My boat storage dilema?

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer
Looking for advice on where to keep my boat during the boating season. I cant make up my mind.

Currently - I keep my boat on trailer at a marina 20 minutes away. Its kept inside. When I want to use it I make a call, he pulls it out, I prep it and he drops me in water. When I'm done boating, I call him and he pulls me out. This cost me $1,000 per year. The guys also an extremely honest mechanic who has actually done small work for me without charging me. Its very hard though getting out there and using boat during the week.

A friend has a boat lift at his ramp that just became available. Its about 15 years old. the ramp is walking distance from my house. He want $1,200 for the lift and $1,000 per year for use of the ramp. I would have to pay $180 per year for a barge to put the lift on the shore. To boat next year I would be paying about $2,400 to start.

Looking for opinions. Is the convenience worth it? I'm having a hard time convincing myself. BTW - wife says for for it.

caver95

Seaman Apprentice
Re: My boat storage dilema?

Looking for advice on where to keep my boat during the boating season. I cant make up my mind.

Currently - I keep my boat on trailer at a marina 20 minutes away. Its kept inside. When I want to use it I make a call, he pulls it out, I prep it and he drops me in water. When I'm done boating, I call him and he pulls me out. This cost me $1,000 per year. The guys also an extremely honest mechanic who has actually done small work for me without charging me. Its very hard though getting out there and using boat during the week.

A friend has a boat lift at his ramp that just became available. Its about 15 years old. the ramp is walking distance from my house. He want $1,200 for the lift and $1,000 per year for use of the ramp. I would have to pay $180 per year for a barge to put the lift on the shore. To boat next year I would be paying about $2,400 to start.

Looking for opinions. Is the convenience worth it? I'm having a hard time convincing myself. BTW - wife says for for it.

Twenty minute drive so 40 min per time, how many times more would you use the close one? not really saving that much in time, your going to have more work keeping it clean outside, you will have to put the boat somewhere during the winter. Would you really use it that much more?

Chiliando

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you have a sweet deal where you currently keep your boat. Like Caver says, not worth it to save a 1/2hr total for the day.

And an honest mechanic that has done free work??????? Hello!!!!!!

My .02.....

Mike Robinson

Senior Chief Petty Officer

.... This cost me $1,000 per year. ....

Is that $1000.00 a year regardless of how many times you launch? How many times a year are you launching? Keeping the boat under cover is a big plus.

lrlima

Petty Officer 1st Class

that's a good deal for only 1k with an honest mechanic as a bonus. But...im always in the camp of keeping the wife happy. If I could get out on it 10 - 20 times more per season, then its worth it...

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Its $1,000 per year with unlimited launches from 5/15-10/15. I can launch myself at night if hes not there. Ramp use is free

arks

Lieutenant Commander

Looking for opinions. Is the convenience worth it?

Only YOU can answer that question!

My opinion- You're better off right where you are!
If you go for the lift you need to add the cost of a weatherproof full cover, too.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I can launch myself at night if hes not there. Ramp use is free

That part right there is a great deal. I don't think those type of places around here let you launch your own boat on their ramp if they aren't around.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

go for the close to home. Main reason: wife says so. You will use the boat twicew as much, so do the math on cost per use.
Don't fret about covers, etc. A lot of boats are keep outside uncovered for years. Depends on the boat, though; a "sofa boat" won't do so well. I guess we need to know where you are.
I don't understand the barge and lift issue--is the lift not installed? what are you taking to shore annually for $180? Also if the boat is on a lift why do you need a ramp? If you ue a ramp why do you need a lift? Ramp + trailer, or lift, are the choices I know.
can you get a wet slip there and just keep it in the water?

lprizman

Chief Petty Officer

Stay where your at and preserve 2 relationships.

salty87

Commander

what's the deal with the friend? is it a business or a spare lift on his property? will you get a contract?

and like home cookin said...why do you need a lift and a ramp? $1k to launch at the beginning of the season and to take it out at the end? yikes

i'd be tempted to stay with the marina, you're the only one here that knows your friend.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Home Cookin - The lift is in the water now but virtually impossible to get out without a barge that drives down the river and takes a crane to lift out and put on shore. The cost is $180. If the boat is on the lift, I will not have access to a ramp. You are correct I will not need a ramp. Ramp is at marina. About a 1/4 mile up the river is a marina with slips in a no wake zone. The cost for that is $1600 per year. Thats actually my third option.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Salty - no ramp where the lift/slip is. I would be renting friends slip for $1,000 for the year. I need to pay him $1200 now for purchase of the lift. The marina cost $1000 per year with in/out service and free use of ramp when hes not there at night.

salty87

Commander

marina = $1600/yr for dry stack and use of the ramp

or

$1200 for a lift and $1k/yr for a slip to put the lift in + $180 to move the lift...but no ramp to use

is that right?

alot still depends on your friends.

i had friends that let me use their slip whenever they weren't which was most of the time. it was kinda weird walking thru their yard to use their slip but i invited them almost all of the time if they were home. there was no money exchanged.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

marina = $1,000 per year for in/out service and free use of ramp when theres no one there

correct on costs for lift, slip and removal of lift

Hes more an acquaitance than a friend. Our kids are good friends with each other.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

OPtion 1 (current) dry stack @ $1000/yr plus ramp but 20 minutes away
Option 2 forget it too complicated
Option 3 wet slip/ramp access $1,600 and 1/4 mile away (5 minute walk).

Go for #3--pay a little more but use your boat a whole lot more often.

If you stay w/ #1, since you live near the water, see if someone will let you tie up over the weekend so you can keep the boat in the water and nearby Fri-Sun.

I just know from a lifetime's experience that there is nothing like a boat in the water ready to go less than a few minutes away. Even a small boat on a trailer a few minutes away doesn't get as much use as one floating. Use it twice as much and it's worth the $600.

I agree however that there is value in the established relationship and indoor storage--the importance of the latter is driven by the type of boat and the weather there (unknowns at this point).

Also with a wet slip you may have to paint your bottom. Not a big deal but a factor.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Real good thoughts there HC. Especially the one about possibly docking over the weekends.

jmarty10

Chief Petty Officer

Home Cookin - the boat is a 2008 open bow runabout, 18 foot. Its chicago weather with rainy periods in the summer.

You know.... you make a good point. It cost $20 to rent a slip at marina. Launch it on Friday and bring it back on Sunday! Not sure why we havent done that yet this year.

If I go with keeping the boat on the water, I'm not sure I would paint the bottom, thats another $700-$1000. Acid washing boat is about $150 per year.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Chicago is a good reason to stay with the covered storage. Also if you have carpet/upholstery. In our temperate climate (Virginia) the best boat is all fiberglass that you can leave out all year round--we get some excellant surprise boating weather even in winter; spring is early and fall is late. Florida of course is year round.

Jeep Man

Commander

We keep our boat at a FRIEND's spare slip, all season, every season. They offered! They are related, but distant, like 4th cousins. Public ramp is across the street from the cottage. They won't take my money, would just like me to help with dock maintenance every now and then. I guess I'm getting a good deal.