How to become a US citizen?

ezbtr

Commander
I have a friend who has lived and worked here for 10 years, speaks English well and a great guy. He also has a son that was born here. He has a travel visa, but wants to become a citizen. How does this process work?? Thanks

Last edited:

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: How to become a US citizen?

What status is he? A travel visa wouldn't be legal that long. My wife is foreign and we've been through the process, legally, with her family -mother, father, and brother (who is a lower priority class).

The child can't file for a parent until they are 18; or in other words, the parent can't use the child as a justification

Lordy.the question is so polictical Im surprised it hasnt aready been locked.

Splat

Lieutenant

Lordy.the question is so polictical Im surprised it hasnt aready been locked.

I disagree, the question at hand is how to gain LEGAL citizenship. I don't believe this is political in the least, and welcome your friend as a citizen.

Bill

ezbtr

Commander

What status is he? A travel visa wouldn't be legal that long. My wife is foreign and we've been through the process, legally, with her family -mother, father, and brother (who is a lower priority class).

The child can't file for a parent until they are 18; or in other words, the parent can't use the child as a justification

would an immigration attorney be the way to go? He doesnt even know where to start... Thanks again..

ezbtr

Commander

I disagree, the question at hand is how to gain LEGAL citizenship. I don't believe this is political in the least, and welcome your friend as a citizen.

Bill

absolutely. I wish we had more legal or other wise folks here of this caliber!

jonesg

Admiral

No you don't need no lawyer, just download the forms, fill them out and start the process.
Me and my wife both went through the process, if you can fill out the forms to get a drivers license you can do this too.
you'll need certified copies of birth certificate, photos and the fazoo.

And children born on US soil are used as justification, legally you cannot be deported in that situation. Don't you guys read newspapers?

My wife just became a citizen, the fee has jumped to $1000.:eek:

If he's here illegally he will have to go to an interview and pay a $1000 fine.

I may add that since we are talking about doing the right thing that if he has been here of the age 18 to 26 and did not register with the selective service as REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW it would be best for him to turn himself in to the federal police and deal with this serious violation just to keep everything straight.Meeting responcibility . Thats what I love to see.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

The parent can be deported with a US citizen child. The rights don't go to the parents or we'd have a lot of pregant tourists overstay their tourists visas.

We gone through the legalization process with my wife, her parents, their son (her brother), and our adopted foreign child (5 people and 4 different routes).

It was lots of paperwork!!! A lawyer is a WASTE of time unless he is illegal already. I suspect he is- illegal now.

To get a greencard, you have to either be sponsored as an immigrant from another green card holder or citizen, or, win a green card lottery, or qualify for a visa that can be converted to a green card upon certain conditions (student, work visa, investor, etc.).

If he is illegal already, then I am not familiar with any amnesty routes to become legal.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I may add that since we are talking about doing the right thing that if he has been here of the age 18 to 26 and did not register with the selective service as REQUIRED BY FEDERAL LAW it would be best for him to turn himself in to the federal police and deal with this serious violation just to keep everything straight.Meeting responcibility . Thats what I love to see.
I had to look that one up.....pretty severe penalties possible:

While a draft is not likely, registration for the draft (for males) is a reality. Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service.

CONSEQUENCES FOR NOT REGISTERING
The maximum penalty for failing to register with Selective Service is a $250,000 fine and up to five years in prison. Failure to register will cause ineligibility for a number of federal and state benefits including:
FEDERAL JOBS
A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal government and the U.S. Postal Service. This applies only to men born after December 31, 1959.
STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men who are not registered with Selective Service cannot obtain Federal student loans or grants. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.
CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship, if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday and was required to register.
FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly JTPA) offers important job-training opportunities. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service.
STATE JOBS, LOANS, AND TRAINING
Most states have added additional penalties for those who fail to register with Selective Service.
STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE LEGISLATION
As of May 16, 2002, 19 states, 2 territories, and the District of Columbia have enacted driver's license laws supporting Selective Service registration. They are Oklahoma, Delaware, Arkansas, Utah, Georgia, Hawaii, Alabama, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, South Dakota, Mississippi, Idaho, Virginia, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands.

Andy in NY

Commander

I had to look that one up.....pretty severe penalties possible:

While a draft is not likely, registration for the draft (for males) is a reality. Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service.

CONSEQUENCES FOR NOT REGISTERING
The maximum penalty for failing to register with Selective Service is a $250,000 fine and up to five years in prison. Failure to register will cause ineligibility for a number of federal and state benefits including:
FEDERAL JOBS
A man must be registered to be eligible for jobs in the Executive Branch of the Federal government and the U.S. Postal Service. This applies only to men born after December 31, 1959.
STUDENT FINANCIAL AID
Men who are not registered with Selective Service cannot obtain Federal student loans or grants. This includes Pell Grants, College Work Study, Guaranteed Student/Plus Loans, and National Direct Student Loans.
CITIZENSHIP
The U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) makes registration with Selective Service a condition for U.S. citizenship, if the man first arrived in the U.S. before his 26th birthday and was required to register.
FEDERAL JOB TRAINING
The Workforce Investment Act (formerly JTPA) offers important job-training opportunities. This program is only open to those men who register with Selective Service.
STATE JOBS, LOANS, AND TRAINING
Most states have added additional penalties for those who fail to register with Selective Service.
STATE DRIVER'S LICENSE LEGISLATION
As of May 16, 2002, 19 states, 2 territories, and the District of Columbia have enacted driver's license laws supporting Selective Service registration. They are Oklahoma, Delaware, Arkansas, Utah, Georgia, Hawaii, Alabama, Florida, Colorado, Texas, Louisiana, Illinois, Ohio, South Dakota, Mississippi, Idaho, Virginia, Wisconsin, New Hampshire, the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands, and the Virgin Islands.

if he was a not a citizen or trying to become one, he would not have had to register with selective service. that is only if you are between 18 and 26 and are BECOMING a citizen you have to register.

Huron Angler

Admiral

Since he's already been blatantly violating the laws regarding immigration I'm not sure the powers that be would be too receptive to expediting his naturalization requests.

He should have thought about doing this the right way maybe 10 years ago. I'm not sure who is in charge of determining "moral character" but living here illegally for so long may be a strike against him for that requirement.

Eligibility Requirements: All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character. Other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. Citizens, or individuals currently serving in the United States military. Additional requirements include:

-A period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States
-The ability to read, write and speak English
-Good moral character
-Knowledge of the principles of the U.S. Constitution
-Favorable disposition towards the United States
-Ability to pass the United States Citizenship Test

if he was a not a citizen or trying to become one, he would not have had to register with selective service. that is only if you are between 18 and 26 and are BECOMING a citizen you have to register.
Yo.. I talked with the selective service office directly .They told me "ALL males living here between the age of 18 and 26 must register according to federal LAW" REGARDLESS OF IMMIGRATION STATUS" Maybe someone here for an approved brief period of time can avoid it but ALL others including those here illegal MUST register. I was told that even the illegals had to do it and an effort was being made to get the word out but they also saw that few of the illegals were doing it.You needs to get your facts straight...I do

jonesg

Admiral

The parent can be deported with a US citizen child. The rights don't go to the parents or we'd have a lot of pregant tourists overstay their tourists visas..

US immigration will not break up a family when children are legal US citizen.
Heres how it works, they swim across the rio grande, drop a baby on US soil and they're in like Flynn. No tourist visa required.:)

jonesg

Admiral

Since he's already been blatantly violating the laws regarding immigration I'm not sure the powers that be would be too receptive to expediting his naturalization requests.

He should have thought about doing this the right way maybe 10 years ago. I'm not sure who is in charge of determining "moral character" but living here illegally for so long may be a strike against him for that requirement.

Eligibility Requirements: All naturalization applicants must demonstrate good moral character. Other naturalization requirements may be modified or waived for certain applicants, such as spouses of U.S. Citizens, or individuals currently serving in the United States military. Additional requirements include:

-A period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States
-The ability to read, write and speak English
-Good moral character
-Knowledge of the principles of the U.S. Constitution
-Favorable disposition towards the United States
-Ability to pass the United States Citizenship Test

I remember being asked if I was a member of the communist party, well no I voted McCain I think.:)

Those requirements are a joke, there is no requirement to write or speaka da Inglish at all.
And its all yes or no check boxes,
you can put whatever you want, I doubt they even read them.
The citizen test is available in any language you speak, so much for English only.
The oral test is a bigger joke, the woman who tested me must have been a political hire , I knew more about American history than her.

To get legal after being her for decades either apply for amnesty or marry an American and pay the fine. Its that simple.

jonesg

Admiral

Oh yeh, selective service, I came here in 1969, I skipped that.
I did enter college but dropped out after a spell, so I was elegible and excempt depending on the time period.

Later when I became a citizen in 1990 it was not an issue.
They did ask me about it and I gave a couple of reasons, I wasn't here all the time, spent quite a few yrs back in England, lost my green card for a few yrs , enrolled in college etc. They didn't ask for any documentation , I could have said anything. They did ask me to write a letter which was added to my file explaining why but that was it.

I got the impression that they will accept anyone who can get here and is willing to fill out forms and play the game.
The only trick is getting through the airport.

I had a French girl working for me, illegal, cash pay, she wanted to get legal so she went to Canada, flew back to France, got a new passport and re-entered, got married to her American boyfreind and she's a citizen now.
When they asked at logan airport if this was her first visit to USA she just said yes. Done.

I brought another freind over from Ireland, they gave him a hard time at the airport but allowed him in, that was 15 yrs ago, he works in construction.
He's got cancer now, wishes he had gotten legal like i told him yrs ago.