Anyone Ever Used Trex-Dex?

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi Everyone, I am getting ready to replace my bunks. I read on these posts about the wood rotting out from getting wet all the time. I just had my deck built with trex-decking and there is no way this stuff rots. Any reason why I couldn't put marine carpet over that and put it on my trailer? Thought I would throw that out to everyone to see what you think. Thanks. John

NYBo

Admiral
Re: Anyone Ever Used Trex-Dex?

The standard thickness for decking would be too thin- it would sag, especially in the hot sun. You could double it up, I suppose. But a regular 2x4 or 2x6 painted with exterior paint before putting on the carpeting should last a long, long time.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Those plastic boards do last forever, but they have zero strength.

bitterboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those plastic boards do last forever, but they have zero strength.

I have to agree with this statement. I work for a lumber yard, and while the Trex brand decking looks very good, as was said it has no strength. Even the 2" railing material has only marginal strength compared to standard SPF or Treated 2" material.:)

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have to agree with this statement. I work for a lumber yard, and while the Trex brand decking looks very good, as was said it has no strength. Even the 2" railing material has only marginal strength compared to standard SPF or Treated 2" material.:)

What bitterboater said. Looks good but flimsy. There's a reason we wood butchers don't use it for the structure under the deck.:D

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

You all bring up a very good point. We had a length of the trex-dex left over and I went to bend it and sure enough, it bent fairly easy. You guy's talked me into the 2X6 pressure treated good ole reliable wood. I never thought of painting it before putting it on. Do you think any outdoor paint will do, or even a Stain? Thanks again for all the input. This forum is awesome!!!!! John

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you are going to use pressure treated, no stain or paint necessary. Paint will actually hold moisture in the wood as it will not breath as well. Not only that, but it would need to be seasoned for quite some time (months) before paint will even bond properly to it due to the high moisture content of the wood due to the pressure treating process. Even then, painting it is an iffy process at best.

If using something else like spf ( spuce/ pine/ fir) # 1, #2 or select stuctural , I would go for a high quality penetrating oil stain . Penofin" is pretty good stuff.

BTW -I'd stay away from the white pine varieties of wood (stud grade)

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

use untreated and 3 coats of paint. pressure treated chemicals are rough on metal surfaces and fasteners.

kabcpapc

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Use untreated 2x4 and put several coats of spar varnish on. I did that to the bunks when I bought my trailer back in 1977. They lasted 30+ years and just now need replacing.

mrdancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Another problem with the composite wood is mold - they would get pretty moldy sitting under wet carpet. Solution there would be to get the 100% plastic or PVC decking material, but again, it doesn't have the proper span strength that good ol' wood has.

Another option is to rip the composite or PVC lengthwise and screw it to the TOP of wooden bunks with countersunk screws.

If it were me, I would use PT wood with NO carpet, and put bunk sliks on top - e.g., http://www.surfixinc.com/surfix_trailer_bunkslides.html

jadssh

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks for all the replies guy's. It's been a great help. Just got permission to keep my boat tied up to a side dock while I make the repairs. I'll post pic's of the finished job. Thanks again. John