1967 33 hp ski twin generator/charging problems...

JStreitz

Recruit
Just bought this motor, and it's not charging the battery. I have found a wiring diagram, and everything appears to be wired correctly...What amount of voltage should I be getting direcly off the generator? I was only getting 300 mV AC at about 1/2 throttle. Seems way too low to charge. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1967 33 hp ski twin generator/charging problems...

Hello JStreitz !!

Welcome to iBoats.
You need to measure the battery voltage before and after the motor is running to understand if its truly charging the battery (or not).

Also, put your meter on Volts DC not AC.
If working, the motor will output something in the 13.3 Vdc range.

Please let us know.
CF

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Your D.C. generator may need to be polarized. Do that by using a wire to briefly connect the BAT and ARM terminals on the regulator. Just a brief touch is all it takes, don't let it sit there and cook. And DON'T connect to the FLD terminal, that will destroy the regulator.
The motor has to run approx 2000 rpm or more to charge.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

You do have the ammeter installed that comes with the generator kit, right? Just a glance at it will tell if the generator is working and charging the battery. As I said, it has to be running at a pretty good clip to work. That probably means on the boat, in the water, and in gear. Understanding and repairing D.C. generators is fast becoming a lost art.

JStreitz

Recruit

OK, First off, of course I first tested voltage at the battery itself...that is how I determined that it is not charging. I'm going to try to polarize the generator and see if that changes anything. Unfortunately, having bought the motor used, there is no ammeter. Also, it's good to know that the generator outputs DC...I'm used to car alternators, which output AC voltage to the regulator. Thanks for the help and I'll let you know what happens.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

No ammeter? Is the regulator even connected to the battery? The circuit is through the ammeter.

JStreitz

Recruit

Yeah, I connected the brown lead to B+.

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just to clarify.........

Generators do make AC
Rectifiers conver AC to DC
Regulators make good DC (12~14 Vdc)

Your DMM should be set according to what you are trying to diagnose.

Sorry for the confusion.
CF

F_R

Supreme Mariner

D.C. generators make D.C. The one on his 33 uses a voltage regulator, current regulator, and cut-out relay--all combined in one unit called a "voltage regulator". There is no rectifier, nor is one needed.

A.C. generators, commonly called alternators, make A.C. which has to be rectified to D.C. to charge a battery.

canadian_fisher

Petty Officer 2nd Class

F_R, I agree.

I was more or less trying to clarify the original statement about the Automotive type of Alternator versus a Marine-type alternator.

For example, my 150 Rude pumps 50VAC out of the Stator into a Rectifier / Regulator combo. I can read the AC before it converts into "regulated" DC to diagnose which unit "might" be the culprit.

Cheers. CF

SaltyRob

Cadet

By chance anyone know who manufactured the generator kits for Evinrude? Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

I think it was Delco-Remy but I could be wrong.