96 Evinrude v6 - will not cold start

SparkieBoat

Captain
I cannot get my 150 to start when cold...I cleaned the carbs, and checked the fire all seems good. I can shoot a small amount of starting fluid in the carbs and she fires right up and runs great...even idles well...and will restart fine...any suggestions would be appreciated..and thanks for all of those pros who help us noobs, we really really appreciate your time.

Thanks Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain
Re: 96 Evinrude v6 - will not cold start

thanks Tashasdaddy, I read the post ( a great post by thew way ) on cold start.
I do believe that I am starting the engine correctly, the previous owner said that it began doing this about 3 weeks ago, so I feel that there is definatly a mechanical issue here.
The cold start post made me think it could be 1 of 2 things either the solenoid primers or the quick start feature I read about. I believe that I do have the quick start feature..here is a pic of my timing cover.

How can I test the quick start to make sure it is functioning properly and also how do you test the solenoid primer??? thanks a lot for your help it is invaluable.

Attachments

• timing5.jpg
    timing5.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 0

SparkieBoat

Captain

By the way I see you are a Tebow fan..I meet his parents once..they are one of the most awesome families I have ever met.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

A '96 Evinrude will have the qquickstart feature. When you get the motor started does it run t 1100 RPM for a few minutes? If so, quickstart is working, and I would be testing the fuel primer. See if it squirts fuel when you hold the choke button.

If the quickstart doesn't work check the port side temp senser for proper operation.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

to test the primer solenoid, with cover off, turn the key to on, press in on the key, you should hear it click. test 2 pump up the fuel bulb. remove the small primer hose from one of the carbs, now key on, press and hold key in, turn engine over, you should get spurts of fuel out of the hose.

Primer Solenoid
the primer replaced the old choke butterflies in the carborators, pushing in the key activates it, like the old choke plates, but injects fuel directly into the intake.
The red handle is used when your battery is dead, and you have to rope start. You move the handle 180 degrees.
Normal operating position is with the handle back over the body of the solenoid, like in the picture below.

SparkieBoat

Captain

it is raining cats and dogs here..waiting on it to let up so I can go check these things out..no pic showed up for me Tashasdaddy...and I really would like to see it if possible.

Thanks again Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

it looks like the quick start timing thingy is not working..can you give me an idea of what to replace/check. Thanks Sparkie

reeldutch

Lieutenant

Even if quickstart isnt working your motor should fire up when you put the fast idle lever up a bit.

all quickstart is doing is advancing the timing 10*
you can do the same with the fast idle flever.

so test that and if it still doesnt start your not geting fuel in the motor.
indicating your primer isnt doeing its job.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Post your "actual" starting procedure.

SparkieBoat

Captain

i also just found out that my throttle cable is not working properly ( sticking and hard to push ) I will oil it up and see if I can get it to free up. It does almost nothing with the fast idle lever is all the way up. and doresnt throttle up till the shift lever is almost all the way extended..So that is one problem...but the quick start thing is still not working...but if the fast idle will work instead I will fix the cable and then see what happens....no wonder the previous owners told me it wasnt preforming as well as he thought it should...the throttle cable is in bad shape....I will post my results...thanks for all of the input.

Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

ok I got the cable working pretty well now..Still no cold start...My cold start procedure is 1) pump the bulb till hard. 2) lift fast idle lever to full up position.. 3) turn on ignition which starts the electric fuel pump in the tank and then press key activating the primer for about 3 to 5 secs. 4) while still holding key in to keep primer activated I turn the key to start for about 5 secs.
I usually get nothing, occasionally I get a small poof.
I checked the lines going to the intake from the primer and they are working to that point. I am suspecting a clog inside the intake.
Should I be able to see the fuel going into the intake with the butterflies open and a flashlight looking into the intake??? I noticed a small hole in each intake hole inside the plastic part of the intake manifold between the carb assembly and the engine. I thought that this may be where the primer fuel comes in. Do you think that maybe it is clogged?? and do I have to remove it to clean it out or can I use compressed air or something...already tried spraying carb cleaner in it.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this problem.
Sparkie

jonesg

Admiral

The problem is obvious in your first post,
"it starts if I shoot fuel into carbs."

Choke injector is not working.
It might not be leaking but its not working.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Yes Jones I agree..I was wondering if the hole that I see in the intake manifold is where the solenoid injected fuel goes into the cylinder at. I suppose this is the problem, so I will remove the intake manifold and clean out the injection ports.
Thanks again Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

ok I am not getting any fuel into my intake from the primer solenoid. When I disconnect my hose from the solenoid to the intake it does squirt out fuel. But it seems as if it does not have sufficient pressure to force it thru the intake manifold and into the butterfly. I did see where the fuel is supposed to come out at and it is not.
What is the PSI that the solenoid should produce??? Right now it is very low psi, I can stop both lines with gentle pressure from my finger.

Thanks Sparkie

reeldutch

Lieutenant

Dont worry about the psi from the solenoid.
the psi that comes from the solenoil is actualy comming from your primerbulp and fuel pump.

when you have the hose off and crank the motor over with the primer activated there should be a good squirt of fuel comming out.

if there is fuel comming out than look for blockage in the intake manifold.

try blowing it out with some air. before taking the carbs and throthle body off.

w2much

Lieutenant

Had a similar problem ,same symptoms. It seemed that it was a fuel problem at startup. I too sprayed fuel into the carbs to start.Inevitably the engine would always start. My problem was the ignition switch lanyard cut off. It was slowly failing and I would prime spray the carbs ect and finnally it would start. Now with no fuel system repairs at all and a new ignition switch it starts right up. I have a binnacle mounted OMC control ignition switch. Hope this helps.

SparkieBoat

Captain

Thanks 2Much, but it is not the switch, solenoid is activating.
I did try blowing out with air. I took off the intake manifold on one side. I am suspecting that the gasket may be swollen slightly blocking the path of the primer fuel.
It is a **** poor way to route the fuel through the intake if you ask me, when I saw how it was designed I just shook my head in disbelief. The fuel must route thru a slit in the gasket..if you tighten the bolts so it squeezes the slit closed whala no fuel is going to get to the cylinder. I am pretty sure this is my problem. maybe a new gasket will fix it. Maybe I can find an intake gasket kit that will have them all.
Thanks again for all of the valuable and helpful input from each of you guys.
Sparkie

SparkieBoat

Captain

Ok I just ordered new seals and gaskets for my intake and throttle body. I will let you know my results. I think this could be a result of the stupid bio fuel the gov is forcing us to use....we will see. I will post my results.
Thanks again for all who take the time out to help the seekers of knowledge.
God Bless and good boating
Sparkie

w2much

Lieutenant

2 more cents. My engine would crank fine, the solonoid would of course operate as it should. The thing was I could crank all day but receive only intermittent spark as the lanyard cutoff ignition switch was failing slowly . Look for some simple remedies first.