How difficult is this repair??

Ofc Noobie

Cadet
I just bought my first boat, and I think that the small gouge was made worse after I took her out the first time. Now, I think she's taking on water. My question is, does it look like this will be a difficult repair. I have very limited boating experience, and absolutely no fiberglass experience. The gouge is only about three inches long, and one inch wide. Any help/suggestions/opinions would be greatly appriciated!
Aug18_001.jpg

Aug18_002.jpg

Aug18_003.jpg

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: How difficult is this repair??

Wow, looks like a shark bite!

Sorry, I'm no particular help, but I'd like to know how to fix that as well, and this is a fun way for me to subscribe to the thread!

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Wad it full of Marine-Tex,+ sand it out.... It'll be just Fine...

SeanT

Senior Chief Petty Officer

So, take this example and back it down a few notches - how about a keel that's been beached a few times too many, worn down to the glass, but not leaking. Can I just coat that all with Marine Tex and then paint or something on top?

QC

Supreme Mariner

You don't need (or want) to paint if you are comfortable with the color match.

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

I am no expert, but I have done some fiberglass repairs. I think it looks like the underlying glass is rotten. If so, then Marine Tex will not work. If you can get to the inside area, the repair will be easier and neater.

To do it right you must grind away the bad, rotten, loose glass until you get to solid glass. Then use cardboard, waxed or covered with waxed paper, shaped to the outside of the hull and taped in place with a strong tape. This will be the form, the wax will help the glass release, and the smoother the surface of the "form" the better the result.

Working from the inside, begin by laying a piece of resin soaked chopped mat into the cardboard form, from edge to edge of the old glass, maintaining the required shape. Add successive layers of chopped mat and woven roven, each layer slightly larger than the previous layer. Work out the air bubbles and keep the layers smooth, no more than 3 to 4 layers at a time. Too many layers will generate to much heat and cure too fast. Don't use too much resin, nor too little.

Once the glass has set, remove the form, sand the surface and paint, or gelcoat as desired.

You will need 24, or 36 grit sandpaper to work the fiberglass, 50 and greater for the finishing process. Use high build primer to help cover scratches, and filler for a smooth finished surface.

This is a simplified version of what must be done, but if you do it right, it will out last the rest of the boat.

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

that is way beyond marine tex , go get a Gougeon Brothers [west system] repair manual

WAVENBYE2

Lieutenant Commander

Mine has similar damage caused from the "Bow Roller" and am goint to Marine tex then put a Keelgaurd over the top of it to prevent further damage and from beaching. You can get keelgaurds right here on Iboats, and read about keelgaurd and the added benifits for protection, just what I am going to do(winter stuff )
http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html

Ofc Noobie

Cadet

I appriciate the help everyone! Would the Marine Tex get me through the rest of the season, so I can have the winter to properly repair it? Or, is that just going to make the proper repair more time consuming and/or expensive??

Thanks again for your help!

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

no marine tex here , you have cracking and thats a puncture through the fiberglass, you need pro help

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

Mine has similar damage caused from the "Bow Roller" and am goint to Marine tex then put a Keelgaurd over the top of it to prevent further damage and from beaching. You can get keelgaurds right here on Iboats, and read about keelgaurd and the added benifits for protection, just what I am going to do(winter stuff )
http://www.keelguard.com/keelguard.html

i had a keel guard before i relized it was a gimmick , i sold it on ebay

bigbad 4cyl x2

Petty Officer 1st Class

you guys might try boat yards to help you they are your friend

Bob's Garage

Chief Petty Officer

Don't mean to hijack the thread. But a keelguard, used for what is is intended, is a really great insurance investment. I put a set on my Seacat, even tho they recommended AGAINST it, to protect the keel against damage from beaching. Worked great. Then Saturday I was going out the Homasassa River and got pushed out of the channel, at speed, onto the HARDPAN. Put a hole in the Keelguard, 2 really, but totally protected the boat's keel. Fixed the hole with 5200 and she's good to go. I am very glad I had the guards, will use them again, and recommend them for most boaters.