be extremely solid with the new 'glass and all. Great job on the deck and hatches/flotation it looks like you're an old pro at this:D

Thank you, the boat is pretty solid, it was my father-in-laws before he passed on. I'm putting alot of extra love into it. If he is looking down I want him to be smiling

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Bill good to hear you got everything tightened up hopefully nothing will roll downhill from the mess. I think I will stick to residential and Commercial rooftop units alot less headaches and easier to go back and check when their done.

Rick

Hope not too, I find out tomorrow when the inspector gets there. I worked till 11 tonight to try and make sure everything was perfect.
I hear what your saying, I'm still trying to figure out how I've gotten so popular with boilers, I'm really an AC guy.
This all started when I did a solar project for someone 11 years ago and used a JC metasys system to intergrate a boiler with the solar. My company kinda took on a whole new life

83vert

Petty Officer 1st Class

Let me know about the csm and where did you need to use it on your boat?

Rickairmedic

Commander

Hope not too, I find out tomorrow when the inspector gets there. I worked till 11 tonight to try and make sure everything was perfect.
I hear what your saying, I'm still trying to figure out how I've gotten so popular with boilers, I'm really an AC guy.
This all started when I did a solar project for someone 11 years ago and used a JC metasys system to intergrate a boiler with the solar. My company kinda took on a whole new life

Bill I have actually been considering branching off into Solar thas what my dad did solar pools,hot water systems . I think it might be a good addition to what I have to offer here . I edited my earlier post but I will add it here . Theres a pile of us that get together regularly on Live messenger at night if you feel like joining us just sign up for a live account and let me know my Live ID is the same as my ID here only @live.com.

Hopefully the inspector will be happy with the finished job there and that will be the end of it inspectors know stuff happens .

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Hey Rick, sounds good on the live messenger I will set up a user name
I am very heavy into solar, I do things differently than your average bear.

Update on the job problem, still here sitting in a boiler room. The boiler inspector from the city was fine, the gas co. on the other hand 2 workers came just a little while ago, looked at the boilers, called their supervisor, he came, looked then told me he has to contact another division, because they don't know what they are looking at. They don't understand the new technology so they can't turn the gas on cause they don't know if its installed right or wrong. They were sitting there trying to read the manual. I just can't win. They told me they will call in a little while and let me know if someone can get here tonight.
So 7:15 at night and here I sit :mad:

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Let me know about the csm and where did you need to use it on your boat?

Will do, Ive used it just about everywere as a top layer, and to do build-up.

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Oh man what a crappy situation. When I actually had a job that kinda crap happened all the time with insurance adjusters and this guy and that guy.................frustrating. I am somewhat over working on cars for a living, too many politics and crooked people. I really don't know what else to do tho, im starting to loose sleep over it.

Rickairmedic

Commander

Dang Bill that sucks I guess there are bennies to living in a Small large city . I just walk out to the meter and turn the damn thing on :D. Hopefully they will find someone that can read not likely but hopefully LOL. I have really thought about solar my only issue I have had is in the fall/winter here we have more days like today ( overcast and ugly ) than we do bright sunny ones. I may try a setup on my house and see how it does then go from there after a year of record keeping on my own house . I may even try some passive radiant panels on the garage see how it does at keeping the garage warm without using an actual heater in here.

Rick

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Rick, let me know if you want some design help. I have a few tricks up my sleeve that helps alot even on not so good days. Ive applied good old mechanical enginering to it I run everything off VFD's to maintain a close approach on the heat exchangers so the solar adapts to the present conditions. on residential and small commercial systems, the Wilo and Grundfos VS pumps that take a 0-10v input are the greatest.

I've learned 40 liters per square meter lock it in and walk away doesn't really work too well.

HVAC Cruiser

Lieutenant

Oh man what a crappy situation. When I actually had a job that kinda crap happened all the time with insurance adjusters and this guy and that guy.................frustrating. I am somewhat over working on cars for a living, too many politics and crooked people. I really don't know what else to do tho, im starting to loose sleep over it.

Yep it can get real fustrating at times, I know what you mean about loosing sleep. My industry has its political and crooked side too.

What I'm going through now its ridiculous, because they are clueless they are not going to turn on the gas, and leave a building with 85 apartments without hot water, come on.
I'm really just a little guy swimming with some really big fish. A hit like this could put me out of buisness if it goes on much longer, it can have a cascading effect.

Enough about that, I looked at your thread, you haven't painted your boat yet.

For me actually no work on the boat this week, no time for it I'm sorry to say :( 2 more gal of resin and I should be ready for primer and paint. Then I will be off to work on the teak

I was going to do gelcoat then realized I can't cause the deck and the exterior of the transom repair I used epoxy

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hey Thrillhouse, I quit mechanicing for the same darn reasons exactly!
you must be one of those that actually that take pride, are honest and hard working...
THANKS...
I did the Ford dealership heavy line work for 10 years...burned out and went to college and pizza delivery! then got drawn into photography

if you plan to quit...lower all of your overhead...get 2 roomates...(weekly cash will most likely pay your mortgage) you can do it! little side work out of the garage never hurt, pick and choose easy stuff etc....

Geez Bill Ive taken over your thread with endless drivel...blah LOL

sorry to hear the woes with the workers UUUHHHG!
bummer!
guess you can chalk it up to experience and move on from there....

NICE teak ..the whole deck....... or just a few areas...??

I've been wondering how good wood look linoleum would look and hold up in a boat..... but then again im a redneck! :eek:

thrillhouse700

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Thanks vegas and HVAC, haha ur thread is turning into an "Off topic" thread. My paint should be here tomorrow so maybe tomorrow or the next day, we just started prepping the cap while we have been waiting for paint. The paint really is whats holding us back.

Vegas.... I am one of those mechanics that wishes that people don't see us as criminals. I enjoy fixing things, but I have a problem with overcharging people. I enjoy helping those I work with, and diagnosing tough issues, What did I get for all that? Laid off for low productivity...... I flagged more than most of my team. Whatever tho, hopefully this opens doors for me to do something where people don't assume I'm a crook.

Status
Not open for further replies.