Cable won't move! How to get drive into forward?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Cable won't move! How to get drive into forward?

Okay, going to install the new shift cable later this upcoming week. My question is: since the cable didn't shift at all, I had to separate the lower unit from the upper, then I removed the upper with the shifter in neutral. The manual says it has to be in forward gear when installing. How am I suppose to install the new cable with it in neutral? Which steps in which order need to be taken?

dubs283

Vice Admiral

I do have manual #6 in hard copy that I've been using.

you're gonna want to follow the instructions in your manual #6 for shift cable installation

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

you're gonna want to follow the instructions in your manual #6 for shift cable installation

Yeah, I understand that. Did you read where I said I have the upper and lower separated??? Manual doesn't state anything about cable installation when the two are separated.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

Manual doesn't state anything about cable installation when the two are separated.

because when you re-install the drive, it won't be separated

don't know why you would re-install the upper only

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

because when you re-install the drive, it won't be separated

don't know why you would re-install the upper only

Sure it would. If I put the lower and upper together, how am I going to shift it into forward without the cable installed?

What I want to do is, since it's in neutral. Install the shift cable (in neutral) then bolt on the upper then the lower then shift into full forward (with the prop turned counterclockwise) then adjust the shift cable accordingly.

I need to know if that is correct before I do it.

dubs283

Vice Admiral

If I put the lower and upper together, how am I going to shift it into forward without the cable installed?

when you put the two halves together, be sure the lower is in fwd gear by turning the driveshaft clockwise while rotating the splined shift shaft clockwise as well.

once in fwd you will see the propshaft rotating clockwise as you rotate the driveshaft clockwise

when installing the upper on the lower make sure the shift arm is facing forward (straight) while lining up everything

once together, verify the shifting by rotating the splined shaft on the upper and rotate the shift arm and notice how the propshaft will rotate clockwise for fwd and counterclockwise for rev

shift arm straight = fwd, shift arm facing port = rev, in between these two extremes is neutral

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

when you put the two halves together, be sure the lower is in fwd gear by turning the driveshaft clockwise while rotating the splined shift shaft clockwise as well.

once in fwd you will see the propshaft rotating clockwise as you rotate the driveshaft clockwise

when installing the upper on the lower make sure the shift arm is facing forward (straight) while lining up everything

once together, verify the shifting by rotating the splined shaft on the upper and rotate the shift arm and notice how the propshaft will rotate clockwise for fwd and counterclockwise for rev

shift arm straight = fwd, shift arm facing port = rev, in between these two extremes is neutral

Ok, so it's ok to install the shift cable first, then do the steps you mentioned. Then move the shift lever into forward then adjust the cable accordingly?

ziggy

Admiral

this in fwd. gear thing is about 2 things best i understand. 1 is ya want everthing timed the same. the lower in fwd. gear. is when the prop is locked ccw. the upper in fwd. is about having the shift shaft coupler facing fwd. so that when you slid the upper onto the bellhousing that the shift shaft coupler is in a condition where the two will mate.
IMG_1516.jpg

in this pic of a 1 drive in neutral, you can see that if you were to remove the drive by sliding it aft. it would not slide. the shift shaft coupler would prevent disengagement of the coupler itself.
so once ya got your cable installed, from the inside of the boat, you can move this cable. this in return moves the shift slide. that's all that happens at that point. then you put the shift lever into the slot on the shift slide. so, then when you move the cable inside the boat, the slide moves in and out, + since the lever is now engaged in the slide, the lever moves. this lever is connected to the shift shaft in the bellhousing. so. just move the cable to a position that when the slide is engaged with the lever that the shift shaft itself is pointing fore and aft. then, if your installing the upper only. all you do is line up the shift shaft in the upper, facing fore and aft with the fore and aft facing shift shaft in the bellhousing. the two will then mate....

i think ya should put the upper and lower back together on the bench too. you'll be able to shift it manually via the shift shaft coupler in the upper. when the upper and lower are mated correct. the shift shaft coupler in my pic will be facing fwd. when in fwd. gear. then i'd hook up the shift cable to the shift plate inside the boat. put the helm in fwd. put your barrels to 6'' and put the cable on. then go look and see if your shift shaft coupler isn't facing fwd. it should be. then mate the drive to the boat..
by all means. read the book very closely. i've found that mercruiser packs a lot of info into one sentence. it's easy to miss a step. so read it close. word for word. least that's the way i have to read it.. + i read it over and over till it sinks in as to what i need to do..

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

grease your cable shift slide to hold it in place or it wii faall out of position. now lay on your back on ground and look up you will see the foot and shoe under the bell housing on the outside. they have to slide into each other so they have to be straight to each other. the foot use your hand to make it straight and turn prop ccw or it will move very easily. the shoe your shifter cable should put that straight by shifter in fwd. or by hand at transom inside boat. i am kind of lost where you are at with this project? upper together with lower?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

grease your cable shift slide to hold it in place or it wii faall out of position. now lay on your back on ground and look up you will see the foot and shoe under the bell housing on the outside. they have to slide into each other so they have to be straight to each other. the foot use your hand to make it straight and turn prop ccw or it will move very easily. the shoe your shifter cable should put that straight by shifter in fwd. or by hand at transom inside boat. i am kind of lost where you are at with this project? upper together with lower?

First off, Ziggy. thank you for the pics and the step by step! Pics really help!

as far as where I am with this, I'm waiting for the OEM shift cable to arrive on Friday. the upper and lower are separated in my garage at this time

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

First off, Ziggy. thank you for the pics and the step by step! Pics really help!

as far as where I am with this, I'm waiting for the OEM shift cable to arrive on Friday. the upper and lower are separated in my garage at this time

Got the shift cable installed, and I'm getting ready to put the outdrive back on. (they sent me the gasket that has 3 holes on one side, I need the one that has 2)? I have a question regarding the shift lever, When I move the shift slide to align the shift shaft, the little "ball" at the top of the slide is at the point to where its just about out of the slide. Is that a problem? When the drive is on will it prevent it from coming out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Got the shift cable installed, and I'm getting ready to put the outdrive back on. (they sent me the gasket that has 3 holes on one side, I need the one that has 2)?

Don't worry about the 3rd hole in the gasket. You don't need it and it won't hurt anything being there. All the gaskets have the third hole.

I have a question regarding the shift lever, When I move the shift slide to align the shift shaft, the little "ball" at the top of the slide is at the point to where its just about out of the slide

You got it just about right.
Put the drive on and do the final adjutments.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

Don't worry about the 3rd hole in the gasket. You don't need it and it won't hurt anything being there. All the gaskets have the third hole.

ok, thanks.
the pic showed both gaskets. The only reason I'm worried is that there is a little indention on the upper drive and with that 3rd hole it hardly has any gasket material to cover it. But if you say it's ok, I'll go with that Other than the adjustments, anything else I'm missing?

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

In the kit came several different sized O-rings, some black some orange. Are they all to be used? the only one that I know of that I can use is the black one for the water passage. And that one almost seems too small?

Don S

That kit is used on several different models of the same style drive. Use the orings and gaskets necessary for your drive. Discard the rest.

smithrock

Petty Officer 1st Class

That kit is used on several different models of the same style drive. Use the orings and gaskets necessary for your drive. Discard the rest.

10-4! The one that is the closest fit for the water passage still seems a bit small, but it will have to work. I'll probably have to use a little grease to hold it while I mount the outdrive.

Don S

I use bellows adhesive, and OEM gasket kits. They fit.

bigskiohio

Master Chief Petty Officer

i glued my water oring in. Then greased the two on drive shaft and glued the big oring in.

Don S

Time to start a new thread for each differnt question.

Now, we have to go back several posts to see what the newest question is.