67 35H.P Evinrude shaft is welded

raymondf

Recruit
I have just bought my first boat it is a 1970 15 foot fiberglass runabout. I am currently replacing all the wood at this time and will be starting on the motor soon. When I bought it the guy told me that he welded the shafts and it is direct drive no reverse or neutrual. How can I fix this problem as I would like to have reverse and neutrual. and was also wanting to know if 35 H.P is good enough for the boat. I will be using it for fishing and crusing around the lake No sking or tubeing. All advice will be appericated.

raymondf

Recruit
Re: 67 35H.P Evinrude shaft is welded

I was just looking at a web site and saw that there was not a 67 35 H.P made. How would I find the motor year? It is a 35 Lark

Paul Moir

Admiral
Re: 67 35H.P Evinrude shaft is welded

Most likely you're going to have to replace the gearset in the lower unit at a minimum, or possibly the entire lower unit. That's the part that the propeller attaches to.

Look between the transom clamps, on top of the tilt/swivel steering bracket and see if you can find a model number on the nameplate. Failing that, check the port transom clamp for a nameplate. If you don't find one in either place, check the engine block near the spark plug end for a convex silver plug, about the size of a quarter with numbers stamped into it.

If none of that works out, post a picture here.