Choke on 1988 90 hp Johnson

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think I have a very simple choke problem. I have no power going to the choke with the key pushed in on the switch. Would the only solution be the choke is not working on the switch? Thanks.

D

DJ

Re: Choke on 1988 90 hp Johnson

I think you mean the primer solenoid?

First off, the red handle needs to be folded back (parallel to the body) for it to work properly with the key.

If there is no power at the wire, you have a switch problem or the wiring between the two.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class

DWJ said:
I think you mean the primer solenoid?

First off, the red handle needs to be folded back (parallel to the body) for it to work properly with the key.

If there is no power at the wire, you have a switch problem or the wiring between the two.

I understand what you have said. The problem I have is that if I leave the red handle on, the motor floods. Will still run but is flooding bad. The way I have to start it is to pump up the bulb and then turn the red handle on for a second or to then cut it off and the motor will run fine.

What do you think I need to check? Thanks.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the ignition switch. Primer solenoid should be wired to "C". Power to C should only be live when the key is pushed in.

D

DJ

Check the ignition switch. Primer solenoid should be wired to "C". Power to C should only be live when the key is pushed in.

Yes, I agree.

Again, make sure you have power to the solenoid when the key is pushed in, with the key on. You can use a 12 volt test light to check that.

I understand what you have said. The problem I have is that if I leave the red handle on, the motor floods. Will still run but is flooding bad.

Do not leave the handle "on" (perpendicular to solenoid body) as the engine WILL flood, as you describe.

With a "working" solenoid, use the following starting procedure.

1. Pump up the fuel line primer bulb.

2. Turn the key to "ON"-NOT START.

3. Hold the key in and count to eight.

4. Release key.

5. Start engine NOT holding key in.

6. "Bump" key in (fuel squirt) to keep engine running, as needed.

I've owned several "crossflow" 90's. By far, that is the best way I've found to start them.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ezeke said:

Would that cause the condition that I am describing? As I said if I cut the red handle on and crank the motor it floods and runs rough. Pushed the key in will it was flooding and made no difference. We put a test light on the primer Solenoid wire with the key pushed in and the light would not come on. Could it be the switch? My boat is a 1988 model so that might be the original switch. Is that common? Thanks

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Based on what you guys have told me it has to be the switch. I use the same starting procedure you just outlined with the red handle parralllel to the primer body. Turn the key and won't crank. Shouldn't you hear the primer solonoid clicking when it is working?

D

DJ

Based on what you guys have told me it has to be the switch. I use the same starting procedure you just outlined with the red handle parralllel to the primer body. Turn the key and won't crank. Shouldn't you hear the primer solonoid clicking when it is working?

Yes, you should hear a "click".

As you are running the engine-NOW, you need to turn that handle back to parallel for running. Otherwise, you will dump serious amounts of fuel into that engine-not good.

Before you condemn and buy a switch, do the basics. This whole thing may be as simple as a ground issue. Crossflow engines are notorious for corroding the negative battery connection, at the engine block. Remove the ground cable from the engine block (battery disconnected) and clean all the surfaces thoroughly. Retest, after that.

Also, grounds in the control box are critical. Make sure those are good. Don't just tighten, remove and clean.

I avoid replacing ignition switches at all costs. Working in the control box is tedius, at best. The wires are short, it's cramped, in there and there is plenty of room for mistakes.

Do dilegence first, check every ground you can find.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The primer solenoid has only two modes: manual and electric.

If you turn the red lever parallel to the cylinder, it is electric and should only prime when activated by pushing in the key.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Jump the primer solinoid to the positive side of the start solinoid, you should here a click. The primer solinoid will activate no matter what position the red lever is in.

jdupree

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all of the suggesions. I will try and trouble shoot this weekend and will let you know what I find.