22' 1968 Starcraft Islander

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 22' 1968 Starcraft

Doc good lookin Rig there and looks like your moving right along on it . I will recomend you go back to Lowes or Homie Desperate and get a couple jugs of Citristrip it wont hurt the aluminum but it will hurt the paint :D it is also biodegradable so safe to remove with a pressure washer .

Rick

I saw that one too, but I picked peel away 6 because it had a picture of a boat on there. :D I went to the paint store and bought this. Hopefully this will do the job.
aircraftpaintremover.jpg

wrfalpacas

Chief Petty Officer

Nice Islander! Good luck with the outboard conversion, I decided to stay with the I/O.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Wow! It takes up a whole lot of time cleaning up. I didn't do much today, but at least the driveway is clean and will give me room to remove stuff tomorrow.

cleandriveway.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm at the hospital right now because my wife is about to have a baby. I don't think ill be able to do any work on the boat for a couple of days.

Huron Angler

Admiral

I'm at the hospital right now because my wife is about to have a baby. I don't think ill be able to do any work on the boat for a couple of days.

Good decision...you are a smart man...the boat will be there waiting for you.;) Congratulations...boy or girl? Are you gonna need a bigger boat now?:p

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Good decision...you are a smart man...the boat will be there waiting for you.;) Congratulations...boy or girl? Are you gonna need a bigger boat now?:p

Hahaha. Thanks. It's a healthy boy. He weighed 8 1/2 lbs and was 21 inches. I'm proud of my wife because she did it without any epidural or pain medication.

I think when I fix this boat it will be big enough.

Greendiver

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Congrats on the new Baby!

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

The baby's back home as of yesturday, so it's time to get back to the boat.
I finally had some help as my Dad came back from vacation. We started today pretty late because we can't work until after 6PM because it's like 110 degrees outside.

The first thing we did was to take off the winshield.
Afterwindshieldtakenoff.jpg

Then we used a chalk line to mark where we were going to cut the top off.
markingwithchalkline.jpg

We did the same to both sides.

After that, we (as in my Dad) began to cut along the marked lines with the grinder.
cuttingwithgrinder.jpg

2ndcut.jpg

When my Dad was cutting the edge off, the grinder bounced off and broke the blade.
brokerblade.jpg

So, he used the reciprocating saw to finish the job.
cuttingwithsawsaw.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

My dad went over to the front and just cut straight down through the front cuddy window.
bothsidesoftopcut.jpg

topcut.jpg

frontviewwithtopcut.jpg

Then we took out both side windows.
portsidewindowout.jpg

starboardsidewindowout.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then we made some notches to try to bend the aluminum down.
notchinfront.jpg

notchinback.jpg

It didn't work out too good because we couldn't bend the aluminum, so we might just cut that part out and weld something back on there.

Then we moved on to lower the side. We wanted to make all of it even so it's comfortable for fishing all around the boat.

We marked it first with chalk line then we cut it.
1stlinedrawn.jpg

2linesdrawn.jpg

1stcut.jpg

2ndcutonside.jpg

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

bothcuts.jpg

bothcuts2ndview.jpg

After that piece was cut off we cut the front part off and lowered the whole thing. You can see how much lower it is than the other side.
sidelowered2ndview.jpg

sidelowered4thview.jpg

sideview3rdview.jpg

sidelowered.jpg

I don't think it turned out too bad. We will continue the other side tomorrow and see how well it turns out.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

I lowered the other side and cleaned the boat. It seems like there might be a little rust on the inside. How can I take that off, or should I just use Gluvit over it?
I can't find my Blackberry so I didn't take any pics today.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

How much Gluvit will I need to seal all the rivets in my boat?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Congrats on the baby boy...I've got two sons and know the feeling well:D

That is going to be one mean big water fishing rig when you're done.

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Congrats on the baby boy...I've got two sons and know the feeling well:D

That is going to be one mean big water fishing rig when you're done.

Thanks! Do you know how much Gluvit I will need? :D

Huron Angler

Admiral

Thanks! Do you know how much Gluvit I will need? :D

I think they sell it in gallons or quarts...your rig is huge so I'd get a gallon and coat every rivet and seam that you can access. Keep in mind that gravity will pull the gluvit downwards slowly so try to tilt the hull accordingly if possible. People swear by that stuff so it is worth the price...I'm about to order some from iboats myself.

Also...what's his name?

lockey32

Cadet

First off congrats on the new baby boy . Second i use to paint houses and have used the peel away , let me tell you it' some bad stuff . The gloves in your pics are not good enough . I do not know how to deactiveate it , i spent all night in the ER trying to stop it with water , bakeing soda ,coke and nothing worked so be very careful and keep it away from kids .Anyway to get it to work we had to put it on 1/8 thick and cover i with meat wraping paper so it won't dry out . Don't use the power washer ,it will splash back and if any people or pets walk through it it will burn them . Water reactiveates it . It will kill your grass to . Paint scraper and a buckit are the best thing to use and wash your hands and arms alot . If you feel it tingle it's burning you .

evildocrsx

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks for the great tips. I don't think i'm gonna strip the boat anymore though. I'm just to gonna sand it and paint over it like it was suggested to me earlier. The paint is not that bad after all.

There are 2 sizes on iboats for the Gluvit. The 2lb one and the 8lb one. I imagine the 8lb one is the gallon size one, but I just want to confirm this.
Thanks.

BTW, my son's name is Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.