Chicago or theater buffs

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
My anniversary is coming up shortly and i would very much like to take my wife to a broadway type show. The closest city to have something like this is Chicago.

She went to NY to see Phantom, and I know she wants to see Cats and the Lion King. But I don't see any productions being run in Chicago. Is there one that someone could recommend? I have never been to a major production ever. I would love anyones input.

POINTER94

Vice Admiral
Re: Chicago or theater buffs

Thanks roscoe, thats the site I was working off of and I don't think a production based on the collective works of the band ABBA sounds all that wonderful.

I was with my boss from NJ, and he called me a cheap basta$%, for not flying my wife to NYC. You met me, and you know I AM a cheap bast@$#.

Link

Rear Admiral

POINTER94 said:
Thanks roscoe, thats the site I was working off of and I don't think a production based on the collective works of the band ABBA sounds all that wonderful.

I was with my boss from NJ, and he called me a cheap basta$%, for not flying my wife to NYC. You met me, and you know I AM a cheap bast@$#.
Pointer your a good man for even thinking of doing that.
Isn't it the "thought" that counts?? ;)

Maybe we can work together on this and both come out ahead.
Mrs.Link likes that crap also. (my words not yours)
She has a 3 week trip to DC at the end of the year! (work related) and paid for.
I will buy her and her sister tickets for one of them "cat" things.
Good for me.
Give her my camcorder to record it.
Then I will send the tape to you to give to Mrs.Pointer!
Good for you!

We both save! :)
Guy thinking...
Mrs.Link would never do that and
Mrs.Pointer would never buy it!

Back to the "Mans Prayer"

I'm a Man..
And I can change..
If I have to..

????
8)8)

PW2

Commander

We saw "Mama Mia" (The show based on ABBA songs) in Toronto a while back. It was actually pretty good for very light fare.

Not sure what's going on in Chicago, but Toronto is a great place to go for Broadway type shows. It's also a great city to visit for a weekend, and you don't have to spend a fortune like in NYC.

LadyFish

Admiral

I worked for a boradway musical theatre for several years and have seen them all. My favorite is South Pacific, Phantom of the Opera is another great one. Heck there are so many. I find it hard to believe that Chicago dosen't have anything playing. There must be more broadway muscial theatres there that aren't listed.

eeboater

Commander

Pointer -- not sure if you're up for this or not... but Milwaukee has a great theater district. If you check out the Milwaukee Reperatory Theater, they always have great shows and great actors. I know its not "glamourous" like NYC or Chi-town but IMO, I'd rather see a show in the Quadracci Powerhouse Theater than in one of those gigantic theater halls where you are bunched in with a 5000 other people.

Sean

Edit: LMFAO - - I just checked out the link I made for you to the Quadracci Powerhouse theater... right on the front page it says:

"I don’t know whether theater-loving Wisconsinites realize how
lucky they’ve got it, but I can assure them that they don’t need
to go to New York – or even Chicago – to see a good show.”
-Terry Teachout, The Wall Street Journal.

rottenray6402

Ensign

We also saw "Momma Mia" and since I am somewhat of an ABBA fan I loved it. As PW2 said it is light fare but GF & I really enjoyed it.
There is always major productions showing in Toronto if you choose a Canadian trip.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

rottenray6402 said:
I am somewhat of an ABBA fan.

If life were a TV commercial. A big can of beer would now fall on your head.

:) j/k

All are entitled to their own likes and dislikes.
AK Chappy

QC

Supreme Mariner

Mrs. QC loves Broadway shows and she really liked Mama Mia. She saw it in Vegas. Take her there and then you can sneak in some boating on Mead ;)

BTW, I don't go anymore because I can sleep just as well in front of my TV and it's cheaper . . .

POINTER94

Vice Admiral

She deserves this. Heck she went to the I-boats rally in Wisconsin and camping "ain't her bag." I imagine I could see a show, and perhaps even enjoy it. But NYC with everything will be over a grand, and I really want a nice little center counsel to screw around in next summer,:$

I will check out the production in Madison as that is just 45 minutes away. Thanks for the imput, everyone.d:)

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

POINTER94 said:
But NYC with everything will be over a grand, and I really want a nice little center counsel to screw around in next summer,:$

ROFLMAO..... You are a cheap @#$%%$##...just kidding... o:) That just floored me with laughter. (Wife hit me when I reading it and was laughing :'( )

rottenray6402

Ensign

AK Chappy, I don't admit that to everyone (about being an ABBA fan) we all have character flaws! You don't see me picking on Eric for having a Buffalo Bills helmet as an avatar.......... :love:

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

LOL,
I'm just joshin' ya.

I can't pick on Eric either. I have a Browns helmet.

At least his team made it there four times in a row. Even if they did lose all four or 'em.
;)

AK Chappy

Plainsman

Rear Admiral

Thank you for your mercy AK and rotton 8)

And for a second gift Pointer (heard this on the radio today) you could get her golfing shoes with steel cleats. What, you say she doesn't golf? That's ok. Tell her they are so she doesn't slip on the ice while she's washing the car in the winter...d:)

txswinner

Banned

Don't know about Chicago but I suggest inorder of preference:

Les Miserables
Mama Mia
Beauty and the Beast (New York is fab)
Chicago (great in NY and roadshow)
Lion King (a little disappointed in NYC as costumes were a bit worn)
Avoid Porgy and Bess and Madame Butterfy at all cost.

Good luck, theater is a wonderful world.