will not start

Bulla

Recruit
Hi, I've just got my first boat. It's been sitting in a barn for a couple of years. The boat is in fantastic condition but the motor will not start. It's a
'79 Johnson 70HP outboard. The problem seems to be the starter. The wheel on the starter is spinning when I try to turn her over but is not raising to engage the flywheel. Nothing seems seized. I have put fresh gas in the tank and checked the sparks. I usually try to figure things out before paying mechanics to do it. Any advice or help with this would be great. Thanks in advance!

petryshyn

Commander
Re: will not start

you may have a low battery or the drive gear is seized up on the starter motor shaft. Lift up the drive gear and lube the spline below it with oil.
Also, check your battery.

cheers

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

90% of starter problems are bad connections. remove and clean both ends of the battery cables, so that they are shiney, also the cable from the solenoid to starter. check for nicks in the cables. and make sure the connectors are on the wire good. the cable tend to corrode from the inside out, if nicked, corroded wires, and connections, heat up and cause resistance to the follow of electricity, thus the starter doesn't get enough. you can also take jumper cable pos battery post to large post on starter. with a good connection, the engine should spin. then if the starter is good clean everything and retest. then trouble shoot solenoid. starters can be rebuit at a starter/alternator shop, much cheaper than a new one.

also have the battery load tested at the auto parts store, free, i've had new batteries go bad

Bulla

Recruit

Cheers guys. I will give alll your advice a go. Hopefully I can post a positive reponse soon. Thanks again!

Bulla

Recruit

I checked the power and it needed more. I gave it a jump and the fly wheel is turning. The problem I have now is it wouldn't start even though the wheel was turning. I gave it a shot of liquid fire in the air intake to see if it would fire up and it did. So now I know the motor works. I will check the battery to see if there is enough amperage going through. It says that it has power (the indicator is green) but I'm still not getting enough to the starter. If it's not the battery I'll check the wiring. The motor died after a few seconds of running so I checked to see if it was getting fuel. I'm getting fuel right up to the carbs but it seems to stop right at the main carb (middle one)and there is a bit of preasure there. Is my next step to pull the carbs and rebiuld them? I guess I'll be very familliar with the outboard by the time I'm done here LOL! Thanks again for any advice.