Another Craigslist Story (with a catchy title)

bustermin

Banned
I saw this on C/L this morning, ad reads......

////////////BUTT HEAD ALERT//////////// (FORT LAUDERDALE)

"Most boaters are very friendly people and would never leave another boater stranded on the water.
Last Sunday I was out with the family on the Intracoastal waterway in Lauderdale when I spun a hub on my prop.
There was a fast moving storm approaching and I was drifting fast into the sea wall. I flagged down a passing boater whom I thought was going to help me but instead the butt head decided to watch me hit the sea wall. If you see him out there make sure you give him the finger for me.

Boat name is EMPTY NEST It's about a 30' open fisherman with twin outboards, Light blue in color.
He docks somewhere on middle river."

http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/boa/1292510301.html

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral
Re: Another Craigslist Story (with a catchy title)

Wonder how the story ended, i.e. did he hit the sea wall?

gonefishie

Commander

:D:D That gotta be the funniest craigslist post I've ever read.

45Auto

Commander

Hope they don't start putting Butt-Head alerts on the New Orleans Craigslist. There wouldn't be any room for the ads .......

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I can relate to this guy being irate.

Several years ago, the Bosslady, my daughter, and I decided to make a somewhat short trip down one of our lake's arms. As we started around a bend I noticed a small cuddy close to the rocks with one guy trying to use an oar (he was missing the water by a foot). As I got closer I see another guy in the water trying to keep the boat off the rocks.

So I offer a tow. Seems that they had been fighting the waves and rocks for over an hour and a half. They were passed by hundreds of boats and we were the only ones who even slowed down.

Our short trip lasted 3 hours as their trailer was at the last public access down that arm.

I really felt sorry for them as they spent all winter fixing up a pos and it dies on them 6 miles down stream.

woosterken

Lieutenant

not only is that wrong against human nature :(
but is it not against the marine law? the one that says you have to give help, unless it puts you and yours in danger.

woosterken

tlovelandka

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That's funny... Or should I say the story is funny, not the guy hitting the rocks... That's not cool.

-TLove

TilliamWe

Banned

not only is that wrong against human nature :(
but is it not against the marine law? the one that says you have to give help, unless it puts you and yours in danger.

woosterken

You must render assistance. But what "assistance" means is not set in stone. Also, if they were that close to the sea wall, the other vessel would have been in peril too, so he didn't have to try to stop or tow the other boat. Maybe as he sat there and watched them, he was radio-ing for Coast Guard or Sea Tow? There, he rendered assistance.

skargo

Banned

I wonder why he didn't idle home, a spun prop doesn't typically immobilize one, right?

Still, buttwipes should stop.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I don't boat in Lauderdale, but I'd be willing to bet that there is tidal flow in the ICW there. Fighting tide, wind and waves with a badly spun prop, could be a losing battle.

skargo

Banned

I don't boat in Lauderdale, but I'd be willing to bet that there is tidal flow in the ICW there. Fighting tide, wind and waves with a badly spun prop, could be a losing battle.

Makes sense.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I have gone in reverse for quite a ways before. Sometimes when they're spun, they'll grab OK the other way. Still no fun, though.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I've done what Skargo said, but I can usually duck into a canal and get home by "the back roads,' where wind and tide aren't much of an issue. The last time I had it happen was about 6 years ago and I ran a bit above idle on the main engine, while running the kicker at WOT too. I didn't have a GPS at the time, so I don't know how much speed I was making, but it was probably about 7 mph, or so.

Splat

Lieutenant

And the ad states he had TWIN outboards.

How common is it to loose 2 hubs at the same time. Me thinks there was more that went on here, or it's totally fake,.

Bill

skargo

Banned

And the ad states he had TWIN outboards.

How common is it to loose 2 hubs at the same time. Me thinks there was more that went on here, or it's totally fake,.

Bill

Twin outboards on the boat that refused to offer help ;)

SoFloStone

Seaman

You will NOT idle through the PEV cut, far too much big traffic and current running there.

In saying that, the seawall he is talking about is on the south side of the cut, and probably 100' from the CG station.

i'm not sure what happened in this situation, but it does not surprise me that vessels down here left him to his own peril. Inconsiderate boaters abound in South Florida.

:redface:

Splat

Lieutenant

Twin outboards on the boat that refused to offer help ;)

Yea ok I'll buy that. First tiime I read it was before my coffee in the morning. For some reason I thought he was describing his vessel.

I digress

Bill

skargo

Banned

Yea ok I'll buy that. First tiime I read it was before my coffee in the morning. For some reason I thought he was describing his vessel.

I digress

Bill
I, as many here, realize the importance of the 1st coffee of the day. Therefore, you will not be held culpable. :D