My first boat restoration

Hello all, this is my first time doing this thread thing so bare with me if I screw it up. Currently I am working on two boats... I know I should only do one at a time but.... Any ways, the first boat that I have been working on for a while is the exact same boat as Singout, another member with an awesome thread on how he took a raggedy redneckified shallow tri hull and turned it into the cream of the crop fishing vessel. Like his the transom and floor were completely rotted out due to miscellaneous objects being screwed to the deck and holes being drilled into the transom for who knows what! I started with this boat by taking it off the trailer and restoring the trailer first. I then started by removing all of the hardware and sanded all the old paint off, right down to the fiberglass. Unlike Singout's project, I removed the top half of the boat using some ingenuity and good old fashion elbow grease... It also helped to drill out all the thousands of rivets?! I then removed the sections of the floor that were completely destroyed by water damage. I did this by using a dremall with a small cutting wheel and some old fashioned elbow grease. I continued to pull up all the old wood screws using a pry bar. "The screws were in no shape to even try and unscrew them.;) I then proceeded with the transom...:mad: what a pain in my keester! I tell you what... If you have anger issues, this is the way to relieve allot of tension. I did not cut out the whole transom. When I removed the top half of the boat it revealed the top half of the transom "which I could remove with my fingers:eek: the bottom half was not easy at all even though it was rotten as well. I used a cat?s paw and a flat pry bar and a framing hammer to remove the rest. That is about where I'm at now with that boat. If I can figure out how to upload pictures to this thread I'll do so. :confused:

Attachments

• 104_0991.jpg
    104_0991.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 104_0992.jpg
    104_0992.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Myboatandtrailor031.jpg
    Myboatandtrailor031.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 0

61 Holiday

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: My first boat restoration

KEMPERFIDOORDIE,
From the sounds of it and the looks of it, I'd say you were on the right track. Way to go! If you look around here, you'll find a thread on just about anything, what you can't readily find, there are all kinds of talented folks just waiting to help you out. Remember, you have to start somewhere.
Enjoy and keep the pictures coming,
John

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey great to see you got your thread started!! It would be really nice if you could resize those pix. If you used photobucket, go on the site and click the pix you want to post. Click "edit". Then "resize". Would be easier to see your boat if they were bigger. Thanx!

Btw it looks alot like my boat, as you said! If it does turn out to be the same, this is the first one I've seen like mine! Looking forward to seeing it in closer detail!

jonesg

Admiral

Keep posting , it will keep you motivated.

Anyway, so you popped the cap and gutted the transom, what about the stringers and deck?

Singinout,

For the life of me I have tried to resize the photos... I can't figure it out I have resized them using photo bucket but for some reason when I load them on to Iboat they stay small.

Jonesg,

After poping the cap and gutting the transom I ripped up the floor. There were no wooden stringers left to remove just rotted ply wood on top of the fiberglass thingys (stringers / water channel) in the center of the hull. That is about as far as I have gotten with that boat. I have purchased a new boat to restore. I have already started a thread on that one as well. This boat is 3 times bigger and has less work to do to it. I don't know what the make or model is do to the lack of data plates.

Attachments

• 104_1513-1-1-1-1.jpg
    104_1513-1-1-1-1.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 0

vegasphotoman

Lieutenant

Hi Kemp

Good job starting out, sounds like you are already addicted (multiple boats) well the world is your oyster now! just a matter of $$ and time.
Post a link to your photobucket is an easy way for us to look at high res images
also, when you post, you can make the pics show up in this forum big, by linking them to photobucket. go to your photocuket in another window, make the pic big that you want to show (limit is 5 total per post) right mouse click over the pic and COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, then go to the window with the forum posting you are working on, ....see the little mountain image below smilies....click that and paste in you address, then preview post and you will see the image.
it is still limited ini size to 95k ea.

Cheers and post lots of pics! keep up the good work and use ALOT of resin! lol

ps goto my thread to see how it looks, adding big pics in by linking, if you are not sure

NetMatrix

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the board, and I myself am doing a first time project. It looks like you got a good boat to work on. I really wish that I could be of some good help on here, but sadly I'm still learning how it's all done.

Keep up the great work though. It will be a nice looking boat when you are finished with it.

This is a test to see if this picture thing is working.

104_1513.jpg

So like I was saying... I got a new, bigger project to work on. I have some pictures of the transom and from my understanding, the guy that sold me the boat said that the top half of the transom was rotten so he removed it and then sprayed marine grade foam and glassed over it. I know that that will not hold by itself. here's the question. Shoud I replace the whole transom or should I get a stainless steel shroud that formed to the transom? Also, can anyone tell me what kind of boat this is? Make / model?

104_1517.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/kemperfidoordie/104_1519.jpg

http://i977.photobucket.com/albums/ae253/kemperfidoordie/104_1531.jpg

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I am just learning about all this rebuild stuff too, but I would suggest ripping out the whole transom and bringing in new. Maybe it's just me being new to restoring, but (referring to your transom) sounds like you got a hack job on your hands:eek:
Good luck with whichever route you take!

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hey sweet! You got the pix thing figured out!! Now could you post those original pix in large size? Please? Id really like to see them better. And if you had additional photos, plz post!! :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Looks like it could possibly be a Thundercraft to me. Cool and unusual old boat. As for the transom, you really need to dig out all the foam and wood and replace it properly with new plywood.

Hey sweet! You got the pix thing figured out!! Now could you post those original pix in large size? Please? Id really like to see them better. And if you had additional photos, plz post!! :)

Sorry it's been so long! My Unit has deployed to the Sandbox AGAIN! I don't have much time do do anything really. But I assure you, when I get time I will get some more work done on both boats and I will insert new pix!

Kemperfidooride

Hi Kemp

Good job starting out, sounds like you are already addicted (multiple boats) well the world is your oyster now! just a matter of $$ and time.
Post a link to your photobucket is an easy way for us to look at high res images
also, when you post, you can make the pics show up in this forum big, by linking them to photobucket. go to your photocuket in another window, make the pic big that you want to show (limit is 5 total per post) right mouse click over the pic and COPY IMAGE ADDRESS, then go to the window with the forum posting you are working on, ....see the little mountain image below smilies....click that and paste in you address, then preview post and you will see the image.
it is still limited ini size to 95k ea.

Cheers and post lots of pics! keep up the good work and use ALOT of resin! lol

ps goto my thread to see how it looks, adding big pics in by linking, if you are not sure

Thanks for the advice! I was able to upload my pix so all can see without a magnifying glass

Lightnig

Petty Officer 2nd Class

... As for the transom, you really need to dig out all the foam and wood and replace it properly with new plywood.

I'll second that.

Even though I am new to the boating game, replacing Plywood with foam in a load bearing part of the transom not only sounds half-@55ed, it sounds downright dangerous to me!

Miranda

Cadet

Hi Kemp, using my wifes laptop so its on her member name Im Vegasphotoman..

you're welcome on the info...took me a few weeks to figure all the gizmos out in this forum
Looks like you got your work cut out for ya
should be a smooth riding boat when youre done!
keep posting picvs and data

Vegas

ps started ANOTHER project HERE PROJECT JEZABEl 1981 23' Sleekcraft Executive
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=353053