Remove outdrive to pull engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Remove outdrive to pull engine

Yes, you guys were rite, I pulled the drive last night, only took me about an half hour, MUCH easier that way, so all of you out there saying to pull the engine WITHOUT pulling the outdrive, were dead wrong. I mean it only takes a short period of time.
Like I stated before, this is the 1st time ive worked on a boat, I am very mechanically inclined and comfortable working on cars and such so I took offence to some leaving, in my eyes, rude answers. But its all good
Thanks again to all of you for the help

Sometimes the responses are a little short, but some of the guys here are responding to a billion questions a night... but they do know their stuff, you will learn to respect the way they can take a useless bit of data and figure out the problem.

The motor is now really as easy. now that the outdrive is out (excluding fuel/wiring) you really on have 4 bolts to take off, and pull the motor straight up and out. You can get a boat motor out in an hour if you have done it before.

welcome to the forums...

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

eric; its a little late for this, but if you haven't found it, there is a manual you can down load for your drive and maybe engine.
look in the adults only section at the head of this chapter

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, I found downloaded themanual for my outdrive, but I still need the manual for my engine, its not on there as of yet. So hopefully Ill be able to do so in a bit. Once again, thanks again to everyone out there for the tips and such...

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

Thanks to everyone for helping me out on this one, well, with the exception of those who were rude as hell...You know who you are...

Why do some people, when they hear what they don't want to hear, apply the word "rude"? I'll bet money, that you won't get any hugs around here either.

Isaacm1986

Lieutenant Junior Grade

As I said in the beggining, i have not pulled his exact motor before,

I was just saying what i did with the 350 and volvo drive that i have done in hopes it would help him out. and On that boat you did not need to pull the outdrive, I have also done a 305 on a omc drive and once again did not need to pull the drive to get the motor out, so exscuse me for trying to help.

mkast

Lieutenant Commander

so exscuse me for trying to help.

Read some of the responses on this and other forums, not all of them are accurate. I'm sure you R&R engines without removal of the sterndrive. I'm sure you were "Trying to help."
From your experience, no you don't have to remove the sterndrive. It's time to ask yourself, "Why does the factory want the sterndrive removed before the engine?" When you research this topic, you'll learn why it has to be done that way. Then you can pass on the correct knowledge/help to the individuals asking for the information.

n2ostroker

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I was just saying what i did with the 350 and volvo drive that i have done in hopes it would help him out. and On that boat you did not need to pull the outdrive, I have also done a 305 on a omc drive and once again did not need to pull the drive to get the motor out, so exscuse me for trying to help.
You can pull the engine on those and a Mercruiser without pulling the drive but you shouldn't. You can tear things up doing it. I've pulled one without pulling the drive and it was a pita to get back in. That was before I knew better. Doesn't matter the make, you should always pull the drive. It's only a $10 gasket and 15min to do so. If you don't you might be in for a new gimble, coupler, input shaft, or whatever else you break along the way.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

So what versions of Volvo and OMC did you do this with. Just curious!

Bondo

Staff member

well, with the exception of those who were rude as hell...You know who you are...
and such so I took offence to some leaving, in my eyes, rude answers.

Ayuh,... I Do know Who I am,+ usually Exactly What I'm doing....

Would it have been Better if I had just let you tear the motor out the Wrong way,..??
Should I have added a Smilely face so it wouldn't have seemed so Rude,..??

I'm struggling along trying to help You out, typing all this Information out with a Single Digit,...
I'm a Mechanic,... Not a Novelist....
Do you want the Right information,..??
Or,..
Do you want nice polite FALSE information,..??
Maybe if I Did have a copy of the manual you pm'ed me about, I wouldn't have been called Rude,..??

At this point I really Don't Care,....
I Hate 470s,...
And,...
I Don't particularly like being Bytched at because of my Short, to the Point CORRECT answers...
Believe Me,.... I Won't be Rude to You,.. Ever Again.........

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Why do some people, when they hear what they don't want to hear, apply the word "rude"? I'll bet money, that you won't get any hugs around here either.
You know what Mkast, im NOT here to make friends nor HUGS, lol. SOME of you guys need to maybe goto a class on rudeness. The way some of you fly off at the handle, JUST for asking a question is rude as hell. Im guessing these people arent married, I dont think a lady would put up with that type of attitude.
Its not that I didnt hear what I wanted to hear, thats not it at all bud............

ericcarr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ayuh,... I Do know Who I am,+ usually Exactly What I'm doing....

Would it have been Better if I had just let you tear the motor out the Wrong way,..??
Should I have added a Smilely face so it wouldn't have seemed so Rude,..??

I'm struggling along trying to help You out, typing all this Information out with a Single Digit,...
I'm a Mechanic,... Not a Novelist....
Do you want the Right information,..??
Or,..
Do you want nice polite FALSE information,..??
Maybe if I Did have a copy of the manual you pm'ed me about, I wouldn't have been called Rude,..??

At this point I really Don't Care,....
I Hate 470s,...
And,...
I Don't particularly like being Bytched at because of my Short, to the Point CORRECT answers...
Believe Me,.... I Won't be Rude to You,.. Ever Again.........

I wasnt bitching at you for the short correct answers, Its the way you came off. I mean, just answer the question, thats all we need to do on here, were all here to help each other out on here, So if youre gonna get an ATTITUDE, then dont bother............................

loppster

Seaman Apprentice

I have only noticed one rude poster in this thread.....Eric.....

Status
Not open for further replies.