Does the govt have the right.....

Plainsman

Rear Admiral
To say what you can eat.... In NY state they are going to force resturants to stop using trans fat in cooking.

I say no, it should be my choice what I eat. What say you? And why.

And what will they try to stop next?

Sounds like to much "big brother" to me.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral
Re: Does the govt have the right.....

You asked a general question then followed up with a very specific example. I do believe in the government's right (should I say responsibility) to regulate food sales. And truth in labelling that sort of thing. To outlaw something like "trans fats" should need some kind of overwhelming evidence of harmfulness. Just my opinion.

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

EricKems said:
To say what you can eat.... In NY state they are going to force resturants to stop using trans fat in cooking.

I say no, it should be my choice what I eat. What say you? And why.

And what will they try to stop next?

Sounds like to much "big brother" to me.

Just remember EK, Hillary, et al, loves you and would never compel you do anything that she thought was not in your best interest! ;)

QC

Supreme Mariner

Hate it, hate it, hate it.

Three reasons:

1) Slippery slope. Next it will be fat % in burgers, then milk, then sugar etc. etc.

2) Just like the emissions du jour syndrome. First it was nuclear winter, then global warming, then trans fats will be health food. Good cholesterol, bad cholesterol. Fat is baaaaaad, fat is good. They (we) don't know ship!!!

3) The religions of the left, health and the environment. Worship both.

QC

Supreme Mariner

jtexas said:
To outlaw something like "trans fats" should need some kind of overwhelming evidence

Begrudgingly agree. Heavy on the overwhelming, like kills you within 10 seconds of ingesting . . .

Reel Poor

Vice Admiral

Big mistake on their part. They should have taxed it like they do cigaretts and alcohol. They could have made millions. :'(

i386

Captain

There has to be a line somewhere between serving rat poison and trans fats. That line needs to be defined and not crossed.

Link

Rear Admiral

Doubt if health has anything to do with it.
I don't know anything about the industry but follow the money.
Someone is making money off this you can bet.

Smoking Mirrors comes to mind

My .02 anyway

xtraham

Lieutenant

aint it funny how the folks that say "it's my right" are trying to take away most of them...........
started with 55 stay alive, smoking bands, seatbelts ect...............

rwise

Captain

who better to test things on than us :/

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Mixed feelings on this.

They are not regulating what you eat. They are regulating what restaurants sell. I think they can do that, but it would make more sense to require disclosure and let the customer decide whether to eat it or not.

If they want to inhibit the consumption of stuff like that they need to make a pound tax, sort of like the gas guzzler tax. Tax fat folks on the amount they are overweight.

Yes, that's a joke, but some lefty (a skinny one) will think it's a good idea.:%

Bondo

Staff member

Btw,........
This is a New York City ordinance,........
Not a New York State Law......

And,.......
As far as the Money Trail,.......
It's the Restaurants that are using the Cheaper frying Oils, with the Trans-Fats, rather than Better(aka. Cleaner, Safer) Oils........

And,..........
I Agree that the Government has Little or No Business Regulating what I Eat, or Do, that Doesn't effect Other People.........
Aka., Seatbelt laws, Helmet laws, Smoking laws, Eating laws.........
And the Biggy,..... Anti-Gun Laws...............

tommays

Admiral

You dont need to look to far to see the dammage are current diet is causeing :(

The Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2002 was $132 billion and a lot of is just from eating bad food from childhood that has become so easy to get

Tommays

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

jtexas said:
To outlaw something like "trans fats" should need some kind of overwhelming evidence of harmfulness..

An epidemic of obesity isn't enough evidence for you?

Of course they should stop using trans fats.

stevieray

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Food that is manufactured & packaged (like you buy in a grocery store) has to be labeled properly for content by law so you can CHOOSE which items are best for you. Market will eventually weed out the bad items - people will stop buying them & mfrs will be forced to make healthier items to keep competitive. In prepared foods (like in restaurants) you have little (maybe choosing broiled or fried) or no control over how the food is prepared, so I think some regulation here might be helpful. I don't see how they could put content info for every item on the menu, which would be the equivalent of package labeling.

waterinthefuel

Commander

I normally agree with JB, but this time he's not on my side with this. The gov't shouldn't regulate what we eat, period. Zero, zip, zilch.

Just like seatbelts, I have a right to kill myself, whether it be cigs, trans fats, or not wearing a seatbelt.

Get the dayum gov't out of our lives! If you are too stupid to make your own decisions go jump in a hole, don't have regulations for your stupidity cast on me!

KaGee

Admiral

tommays said:
You dont need to look to far to see the dammage are current diet is causeing :(

The Economic Costs of Diabetes in the U.S. in 2002 was $132 billion and a lot of is just from eating bad food from childhood that has become so easy to get

Tommays

Tom I live with a Type I diabetic... it's hereditary... had nothing to do with her diet. That said, I WATCHED WITH SHOCK as my wife's niece munched down a big bag of Skittles over the Thanksgiving weekend. Her mother sitting besides her, not saying a word. Are we going to outlaw candy too, simply because a mother is too stupid to bring some common sense into what she lets her daughter eat?

tommays

Admiral

The govermant is allready in your life thats why they call it the

Food and Drug Administration

I am sure your really happy that RED food color is safe to eat BUT to dangerous to use in soap :)

HINT HINT the food companys have a better lobby

Tommays

QC

Supreme Mariner

"Any Grease, Is Better,..... Than No Grease At All".........

Bondo,

Considering that signature, this would seem to be right up your alley . . . pah-duh-duh-chishhh

BTW, my "don't know ship" comment is perfectly illustrated by this trans fat stuff. Margarine was supposed to be better for you, but butter has no trans fats and margarine does. I'm gonna go spread a heaping helping of health food (HHH) on my toast. If I do it just right a little will drip from my chin. Awesome!

How many of you drink skim milk, but also eat Ice cream? Whipped cream? Butter? I'll eat a double bacon cheese burger and chase it with a diet coke. I guess that's similarly inconsistent, but my way is better!!

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

waterinthefuel said:
I normally agree with JB, but this time he's not on my side with this. The gov't shouldn't regulate what we eat, period. Zero, zip, zilch.

Just like seatbelts, I have a right to kill myself, whether it be cigs, trans fats, or not wearing a seatbelt.

Get the dayum gov't out of our lives! If you are too stupid to make your own decisions go jump in a hole, don't have regulations for your stupidity cast on me!

Seat belts, trans fats, money trails...
This is not an argument, just an observation:
(theory) seat belts save lives, highway deaths cost insurance companies lotta money, there's your seat belt money trail. The trans fat money trail must be around here somewhere. Is there a "restaurant inspectors" union?

JB's point is good, it's not a ban. Stevieray, "the market" can still weed out transfats if "it" so desires...if it's really that important, customers will be attracted to restaurants that announce "NO TRANSFATS" and the others will go outta business.

What about all those hot dog venders? Can ya make a good street vendor hot dog without transfats?

What's a transfat anyway...is it like a wider trans am? 8)