Hard Cold start!!

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well here is my dilemma, every time I attempt to do a cold start on my 1990 230hp 5.0LX mercruiser I have a hard time!!! The carb. is a 4-barrel Rochester. I will just about kill the battery every time before it starts. I have replaced plugs/cap/rotor and it did not change anything. I tried pumping the throttle 7-8 times and still nothing. The only way it will start with everything connected is if I pry open the choke and crank for a while. If I disconnect the throttle linkage and open up the throttle, it will start a lot easier. I tried adjusting the idle speed and set it to about 800rpms, but its starting is still the same. I also cleaned the carb. and not much has changed except it's idling a little higher. Once it warms up, it will restart without any problems.

My first thought was that engine was cranking too slow, but after checking a few videos my engine appears to spin at the same speed. If I could manually open carb. while starting with the speed/shift control I believe it would start fine. I don't believe there is a way of doing this besides getting new controls. The control on it is factory "US Marine" controller with Tilt/trim buttons on it. I had an 70hp Evinrude that had a "warm up" lever, which opened up the carb a bit which would be a nice thing to have on this setup. So, does anyone have any suggestions?, It's kind of embarrassing to hold everyone up at the boat launch....

rbh

Fleet Admiral
Re: Hard Cold start!!

Just a couple of thoughts.
are you getting a good shot of fuel when you do the full pump?
When you crank it over cold were is the throttle plate positioned, closed, 10% open 20%, 30% ETC?
I am shooting for the to much fuel/not enough fuel dillema?
rob

bluemarshboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So doing throttle only (us marine model, pulling out on the shifter).... maybe a pump or two doesn't do the trick?

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

So doing throttle only (us marine model, pulling out on the shifter).... maybe a pump or two doesn't do the trick?

I didn't know that this shifter was able to do throttle only.....Oh, oh my face might be getting red here....I'll have to check that out tomorrow.

BTW, it squirts plenty of fuel and the throttle plate is closed.

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I'm having the same problem after rebuilding the carb. Did you rebuild the carb or did this problem just start? I didn't change any of the choke or linkage adjustments so I thought it would remain the same. I noticed the accelerator pump in the rebuild kit is a bit different and it doesn't touch the actuator arm. That results in a bit of a lag when accelerating but it still pumps fuel at start up.

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm having the same problem after rebuilding the carb. Did you rebuild the carb or did this problem just start? I didn't change any of the choke or linkage adjustments so I thought it would remain the same. I noticed the accelerator pump in the rebuild kit is a bit different and it doesn't touch the actuator arm. That results in a bit of a lag when accelerating but it still pumps fuel at start up.

I didn't rebuild it, I bought the boat last year and it's done it always.

I did check my controller and it appears that you can throttle up without the gear engagement (I never new this until bluemarshboater mentioned it). This might be an oops moment, I'll let you know what happens tomorrow.

Alumarine

Captain

As others have said try a couple of pumps and then open the throttle about an 1/8 open in the neutral position and see what happens.

thannah84

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yup, mine is the same way, pull the throttle out towards me, give it a pump, move back to 1/4 way down and start her up....That should do the trick for yours...Doesn't sound like there is anything wrong other than not giving her some choke....

KewlBird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well, I'm not sure how to say this but mmmmmm I'm an idiot. :eek: Only if I would've known that the motor control could move the throttle independepntly I would've spared some embarrassment... Couple of pumps, throttle down a bit and turn the key and voila it fires right up. I think this thread belongs to "stupid human tricks", how far would've I gone? Engine rebuild? That's why when I've sold my previous boats (all outboards till this mercruiser) I would show the new owner how to cold start it.... Thanks everyone and "bluemarshboater" for saying "So doing throttle only (us marine model, pulling out on the shifter).... maybe a pump or two doesn't do the trick?"