I got chills tonight . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
. . . from a variety of things during the State of the Union address. The first time was when our President introduced Nancy Pelosi. I am proud of a country that acknowledges it's achievements and those who achieve. I am also proud of a country that has free elections. A fact that I acknowledge even when those elections elect people that I disagree with. I got chills when our President spoke of the American spirit that encourages us to help those who are less fortunate. I got chills when he introduced Dikembe Mutombo, a man who has experienced the magic of the US and shown people in his home country what that magic can do. And a man who has become a citizen. I also got chills when our President reminded us that what we do to protect ourselves is not always simple. It is not always clear and it always difficult.

aspeck

Staff member
Re: I got chills tonight . . .

I agree with ya, QC!

KaGee

Admiral

Did not watch it QC. Can't stand the BS anymore. Country be damned, it's all about politics and the possession of power.

I got chills today hearing about the possibilities of the new taxes on health care today. I have to provide my own health care, so on the surface this would benefit me. But the shivers come thinking that there are people in the Whitehouse even considering such a scheme. WTF are they thinking?

ZmOz

Captain

I was too busy watching paint dry.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

They just don't get it. They think if they ignore it, it will go away.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Kagee,

Although this was not the point of this thread, since you didn't watch and this actually helps your situation, I thought I would share:

"Tonight, I propose two new initiatives to help more Americans afford their own insurance. First, I propose a standard tax deduction for health insurance that will be like the standard tax deduction for dependents. Families with health insurance will pay no income or payroll taxes on $15,000 of their income. Single Americans with health insurance will pay no income or payroll taxes on $7,500 of their income. With this reform, more than 100 million men, women, and children who are now covered by employer-provided insurance will benefit from lower tax bills.

At the same time, this reform will level the playing field for those who do not get health insurance through their job. For Americans who now purchase health insurance on their own, my proposal would mean a substantial tax savings – $4,500 for a family of four making $60,000 a year. And for the millions of other Americans who have no health insurance at all, this deduction would help put a basic private health insurance plan within their reach. Changing the tax code is a vital and necessary step to making healthcare affordable for more Americans"

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I got chills too.

My automatic thermostat kicked down. :p

waterinthefuel

Commander

QC, you are right. I was shocked when he announced the tax cut so more people could afford health insurance, and Polosi sat on her hands for that one too.

Gotta love those dems.

Taxes and dems go together like a crane and a bucket, gotta raise it, higher and higher up into the stratosphere....

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Higher and higher up into the stratosphere.... perfect description of our multi-trillion dollar debt that is still growing by the trillions under this irresponsible administration that accuses itself as being Conservative. BAH! But what do you care? We'll all be long dead and our great grandchildren will still be saddled with our legacy. Won't they be proud! :|

oddjob

Commander

I got chills watching nancy bit and twist her lips while simotaneuosly blinking her eyes 5-6 times per second during "W" speach. 8)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

oddjob said:
I got chills watching nancy bit and twist her lips while simotaneuosly blinking her eyes 5-6 times per second during "W" speach. 8)

Now there's a significant observation. Did you by any chance hear the speech?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I got chills when the prez said we would be doubling our strategic oil reserve. I got corrosponding chills when the price of oil went up $2.00 a barrel based on that announcement.

Besides that, I didn't hear anything particularly compelling or new beyond the health insurance plan.

I'm glad the Prez acknowledge Pelosi, but I figure he was addressing the historical significance of a female speaker, not Pelosi herself. I can't imagine he can say her name without feeling like he just ate a bug...

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think what I like most is the event. It is a wonderful event. It is our country doing what it does. Whether you are cynical or not, it is the way it is done.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

Minus all the applause and bravado, I'll bet that speech would take ten minutes. That goes for any S of the U address. Geez, it takes three obligatory standing ovations just for a Prez to get to the first word, followed by another after the first dang sentence. The gallery is up and down more often than a Baptist congregation at a Revival. Jerry Springer gets twice as much productive air time than that once you remove all the commercials, fights, and credits.

treedancer

Commander

I’ve got one question, what were the little pills that Cheney was popping? No doze? :%

KaGee

Admiral

treedancer said:
I’ve got one question, what were the little pills that Cheney was popping? No doze? :%
Probably Oxycotin... the pain he must endure sitting next to that biatch.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

I'll bet Pelosi had to have that chair restuffed after Hastert crushed the padding into sedimentary rock. ;)

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

WillyBWright said:
I'll bet Pelosi had to have that chair restuffed after Hastert crushed the padding into sedimentary rock. ;)

Maybe Hastert let a wet fart in it before he left and that was why Pelosi was wrinkling her face up.

waterinthefuel

Commander

WillyBWright said:
Higher and higher up into the stratosphere.... perfect description of our multi-trillion dollar debt that is still growing by the trillions under this irresponsible administration that accuses itself as being Conservative. BAH! But what do you care? We'll all be long dead and our great grandchildren will still be saddled with our legacy. Won't they be proud! :|

And what is our national debt? 8.6 trillion? What is our GDP? over 12 trillion?

Ask any loan agent and they WANT to see someone who has a good debt to income ratio. We have the largest GDP of any nation on earth. Logic says we will have the largest debt. I know alot of people owe several years worth of income in debt, we have less than one year's worth in debt.

National debt doesn't mean anything, especially with a GDP 1.5 times the debt we have.