trailer wheel removal

uncleop

Recruit
I have an old Seminole trailer (manufactured April 1976) and I"m trying to figure how to get the wheels off. Any hints would be helpful; it appears that the lug nuts are on the inboard side of the wheel, and I can"t see an obvious way to remove the wheels from the outboard sides via the hubs. But I've never removed the wheels from a boat trailer before.

Lots of rust on the wheel nuts - the trailer had been sitting in a barn before it came to me. The tires are in poor shape, which is why I need to remove the wheels in the first place.

Thanks!

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: trailer wheel removal

you obviously need bearings also. take the cap of the center of the hub, remove cotter pin and nut, wheel, hub, bearings and all should slide off. the you can investigate more. you may have to replace the hubs.

uncleop

Recruit
Re: trailer wheel removal - pictures

Re: trailer wheel removal - pictures

Here's a picture of the "front", or "outboard" side of the wheel: http://i14.tinypic.com/2zxo5qf.jpg

and a picture of the "back", or "inboard" side: http://i12.tinypic.com/2wdbzb5.jpg

I'd recommend an "open link in new tab-or-window" with those links since the width and height of the images are greater than is commonly considered forum-friendly.

Yeah, a good deal of rust and dirt, and because of how it's currently stowed in my garage, it's tough to get a better angle at the moment. The hubs don't seem to move easily in an obvious way, so I'm eager to hear what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks for taking the time to look.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Better yet, save the time taking the wheels off and take the wheels/axle/springs off all at once. They all need to come off and be replaced. The rust seems to bad and one of the leafs in the second pic seems like it is broken off.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

take the buddy bearing off (the center) then do as i said in the first post. take the wheel assembly to a tire dealer and get them to break the bolts with the impact wrench. the axle is a solid axle, if the spindles are not bad, it is reusable, if cleaned use and painted (rustoleum), the springs, and mounting hardware all need to be replaced.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Take the buddy bearing off like Tasha said and throw the rest of the running gear away. I hope the rest of the trailer is in better shape.

uncleop

Recruit

bruceb58 said:
I hope the rest of the trailer is in better shape.
The frame appears to be in fine shape. No rust or broken welds, except where it appears someone brazed or welded on a plate toward the "bow" of the trailer. My guess is that the wheels were regularly allowed immersion in water.

This trailer will probably never be registered for road travel, since it will be used in-yard for storage of the boat or to take it down our gully (former launch-way on land that was formerly a clipper ship yard).

So I could possibly get away with keeping the crummy leaf springs; the boat is pretty light anyway.

My biggest challenge now will be to get the hubs off. Do they screw on? Are they a rotate-and-lock?

Thanks again.

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

Your question about the crummy springs. If the trailer is never going farther than your gully you can probably get away w/o springs at all. Just attach your axle directly to the trailer. But, If you ever want to travel more than that get some new springs.